Elysians in 8th

Galron

I doubt it. One of the big hypes of 8th was you were rewarded for bringing a mono-type army. Right now aside from orders from officers from one regiment not affecting other regiments, there really is no benefit since you can simply bring an officer from that regiment and both fill required slots. I personally would rather see a return to the percentage system where you have your army and no more than 25% of your points can be allies from a single other list and they fill no required slots. I am a fluff player and never jumped on the whole Allies shenanigans thing. I feel it deletes both the look and the flavor of the army.

Edited by Galron

I doubt it. One of the big hypes of 8th was you were rewarded for bringing a mono-type army. Right now aside from orders from officers from one regiment not affecting other regiments, there really is no benefit since you can simply bring an officer from that regiment and both fill required slots. I personally would rather see a return to the percentage system where you have your army and no more than 25% of your points can be allies from a single other list and they fill no required slots. I am a fluff player and never jumped on the whole Allies shenanigans thing. I feel it deletes both the look and the flavor of the army.

I would rather there be a clear benefit from sticking to a single list, or branching off in a limited way, rather than a hard and fast rule. Granted, that depends entirely on how quickly GW is on solving any huge balance issues. 

Huh, that is true about grenades, it also means each model could throw a grenade and shoot his lasgun at the same time.  

Oh yeah, everyone can fire all their weapons now as long as all pistol or non-pistol, though in theory Pistols also become Assault...

FW: so much :cussery

I don't think this will fly with many opponents. I get the RAW argument but...idk I play Guard and that that just looks a little too beardy. But if that's what GW intended then I'm all for it lol!!! Anyone ask this question on the facebook page yet?

More grenades the better!!!

Krash

I don't think this will fly with many opponents. I get the RAW argument but...idk I play Guard and that that just looks a little too beardy. But if that's what GW intended then I'm all for it lol!!! Anyone ask this question on the facebook page yet?

More grenades the better!!!

Krash

Don't be shy take the POWER we all aren't used to

I don't have the book in front of me but I think only one guy per squad gets a breacher option. but still its what d3 mortal wounds for squads you really don't expect to do much in hand to hand. Yes please.

On a lark, I ordered a Cyclops. Should be entertaining now that its usable. Anyone have any experience using them?

Also, thanks to someone above, Kromlech indeed sells things that look almost identical to Tarantulas. Most people would never know the difference unless they have both in front of them. Looking forward to tossing six of them puppies out on the board to cause havoc. I am more and more feeling like we got a good list this time around that has a lot of utility that plays very different than everything else out there.

Edited by Galron

Well said Galron, I too just put an order in for 3 Cyclops can't wait to use them. I'll definitely write up a post/tactia for them!

Do Elysians gain access to special weapon squads?

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

I've ordered a Vulture with punisher cannons. With three Vendettas i already have that's going to be a real air cavalry detachment: two vet squads, two comsquads, two officers and two heavy weapon squads with mortars and missiles. Need something to play 'Flight of Valkyries' during a game.

FYI, Elysians have no demo packs and their breacher charges are just melee-type weapons.

As for the Move and Fire order being broken: I don't think it is. Lets take 10 Vets. 10 Kraks vs MEQ = about 2 dead Marines. Pretty comparable to putting an order on a plasma-totting unit

Is it my lack of imagination, or there is no reason at all to put any cargo on a Valkyrie/Vendetta/SkyTalon in a Elysian army? The aerial drop rule completely dominates the grav-chute insertion as it allows you to drop anywhere with the same restriction (outside of 9') and without a chance of dying in the process. This is particularly sad for the Sky Talon, which seems to be completely useless now.

I guess this gives you an option of getting back in (and back out) of your fliers, but it seems quite far fetched...

Frag grenades on the other hand could be worth it - 10d6 s3 hits is nothing to sneeze at. Although would probably math same as a full squad of lasguns with 1st rank come to think of it.

You can fire all non pistol weapons in a squad at once. So they can fire 10d6 frag + 20 lasgun shots, for 5.5 shots per soldier.

Is it my lack of imagination, or there is no reason at all to put any cargo on a Valkyrie/Vendetta/SkyTalon in a Elysian army? The aerial drop rule completely dominates the grav-chute insertion as it allows you to drop anywhere with the same restriction (outside of 9') and without a chance of dying in the process. This is particularly sad for the Sky Talon, which seems to be completely useless now.

I guess this gives you an option of getting back in (and back out) of your fliers, but it seems quite far fetched...

I have one half built and it does make it look a bit less useful, however I suppose it's a slightly cheaper gunship if you are low on points. Remember you can only have half your army in Reserve in matched play, so you could start it on the board with the cargo underneath and drop it first turn.

Edit, I'm referring to the sky talon only here.

Edited by Beaky Brigade

I am not sure what cargo you are referring to with the transport ability. Valks and vendies are still valuable for dropping units like meltagun squads off at 9" who then walk the rest of the way into short range. Unless they FAQ'd this already and I missed it. Don't get used to it if they haven't, just like infinite command squads I expect this ability to be on the chopping block sooner than later.

I am not sure what cargo you are referring to with the transport ability. Valks and vendies are still valuable for dropping units like meltagun squads off at 9" who then walk the rest of the way into short range. Unless they FAQ'd this already and I missed it. Don't get used to it if they haven't, just like infinite command squads I expect this ability to be on the chopping block sooner than later.

You actually think they'd delete the ability completely? If so, I'd hope it also comes with a heavy points reduction.

I'm still planning out my army, but I'm guessing it isn't worth jumping into the hobby now if so many things are still in flux. Is there a time where one can best invest?