8th Dark Angels Tactica and Tournament Guide (in progress)

Solrac

It usually dies in my games but usually not before turn 3 and after opponent has spent a large amount of firepower on it. Personally if you are running it in a gunline you HAVE to run it wth azrael to give it 4+ invuln. Otherwise it will definitely die to any competently crafted army. But with -1 to hit and that invuln it is a huge damage soak. Without it the shroud there is no gunline list.

As per of a more mobile force then it has its uses but is much more vulnerable. In these cases I'm not sure it's worth it.

In terms of getting stuck. If you castle up you have to be very careful with your placement but generally it has to be in the middle with azrael and the primaris lieutenant. But don't be afraid to move away if you need to. Especially as you get into turn 3-5 to grab objectives. Itself is quite fast and useful for grabbing objectives moving up to 20".

From my games against them in 6th and 7th Edition, they have to die, but are filthy hard to kill. So, yeah, I'd say they're more than just a Distraction 'Fex; they actually have a significant role to play in the rest of the army and are a critical piece.

Codex seems to mention that new units are available to other Chapters, including DA.

Yup they are. Warhammer 40k Community posted an article that stated that BA/SW/DA can use the units from either the index or the codex space marines. They didn't mention if you could mix them outside our chapter specific rules though. So I think if you are using Index tacticals you can't use codex space marine devastators for example. I think that is how they make it sound.

I would agree with dtse on the darkshroud.  If you are doing a gunline with Azreal (which so far for me has been stupidly powerful).  It is a great unit and a distraction  At T6 W9 4++ and -1 to hit it takes a lot of firepower to bring it down.  If you look at something like 4 lascannon devestators firing at it they do 0.66 unsaved wounds (pre-damage).  SO they have about a 2/3rds chance of doing 3.5 wound on average.  In other words they average 2.33 wounds.  SO on average you are looking at needing 4 such units to kill it in a single turn.  If those units are shooting at the darkshroud and not my dreads then I'm ok with that.  Units doing that kind of damage will also be my prime targets turn 1.

Completely agree. Azzy + Dark Shroud are super strong.

Have a firing base of devastators, azzy and shroud. Then have death wing tele into their back lines with homing beacons on your lines to pull them out or shore up your lines.

I am still on the fense about including one with the Primaris for the same reasons mentioned above. On the one hand, solid to increase staying power. On the other, not enough dakka to support the one two punch play style and it will come under heavy fire T1, because there will be bugger all else to shoot.

For a Primaris force they probably aren't worth it as Primaris Marines lack the ability to have a fire base, all of their shooting is primarily short ranged.  I could see using one with Azzy and Repressors(flying tank thing I think that is what it is called), but it would really lack mobility overall.   I think at the moment if you want to use a Primaris Heavy force there is little benefit to use them as DA.  Regular space marines are a better choice, especially with the upcoming codex release.

Completely agree. Azzy + Dark Shroud are super strong.

Have a firing base of devastators, azzy and shroud. Then have death wing tele into their back lines with homing beacons on your lines to pull them out or shore up your lines.

If you've played DW with teleporter homers, you've been cheating I'm afraid. DW can't have teleporter homers. Only regular terminators can.

For a Primaris force they probably aren't worth it as Primaris Marines lack the ability to have a fire base, all of their shooting is primarily short ranged. I could see using one with Azzy and Repressors(flying tank thing I think that is what it is called), but it would really lack mobility overall. I think at the moment if you want to use a Primaris Heavy force there is little benefit to use them as DA. Regular space marines are a better choice, especially with the upcoming codex release.

Well, you forgot the greatest benefit of all. They are Dark Angels, not Marines ;)

If you've played DW with teleporter homers, you've been cheating I'm afraid. DW can't have teleporter homers. Only regular terminators can.

Whoa really? Do Dark Angels have access to regular terminators? Death Wing not having access to teleport homers is really strange... possibly an oversight?

@immersturm - That is fine but in a tournament competitive thread fluff is not really a justification.  I don't think a primaris DA army is competitive right now (I'm not sure any whole primaris force is to begin with).

Whoa really? Do Dark Angels have access to regular terminators? Death Wing not having access to teleport homers is really strange... possibly an oversight?

'fraid so and DA don't have access to any other TDA. They do have the Watcher in the Dark instead, but that's for something completely different. 

I'm thinking that two crusaders is the ultimate DA  "go first" drop. You can get 2x5 thundernators/knights plus 6 TDA characters on board, and it unlocks up to 20 deepstriking tactical terminators (would you take anything but tacticals as deepstrikers with 4 shots apiece?).  Actually, I run it with 1x10 tacticals, for a total of 3 drops.  That's super strong for getting the crusaders into reasonable range for a turn 2 charge (advance stuff like belial and the ancient instead of charging them!)  With SS, you can survive a turn caught out in the open if you fail a charge, and a third char, such as an apo, can declare charge against all available units to soak overwatch before the two real chargers declare.

As for primaris...the lieutenant is the only one who attracts my attention.  That guy has S8 weapons like fists and hammers wounding on 2+ with rerolls...

Edited by march10k

I'm still not sold on deathwing to be honest. If I played a deathwing army against mine I think I would table it by turn 3. Should try and find someone locally who runs deathwing

I think someone needs to teach you a leason with both Deathwind and Primaris :P

Hey guys,

Some excellent discussions in here which is what I like to see!

I have just finished the unit reviews. I've gone very broad overview of each with the information I had available. If you have something to add post it in here or send me a private message.

I will be doing the unit combos soon and then I'll get started in analysing both the Matched Play Missions as well as the ITC 8th ed missions.

I echo the thanks Solrac, I'm looking at a few units differently now and going about my list building differently. I wonder how many dreads I can squeeze into 2000pts....

Make sure to take the FW Dreads into account. Loads of good toys there ;)