Unit of the Week 8th: Land Raiders

Acebaur

Rules question on the Crusader's Frag Assault Launchers. If I multi charge three units do I roll a 4+ for each of them?

With the Ultramarines Chapter Tactic letting things fall back and shoot Land Raiders can now do exactly what I wanted them to do.  

In my last game the Chaos player kept repeatedly charging my land raider with a Rhino. We couldn't hurt each other in Combat but his 70 point rhino stopped my 300+ point Land Raider from shooting for about 3 turns.   

How does 1 multi-charge in this edition, exactly? (I'm not trolling you, I sincerely don't know/didn't think that could happen).

Might be good to keep a small squad of something....servitors? honor guard?  hang out inside a LRC for blocking exactly this kind of thing.  Then you only lose one round of shooting.   Disembark...bubble wrap, fall back with LR.

I have been running a LR Redeemer, i have to say i am enjoying it, its flames do not degrade as it gets hit, it is an in your face unit. 

@Rocmistro I take a 2 man squad of company veterans for this effect. Armed as cheaply as possible they come in at 32 points and an elite spot, but they give the landraider some push back to stop that 'rhino' and instead forces the rhino to contend with them instead.

With overwatch, you should only lose one of them 1 in 24 times, and both of them 1 in 48 times you charge a rhino with a single storm bolter. ( my maths should be okay, but unsure) Against other units they may be better off not charging, but can harass, and for 32 points is worth a look in to keep your opponent thinking.

Cheers

Lupus

Did the Terminus Ultra not get rules? I got a bunch of the upgrade kits for them, but never finished magnetizing them all. 

3 sets of Twin Lascannons and two single Lascannon sponsons seems like it would be a beast with 8e.

It's in the Index, I think.  You can still use it with the datasheet there.  Like the Imperial Space Marine and other one-off models.

/looks in his Indexes. 

Oh wow... its a Lord of War? 400 points? Is that with or without the Lascannons?

I didnt see it initially as it is under the Ultramarines section

But what?  But YES!  8 Lascannon shots.  It's a guntank - point, shoot, move on.  LR's are resilient as all get out, so while it's taking the hits the rest of the army is not getting shot at. 

At least that's what the servitors in my head are telling me. :sweat:

Guys, it's not 400pts, and it's not a no brainer.

It does NOT state weapons are included, so with just the lascannons its 600pts, which is crazy high territory. It's barely more survivable than a normal LR, takes a Lord Of War slot, and can blow itself up (keep a Captain nearby....).

It's powerful, but I don't feel too jealous of the Ultras on this one.

Aw man, that's nothing.  It's the cost man.  600 points is redonkulous for this beast.  BUT, as a LoW I probably should not be bringing it to a 2K game.  2.5 maybe.  Maaaaybe.

Agreed. For that kind of points, it's actually kind of easy to get rid of. We're talking 150ish points more than a KnihtnPaladin, which is waaaaay more resilient with the invulnerable save, extra wounds etc.

It seems mad to call a slightly tougher Land Raider a "glass cannon", but that's really what it is since it's playing in proper big boy territory. Potentially nuts damage output, but it's likely to only get 1 shot.

And by big boy territory, I mean we're in "more points than a Shadowsword" land. I know which one I'm taking for tank busting....

Edited by Extropian

Err...ignore all the above.

It was FAQd, and it IS 400pts. Ok, it's back as an option!

Still not a no brainer, but thank god for that. A Volcano Cannon for 50pts more is still proper rude though. And on a massively tougher chassis at that.

Edited by Extropian

400 points ... ok, I just verified that myself.  That is really good for what it can do.  I would still not bring it in a 2K list unless I *knew* the opponent army before hand + meta.

But even without re-rolls, 8 LC shots against a single target, with average rolls, is likely to make it go away.

Yep. Still quite easy to kill compared to other Lords of War, but for 400pts it's perfectly fine. Just.....don't roll triple 1's.

That's the real reason I'd want the Captain nearby...,

Knowing my luck, I'd end up killing it faster with my Rolls, than any amount of concentrated fire from an enemy...

400pts is I think only about 60pts over the price of two Devastator Squads with 4 Lascannons each, or about the same more expensive than a squad of Devastator Centurions with only six Lascannons and three Centurion Missile Launchers. I think it's pretty competitive with the other options for the cost, helps you go first by being only one unit. and can be repaired easily by a Techmarine. Seems very good to me, I expect the meta to have plenty of targets you'll need Lascannons to put a dent in (knights, other vehicles you can Split Fire against, Stormravens...)

That said, two Xiphons is about the same price and nets you your eight Lascannons plus two Xiphon Missile Launchers, and they have Hard to Hit and hit both ground and air on a 3+. That's tough to beat IMO.