DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Your lighting must be top-notch, then, 'cause those minis look amazing and I can see every little detail. I have a decent camera phone but my house is really dark and... you've seen how my photos turn out, hah!

Keep that Nurgly goodness coming!

Thank you, brothers. It warms my rotting, worm infested heart to hear you like the progress so far.

After almost a week of painting the Warhound I'm pleased to say that I probably won't need the remaining 2 months to finish it. I've made a lot more progress than I expected and I can't wait to show you all how far along this beast has come.

I have yet to start the lower half and weapons, however... so we're still a ways off from completion. If I keep up the pace though, I may actually be able to make a third vow before the end of the event.

Weekly update.

Wow... I can't believe it's only been a week. It already feels like I've been painting this thing for at least twice that time. Surprisingly, I've gotten most of the upper half finished, at this point only needing to weather the gold and finish some of the interior.

4ZPSkSW.jpg

I'm really pleased with the stripes on the shin plate and rear portions. They may not be perfect, bit I did them all by eye and I'm happy with the result. I'm particular happy with the red contrasting the pitch black, it really pops even more.

MiiHO81.jpg

yATpBpz.jpg

The rust turned out pretty good, especially when you remember I didn't use any pigments on the model. The black helps it pop even more (though admittedly it does blend into the red a bit).

RxQJdSj.jpg

FihzWrj.jpg

Of the interior, it has been completed for the most part. There's a few details here and there; mainly on the Tech Priest; that needs to be picked out. Otherwise, it's finished. The white walls turned out nice, looking quite old and worn. The engineer just needs his gloves and belt picked out. The cockpit likewise is just about finished sans some tiny details and the flesh on the Princeps.

0kRDtGY.jpg

m9A3JLv.jpg

I've begun blocking out the black on the weapons and lower half of the Warhound so once I'm done with the hull, I'll move right onto the rest. At that time I'll also glue the top half together. As far as cables from the head and weapons to the hull, I'm probably going to use guitar strings, but that may not be until much later. I've contemplated using green stuff, but it has to be precise and I'm not sure I feel like dealing with that.

Crazy as it sounds, this may be done in the next week or two. Crazy...

Unfortunately, it seems Forge World has ceased production of this model as well. They still sell the Chaos Warhound weapons (for some reason) but not the body itself. It's sad because in my opinion this is the most detailed model they ever produced. Keep in mind, many of the details you see in the interior won't even be visible once assembled. The worst part is when compared to this beauty, the design team kind of wrote it in with the Reaver. Not to say I don't want one, but it pales in comparison.

Great rust effects, DuskRaider. 

Are you going to pin and magnetize the body? I remember doing mine back in 2014 for the ETLIII and pinning and magnetizing the living hell out of it! I'm not sure how comfortable you are with magnetization, but if you're not, I'd be happy to give you some pointers. :) 

Thanks guys! Yeah, no... I'm not magnetizing. I'm gluing the whole big bastard together and then eventually working on a display base for it. I don't travel much for gaming these days, so the chances of having to transport it to and from a store or event are slim. I've contemplated magantizing the top to the bottom, but that as far as I intend to go.

Thank you brother, it means much. It felt kind of surreal seeing it stand for the first time in almost a decade. I'm working on the weapons now in between Tyranids, so hopefully they'll be done soonish and placed on the model. I'm itching to see this thing fully assembled.

Thanks folks and good work Closet Skeleton!

Weekly update:

The Warhound's weapons are just about complete. The only thing left to do is the Plasma coils and gun lenses, then they'll be attached to the torso. After that it's onto the lower half!

These are fairly straight forward. You can see from these what to expect from the lower half frame, though... a lot of rust. I added heat stain to the barrel of the Plasma weapon, which was interesting considering it's also on rusted metal. It turned out alright.

Really looking forward to finishing this behemoth up and finally seeing the whole thing together!

DfC5PxU.jpg

riRfsTn.jpg

d5WC0EL.jpg

TPrPXAJ.jpg