Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FW Index: Astra Militarum Preview

Forge World Preview Index: Astra Militarum

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,713 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Want to take a look inside the covers of Imperial Armour – Index: Forces of the Astra Militarum? While we’re sure many of you are still getting stuck into this past weekend’s indexes and devising all sorts of cunning combinations of units, some of you may already be hungry for more. We’ve previewed Imperial Armour – Index: Xenos already, so today we’re looking at the Astra Militarum. Imperial Armour isn’t just a name for this index – it’s absolutely packed with Imperial tanks of all shapes and sizes. One of the largest – and most unusual – is the Malcador Infernus.

https://17890-pressc...usDatasheet.jpg

The Malcador Infernus is a mobile fortress like its brothers, with an enormous wound count, a strong 3+ save and Toughness 8. The key feature of the Infernus is its Inferno Gun. Automatic hits mean that the reduction in Ballistic Skill the vehicle suffers when taking damage is effectively ignored, while the different fuel types give generals a variety of tactical options. Flammable fuel is going to be lethal for tanks and infantry alike, either in stacking up high-strength, highly damaging hits against lone models or barbequing bulky squads of troops. Chemical fuel is going to be a huge threat against monstrous creatures of all type, capable of combining a huge number of hard-to-save wounds. Finally, the Titanic Explosion ability gives the Malcador a chance of doing considerable damage even when it dies – while this would be a potential risk for tanks that sit in your backline, for a frontal assault vehicle like the Malcador Infernus it’s fantastic.

Some of the more esoteric regiments and units of the Astra Militarum are also included, including the iconic Death Riders:

https://17890-pressc...rsDatasheet.jpg

These guys are going to be a valuable addition to any Imperium player’s tactical toolbox. The Death Korps hunting lance allows the Death Riders to threaten a wide range of targets but will be particularly deadly against multi-wound heavy infantry. The Warstrider ability, meanwhile, means that you’ll be able to reach even entrenched enemies. Even if you miss out on the charge, the Krieg Steed’s savage claws pack a decent punch. With a respectable 10” Move, Death Riders can range ahead of your main force to block any nasty assault units from trying to deploy close to your more fragile units, or keep pace with your tanks and transports and shield their flanks. Your opponents are going to find these guys a nightmare to displace, too – a respectable 4+ Armour Save, Toughness 4, 2 Wounds and the Augmented Mount ability means these guys are going to eat up small arms fire.

Dying isn’t even much of an obstacle for these baleful horsemen – like in the background, Death Korps aren’t so much fazed by death as encouraged by it – The Cult of Sacrifice ability significantly reduces the effect of morale tests, while unique Death Korps Orders like Duty Unto Death! allow any models killed in the Fight phase to immediately make a single attack. We haven’t even begun to get into how these guys work with the rest of the Death Korps army, or Death Rider characters like the Death Rider Squadron Commander.

Get the datasheets above (and much, much more) in your copy of Imperial Armour – Index: Forces of the Astra Militarum on forgeworld.co.uk

https://www.warhamme...itarum-preview/

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka, 19 June 2017 - 04:33 PM.
Added the "FW" to avoid confusion.

• Vel'Cona likes this

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,393 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders
Lol, the Death Korps have more Courage than the death Company. When they lose men to morale their men get an extra attack to represent them fanatically charging into the enemy.
  • the jeske, Brother Aiwass and Berzerker88 like this

Previously known as Telanicus

Sanguinary Crusader Page (Lore, Models, Etc)
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen

The Four Star Pact (Chaos Alliance Lore, Model, Etc)

Berzerker88

Berzerker88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 122 posts
  • Chapter Name: Judgement of Brass

Lol, the Death Korps have more Courage than the death Company. When they lose men to morale their men get an extra attack to represent them fanatically charging into the enemy.

Same thing with Berzerkers. I hope this is rectified in our respective Codexes.

Beaky Brigade

Beaky Brigade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 503 posts

Have you seen more than previewed? It only looks like they get an extra attack if they die in combat, the effect of morale is only reduced:

Dying isn’t even much of an obstacle for these baleful horsemen – like in the background, Death Korps aren’t so much fazed by death as encouraged by it – The Cult of Sacrifice ability significantly reduces the effect of morale tests, while unique Death Korps Orders like Duty Unto Death! allow any models killed in the Fight phase to immediately make a single attack.

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts

They redacted how the Cult of Sacrifice rule works in the preview.  Do we have more info on what that actually does?

Anyway, these guys are friggin' beasts. T4, 2 wounds, 4+ save, 4 attacks each, and ignore terrain when charging.  They don't have the neato outflank rule of the regular Rough Riders, but they are dead hard.  Part of me is hoping their commanding officer/commissar guy only gives one order per turn, so I am not tempted to buy another 10. :D  Take some Bullgryns, and you have a solid hammer and anvil combo.  Put the Bullgryns in a Chimera to keep up, and use the tank to soak overwatch.

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,393 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders
Ah, misread that, lol

Edited by Arkangilos, 19 June 2017 - 05:47 PM.

Previously known as Telanicus

Sanguinary Crusader Page (Lore, Models, Etc)
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen

The Four Star Pact (Chaos Alliance Lore, Model, Etc)

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 548 posts

Nothing about R&H...

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts
Well the infernus is a renegade tank ;)

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

DarthWaffle

DarthWaffle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

No Imperial Destroyer Tank Hunter?

Sad Panda. 

"One cannot consider the fate of a single man, nor ten, nor a hundred, nor a thousand. Billions will live or die by our actions here, and we have not the luxury to count the cost." - Inquisitor Lord Kryptman

Beaky Brigade

Beaky Brigade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 503 posts

Sad Panda. 

It's in the book check the contents... Unless you would have liked a preview?

Mitchverr

Mitchverr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

So I dont know if i should be super happy or just glad on this 1. They are obviously really good on the statline etc, I am just kind of sad that their only weapons are a pistol and the lance/generic unamed sword without anything like chainaxe, nothing said of them carrying a cool sword or something so in effect they still do the "same" number of attacks normal riders do correct(not counting the extra hit from the horse)? Theres the side point that the sarge has to lose his lance to pick up a power weapon, unlike the rough rider leader, they also still cant take special weapons which saddens me.

Glad they aint just generic riders though, they do seem heavily setup for doing "massed charge" assaults as before from the looks of them, toughness 4 is a big suprise to me though biggrin.png

Also, that extra cost in power points, thats making me fear they will cost something very very high...

Edited by Mitchverr, 19 June 2017 - 06:36 PM.

DarthWaffle

DarthWaffle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

Sad Panda. 

It's in the book check the contents... Unless you would have liked a preview?

Oh oh! Is it labelled as the Stygies Destroyer Tank Hunter? 

• Beaky Brigade likes this

"One cannot consider the fate of a single man, nor ten, nor a hundred, nor a thousand. Billions will live or die by our actions here, and we have not the luxury to count the cost." - Inquisitor Lord Kryptman

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,028 posts
Death Riders also don't get the funky deployment or special weapons. Giving up the lance for a power weapon is lame. Boo hiss. I want the hades drills and engineer rules.

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,892 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede
Stormhammer rules or bust! Can't wait until the 23rd.

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts

Death Riders also don't get the funky deployment or special weapons. Giving up the lance for a power weapon is lame. Boo hiss. I want the hades drills and engineer rules.

Maybe the Death Rider HQ will have some fancy things ...?

Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

Brother Aiwass

Brother Aiwass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,717 posts
  • Chapter Name: [REDACTED]

Those DKoK looks sweet, I can only imagine how an army of them would look with the new rules. Isn't that I'm going to make one, as I lack the many organs needed to sell so I can afford to field a FW heavy infantry army :(

Stormhammer rules or bust! Can't wait until the 23rd.

Nor do I!

I need to know the rules of the damn Tantalus ASAP!

• Father Mehman likes this
gallery_33122_7839_9820.pnggallery_33122_7839_16895.pngheader-blog.jpg

NatBrannigan

NatBrannigan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 554 posts

Eeeep! The power of that Malacdor main gun!

I was going to pick up a Hellhound but this is sooo tempting. I'll have to get the book and see if I'd rather have a CRASSUS ARMOURED ASSAULT TRANSPORT though, because I've always wanted one :)

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 328 posts
The infernus malcador looks really mean. I might get this one over the other variants for my renegades

Cpt_Reaper

Cpt_Reaper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,940 posts
  • Chapter Name: Angels of Shadow
Seems like I'm not the only member of the Malcador Tank fan club.

God-Potato of Mankind

God-Potato of Mankind

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,511 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamanders
I am torn between fuel types for the Infernus.

2 damage will wreck terminators, but with one less AP and wounding on 3s. Wounding rhinos on 4s.

Or...1 damage wounding on twos and a better ap but wounding vehicles on a 6.

Flammable sounds more versatile, considering 2+ save units will likely have a decent invuln that means the better ap isnt so great?

If Guard can get something that buff wound rolls the fammable seems flat out better too.

Edited by God-Potato of Mankind, 21 June 2017 - 07:20 PM.

RedFox

RedFox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 328 posts
I wish you could just switch fuel in game

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,014 posts

I wish you could just switch fuel in game

It wouldn't fit the model - it just has one big tank...

Spoiler

lajetee.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users