New army

Jeff Newton

I just picked up some Dark Eldar a couple months ago the with 8th edition coming out I shelved the army and decided to wait for the edition to come out. I now have the start collecting box, a few venoms, a few raiders, and a ravenger. I now need to figure out how to build the army and decided on a paint scheme.

With DE armies you won't have much damage output or diversity without some FA choices and some of the Drukari's auxiliary choices (mandrakes, incubi, covens etc) they will add a lot of depth to your armies.

your going to need to fill those raiders with Kab warriors and maybe put some wracks or Wyches into those venoms. convert your archon so he has an agoniser and a blast pistol (best load out for them)

If you need to fill out those FA choices you might want to pick up the gang of commoragh box set and some scourges. maybe add a flyer into the mix (they're very good). incubi are still viable and cheap to take in a DE list, and mandrakes are the second most improved unit in the game (after pyrovores). 

You could go with venom spam:

Archon with blast pistol & agonizer in venom with dual cannon

4 units of 5 warriors each with one blaster in venom with dual cannon

3 ravager each with triple lances

3 razorwing jetfighter with dual lances and dual cannon

That's about 2000 points of incredibly fast, shooty army. Tactics are to go in rapidfire range and shoot to death your enemies while avoiding being charged. It is an army that needs finesse. Remember that any unit can split fire and you should be good.

If you want some variety and/or close combat, incubi are nasty, specially if they are accompanied by Drazhar; on the charge a unit of 9 incubi+drazhar would be killing ~4 terminators, ~11 marines or ~17 guardsmen on average.

Mandrakes and witches are also very good for the points, and if you want to DS the mandrakes, you should be waiting until turn 2, for the nice re-roll bonus from pfp.

If you like big nasty things, triple talos (barebones) can also deal a lot of damage both in the shooting phase and in close combat, and you'll like to have a friendly (if that is even possible) haemonculus near them, for a nice and sweet +1T bonus.

There are great units in the Dark Eldar army list that can please any playstyle.

Hope it helps!

You could go with venom spam:

Archon with blast pistol & agonizer in venom with dual cannon

4 units of 5 warriors each with one blaster in venom with dual cannon

3 ravager each with triple lances

3 razorwing jetfighter with dual lances and dual cannon

That's about 2000 points of incredibly fast, shooty army. Tactics are to go in rapidfire range and shoot to death your enemies while avoiding being charged. It is an army that needs finesse. Remember that any unit can split fire and you should be good.

If you want some variety and/or close combat, incubi are nasty, specially if they are accompanied by Drazhar; on the charge a unit of 9 incubi+drazhar would be killing ~4 terminators, ~11 marines or ~17 guardsmen on average.

Mandrakes and witches are also very good for the points, and if you want to DS the mandrakes, you should be waiting until turn 2, for the nice re-roll bonus from pfp.

If you like big nasty things, triple talos (barebones) can also deal a lot of damage both in the shooting phase and in close combat, and you'll like to have a friendly (if that is even possible) haemonculus near them, for a nice and sweet +1T bonus.

There are great units in the Dark Eldar army list that can please any playstyle.

Hope it helps!

Agreed on all points. 

Ravagers are on fleek this edition. Being able to move, advance and fire everything is glorious. 

I am splitting into two lists I think, one is Raider/Reaver/Hellions and one goes Venom/Wyches/Ravagers to create a target priority confusion for the enemy. Kill the battlebus or fast movers? Either way, something nasty is getting into CC :biggrin.:

Also I will plug Voidravens, just because the Void mine will ruin something's day if you get first turn.

Edited by God-Potato of Mankind

Wyches are best used to support other CC units as they can stop enemies falling back out of combat. On their own though they are fairly weak unless you choose your combat drugs carefully . The DE for me are an exceptional fast shooty army with a couple of good CC units, but in CC you need to work together to get the most out of them.