8th Dark Angels Tactica and Tournament Guide (in progress)

Solrac

In the same vein: If you're running vehicle-heavy, the techmarine is pretty decent as well. Just a pity you can't boost him with servitors anymore. (would be nice if every servo-arm servitor within 3" gave a +1 on the D3 roll or something)

The Repulsor can forgo its shooting to give enemies -1 hit against itself. Stacks with Aversion and Dark Shroud. When you really need your Hellblasters to get there :wink:

Wow that's really good

Here's hoping we get options to use these new units right away instead of waiting for our codex!

That option is called "smoke launchers", I believe. :wink:

No, it is called Auto-Launchers on that model. No Smoke launchers. At least I believe that is what they are called. A bit unclear, but the fist letter is definitely an A :tongue.:

The Repulsor can forgo its shooting to give enemies -1 hit against itself. Stacks with Aversion and Dark Shroud. When you really need your Hellblasters to get there :wink:

Wow that's really good

Here's hoping we get options to use these new units right away instead of waiting for our codex!

Yes and no. They all have the <Chapter> keyword, so you could insert Dark Angels. However, they are not listed in the list of units DA can use (the one in the Index). A simple FAQ update of that list will fix it. Maybe someone can ask GW.

Edited by Immersturm

I know, but they are still Aufo-Launchers on that model :D I know, semantics ;) You are right, it is the same.

By the way, PSA. Do not put heavy Plasma weaponry on vehicles. The -1 modifier when moving will cause the weapon to overheat on 1 and 2, which happens after re-rolls. Stick to Assault and Rapid Fire Plasmas and put the heavies on stationary targets.

Plasma rules are so stupid right now. Imagine shooting an overcharged plasma cannon after moving, at a DA flyer near a shroud, after being targeted with Aversion. Chance of overheating increased to level stupid just because reasons that have nothing to do with overheating is stupid.

I'm really hoping 9th will sort that out :P (and that it gets here soon).

They will probably erata or FAQ this and make it a natural roll of 1 after re-rolls, similar to overwatch.

Codex seems to mention that new units are available to other Chapters, including DA.

Edited by Immersturm

8th edition tactics. So primaris is fair game. I think primaris are still too expensive to be good. That dreadnought is good though. I might try running just that. But primaris still not as good as razorback and dreadnought and lascannon spam lol

8th edition tactics. So primaris is fair game. I think primaris are still too expensive to be good. That dreadnought is good though. I might try running just that. But primaris still not as good as razorback and dreadnought and lascannon spam lol

It isn't solely about what is perfect, but also how to work with certain restrictions, like someone wanting to make the best of a pure Primaris army.

I would not necessary agree that Razorspam is strictly better. From what I gathered, Primaris are a first strike army. They are low on models, good dakka per model and with the Repulsor they have very few deployment drops, easily below 10, sometimes below 8, at 1850. Only Knights have less. The Repulsor is very hard to shift and with the Dread alone they can deal quite a bit of damage.

Six Hellblaster with (Gravis) Captain, Lieutenant and sometimes Librarian inside a Repulsor with full anti-tank setup is probably a given in most of my lists. Carbine Reavers with hooks also sound quite decent to snatch outlying objectives.

The only models I am absolutely not convinced of are the Inceptors. They do a similar thing to Aggressors and Reivers/Intercessors, but are more expensive per model than both taken together. The other thing that worries me is lack of ranged anti-tank. The Repulsor is great and the Hellblasters will melt most things as well. The Plasma on the Dread seems prone to failing every now and then with the D6 shots.

I think you can make a solid one-two-punch Primais list that can fend for itself.

Edited by Immersturm

I worry about that if I DS a character with DW and I fail charge rolls for character ... DW will not receive any buffs since most of the are only 6"...

You could move part of the unit forward only part of the charge distance, so that at least one model of the unit is still within 6" You'd lose one model in the fight if the Character doesn't make it, and if the character does make it, you can move him closer with the pile-ins.

So with the new SM Codex and FAQ saying we can use units from that codex until ours comes out, what I want to know is can DA use non-Primaris Lieutenants? Seems like a no-brainer to me that if we can have Primaris Lieutenants we can have non Primaris ones too, but it isn't explicitly stated anywhere.

Since I'm debating with myself about buying one (and yes, I know the mechanical advantages), I've got to ask a question to understand the Darkshroud better.

Is it our version of the distraction carnifex? I mean, it's pretty tough, obviously, and its buff is great.

But what can I expect people trying to do against it?

Trying to kill it first seems kind of obvious, but that seems hard to do.

Ignoring it doesn't work either, since everything it protects also becomes hard(er) to kill. 

Is it a threat you can't ignore but are forced to spend firepower on?

Edit: Typo

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

It is not tough enough to be a Distraction Fex. It is T6 9W. A bit of dedicated firepower and it is gone. Maybe taking two for redundacy or having line of sight blockers is good enough to hide it, but with so many re-rolls going around in Imperial list (both the SM and IG variety), plenty of horde lists, fast xenos melee, you really need to ask yourself how much mileage you are getting. -1 hit is definitely good. Very good, especially if you have other things to stack it with. It is also cheap enough with its 128(?) pts with a HB. Just do not expect it to survive.

You basically use it to mitigate some of the shooting alpha strike and try to stack -1 modifiers by either using Aversion, smoke launchers or forcing enemy Heavy Weapons to move. You also want to hide it in cover or block LoS. Beware of bunching up and hindering your mobility because of it though. Tried it and regretted it.

It is useful, but do not overly rely on it as it will die in one turn if the opponent has strong shooting and is wasted points against melee lists. Hide heavy stuff like tanks in it or anything that requires low shot high power weapons like LC to kill. -1 to those weapons adds to their already high variance and increases the risk of using them.