Unit of the Week 8th: Land Raiders

Acebaur

400pts is I think only about 60pts over the price of two Devastator Squads with 4 Lascannons each, or about the same more expensive than a squad of Devastator Centurions with only six Lascannons and three Centurion Missile Launchers. I think it's pretty competitive with the other options for the cost, helps you go first by being only one unit. and can be repaired easily by a Techmarine. Seems very good to me, I expect the meta to have plenty of targets you'll need Lascannons to put a dent in (knights, other vehicles you can Split Fire against, Stormravens...)

That said, two Xiphons is about the same price and nets you your eight Lascannons plus two Xiphon Missile Launchers, and they have Hard to Hit and hit both ground and air on a 3+. That's tough to beat IMO.

Meh... I dont consider FW as I cant afford them. 

Maybe make one from other kits?

I have two LR chassis that are fully magnetized. I just need to assemble the upgrade kits I got when they were still around. I dont really need to do both kits though as I think one is enough

And shouldnt your Red Shoulders color scheme be military olive green and grey, with the red shoulder pauldron? 

:wink:

Edited by Gratan

Well done Gratan ;). Wanted to copy yet keep the gray because I love that color on Marines. It was a repaint from the original DIY.

Still, well done.

I may magnetize a LR so that it can be a Terminus too.

Well done Gratan :wink:. Wanted to copy yet keep the gray because I love that color on Marines. It was a repaint from the original DIY.

Still, well done.

I may magnetize a LR so that it can be a Terminus too.

I came close to doing a Red Shoulder Battalion color scheme at one point. I've got a test Marine floating around somewhere.

Anyone sampled the Proteus?

Looks to possibly be the best of the Landraiders.

-Has a 5++

-Can be equipped with 3 Twin Lascannons

-Prevents enemy reserves from deploying within 12"

Sounds good. What are the points though?

Tell you what, as an Ultramarines player, I want my opponent to deploy within 12" from reserves. I'll use a Command Point (that I get back on a 5+) to shoot them. I'll use another Command Point to reroll misses with my Tactical Marine squad.

I might even use a third Command Point that I'll use a Hellfire shell on said sucker unit coming so close.

All with a 5+ to gain them back... Mwah hahahahahahahaaaa!

Has anyone rolled an Achilles yet?

It looks unfathomably tasty. I plan to run a Sternguard with 2x multi-meltas, combi meltas led by He'stan.

The amount of S8 AP-4 shots that reroll to hit and wound? Aww yiss.

Throw in a techmarine and laugh as the enemy try to wipe out your invulneraider.

Edited by God-Potato of Mankind

I think the Achilles is a beast, and i really want to try one. it's quite disgustingly hard to kill if you can't spam mortal wounds on it, and all those multi-meltas backed up with a Thunderfire is no laughing matter.

The only slight drawback is the small transport capacity, but tbh....who cares.As you say there's plenty of good options to put in it still. 

As for the Proteus....it's like a standard Land Raider, only more so. Nothing bad to say about it!

I think the Achilles is a beast, and i really want to try one. it's quite disgustingly hard to kill if you can't spam mortal wounds on it, and all those multi-meltas backed up with a Thunderfire is no laughing matter.

The only slight drawback is the small transport capacity, but tbh....who cares.As you say there's plenty of good options to put in it still.

As for the Proteus....it's like a standard Land Raider, only more so. Nothing bad to say about it!

My only disappointment with the Achilles is no pintle multi melts :(

My only disappointment with the Achilles is no pintle multi melts :sad.:

I agree that 5 would indeed have been hilarious. I suppose 4 and the cannon will have to suffice :(

Nothing wrong with the LRC either. It's a horde murdering kill machine.

Why yes, Mr Heretic, i AM firing 36 shots at your unit. And melting your buddy there for extra giggles.

Actually, Forgeworld variants aside i lean towards the LRC being the best now, due in part due to the wound-roll changes (yay bolter spam!) and partly because you can stick multiple units in it to really use that transport capacity.

Has anyone run, or considered running a LR Helios yet? You get 4 lascannon shots & 2d6 autocannon shots (-1 damage, and at 72" range, with no LOS required) for about 350 points. No problem moving & shooting thanks to PoTMS, and it can carry 6 non-Primaris marines.

A shame it can't carry Primaris, as I'd love to throw 5 Intercessors & a Primaris Lt in it, move infield to an objective, and just sit there shooting everything that moves. I guess I could take 5 Sternguard & a regular Lt instead, or march the Primaris upfield behind it?

I hear where you're coming from, but I like it. The bolted-on nature is actually part of its charm, and is represented in the fluff, I believe. From memory, the Red Scorpions needed some whirlwind type artillery support for the Helios campaign, but the 'standard' Rhino armour was too light. So they retrofitted a bunch of Land Raiders with whirlwind launchers, and the Helios was born.

For me, it's also about the overall army aesthetic, too. I want to run Subjugators, who are known for only having Annihilator-pattern Predators and use Whirlwinds for fire support. I have a Predator, intend to get a Whirlwind, and a LR Helios is perhaps the only thing stopping me from buying a pair of each of those smaller tanks.

Perfectly fair. Aesthetics are a totally personal thing.

And it does actually fit perfectly for you i agree. It is basically an Annihilator that has a Whirlwind welded to the roof. Perfect :D

It really is rather powerful too, can't argue there.

Perfectly fair. Aesthetics are a totally personal thing.

And it does actually fit perfectly for you i agree. It is basically an Annihilator that has a Whirlwind welded to the roof. Perfect :D

It really is rather powerful too, can't argue there.

If/when I get it, I'll need to also paint a bumper sticker on my Whirlwind: "my other Whirlwind is a Land Raider".

• 5 months later...
Posted · Hidden by Acebaur, January 18, 2018 - Necro
Hidden by Acebaur, January 18, 2018 - Necro

I currently have 3 land raiders. 1 crusader and terminus ultra for my marines, and 1 vortimer pattern land raider for my grey knights. I am very tempted to get a Helios as another fire support vehicle. I only have 1 WW, 2 predators, sicaran omega and an old school vindicator so my marines are fairly light when it comes to tread support. That helios looks pretty amazing especially since the Sicaran doesnt have the stats a tank hunter should. While the promethues and achilles look tempting, that long range fire support that doesnt need line of sight is very sexy.