Brush Lifespan

Hi guys

I started painting around half a year ago on a regular basis. Depending on available time i normally paint every second or third day for 1-4 hours. I have the problem, that my brushes tend to get bad pretty fast. normally i only use pretty fine brushes, so that i can get all the detail. I wash them out regularily and also use colour-thinner to wash them out when I am finished. I get the feeling that especially GW-Metallics kill the brushes fast.

My last Brush lasted for approximately 2 month. Is that normal?
Am I doing anything wrong?

Any recommendations, in order to increase brush lifespan??

I would like to be able to handle my brushes better before I get my hands on more expensive ones. =D

Thank you for any Ideas, what to do better.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Just from experience - smaller brushes die quicker. Only use fine-detail brushes for things like eyes or shading lenses on bionics - nearly everything else can be done with a Base\Standard Brush (generally). But moving on from that...

- Don't let the paint get further up than halfway along the bristles.  It can seep into the ferrule, dry and cause the bristles to spread apart.
- Wash your brush often.  Very often.  Moment paint starts drying up as you're painting into the bristles, that can cause problems, too.
- Treat them gently.  If you have to press the paint into a recess hard or do some drybrushing - use an old brush.
- When you're done, put the cover back on and put them tip end down into your pot - this will let any remaining water drip off, rather than stay in the ferrule.

Someone will probably tell me I'm wrong, but thats how I try to keep my brushes living longer.

Yeah... that seems to be the problem. The bristles spread over time. And I accidentally put the brush to deep into the pot (When using GW colours - Vallejo droppers seem to prevent that to happen).

Thank you very much!

Especially the last tip seems to be something I never thought about! =)

Two months is actually quite good going for a regular price brush. If you want much longer than that get a sable brush, they're expensive but can be cheaper in the long term.

With art supplies in general you don't shy away from 'professional' stuff just because you don't think you're skilled enough.

Yeah... that seems to be the problem. The bristles spread over time. And I accidentally put the brush to deep into the pot (When using GW colours - Vallejo droppers seem to prevent that to happen).

Thank you very much!

Get a cheap pack of dollar\pound store brushes for pot dipping. Use those for drybrushing, mixing and getting things from the pot. :)

Thank you very much!

Get a cheap pack of dollar\pound store brushes for pot dipping. Use those for drybrushing, mixing and getting things from the pot. :smile.:

Will do! ;)

It is in my  opinion worth going to a dedicated art store and getting a pot of dedicated brush cleaning agent, I like the masters brand, but a myriad of options exist. 

A cheap alternative is (apparently, as I've not tried it yet) - Olive Oil.  You can even soak oil paints out of brushes with it.