DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

"From far away is borne a woman's pray'r

To Ares, restless in his iron crown;

'Sleep, Ares, Sleep ! For, once the dice are thrown,

Empires to thee are leaves upon the air !

Ere all the homes go smoking to the skies,

And men are swept upon the battle-blast,

Ere all the tears are wept from women's eyes,

O Queen of Love, hold now the Lover fast,

And let him taste eternal anodyne at last ! "

- Ares God of War, H.H. Asquith

+++ Signal Transmission +++

+++++++++++++

+++ Priority Level: Alpha +++

++++

+++Date842M36+++

++

+++Fo|@e Wo#110d Antioc+++

+

+++Me$101e Rec/>ved+++

+++ Request imMedi|te as%*st-+ce+++

+++Scr@P c|d1 inte%fe@01c0+++

+++Her|te% Elem010111+++

+++Le[g}o M@rt01001+++

+++Full sCa01@eeeeeeeeeeeee+++

+++Signal Lost+++

-Final signal before Fall, Forge World Antioc 842.M36

bepA8XUh.jpg

y1rVW2Ih.jpg

5GGSmhPh.jpg

wXjGtR1h.jpg

6DRv31lh.jpg

GeoQFSyh.jpg

cqPZ800h.jpg

Jinikl7h.jpg

JrkKYXlh.jpg

6hYCjdth.jpg

YM67jSrh.jpg

NzeKfAkh.jpgT0G5RSdh.jpg

LSnTjXYh.jpg

A herald of dark portents.

Well done for getting this guy done, that was fast! The rust has come up so nice. Particularly the plasma weapon, the glow and burn contrasts so well with the rust you’ve done.

The dark mechanicum guy looks wicked. Loving the use of the plague bearer Skull.

Thanks guys. I got some pretty harsh criticism concerning the Warhound and I'm beginning to think I should have at least stuck with my Death Guard black recipe for more highlights. I'm not good at OSL though, so the Plasma isn't going to get much better. I still have to decide if I'm going to commit to redoing the black.

Not here on b&c surely? Everyone is normally so good here.

I haven’t done anything as big as this so I’m very impressed with your achievement.

What would you do differently if you did redo the black? I thought it was standard practice to paint the titans differently, the scale of them making normal highlighting look unnatural.

Nah, it was on Imgur although I do appreciate any criticism or advice.

That's my fear as well. I'm unsure if my usual sunburst technique would work on such vast panels. Originally I was going to incorporate the blue-gray sunburst highlight I usually do, but I'm unsure if I could get it to work on such large areas. I was also hoping the black would be more void but with the rust etc. I should have known better. There's no real way to replicate vantablack.

Edited by DuskRaider

That's why I tell people to just use Imgur as a photo hosting site and not post anything to the public gallery because the community over there has become incredibly toxic over the last several years as the site gained more popularity. I dunno what was said to your post over there, but I think the black looks fine considering how beat up and rusted the thing is. The only criticism I would offer about the black is that with all those holes and rust it feels like there should be some paint chipping effects and looks a bit odd without it. 

Yeah, after finishing it I thought of using some crackle effect or one of the Citadel basing effects to make the paint look like it's peeling in places. I suppose I still could. Like I said I don't mind criticism, in fact I welcome it. But the guy came off as a prick and I don't have the patience for that.

I think part of the issue is I'm using recipes I've come up with for much smaller models. Like the rust, for example. I've never painted a model this big so it was all new to me.

Well done on the wicked finish of the warhoudn, Dusky! And in such a short time! Unbelievable! 

Concerning your black: I actually think it looks good enough. The rust spots on it look a bit splotchy here and there, but nothing terrible or anything. I really like the colour scheme and I think the use of watered down BFTBG for the tentacles and yukkiness inside is perfect. 

Congrats on the warhound. You should be proud.

Also: haters gonna hate. The B&C is the good place :)

Thanks a ton, Auggy. I may go back and do some touch ups and improvements eventually, but for now I'm leaving it be.

However, the Hell Forge never stops working. While I await the arrival of my Knights, I've been working on an Armiger. This will be the leader of the pack and so it's probably more warped and twisted than the others will be. The others will most likely also have Autocannons as well because Chaos can mix and match (suck it Loyalists!).

He's still very much work in progress, I need to do a lot of green stuff work on this sucker as well as rough up the armour plates in places, but what does everyone think so far? Too much? Too little?

INNnVNT.jpg

n60srsm.jpg

xUcdaD8.jpg

fpEZUu8.jpg

Man, that Corrupted Mortis Warhound gets me in all the right ways.  Absolutely fantastic work keeping it still looking like an Event Horizon style chaos rather than going too spikey or too 'clean'.  You nailed the blend in aesthetics, mate!   I've got a Mortis Warhound coming in tomorrow so this is seriously inspirational work :)  

That Armager though, cloven hoofed, skull faced, natural looking spine and growths, mean whip tail.. man that is just singing 'Helforged' to me.  Absolutely up to par with anything GW has ever thought of coming from the forges.  Love it, seriously can't wait to see it done up!

That armiger is jaw dropping. I love it! If I wasn't trying to stay less mutated for my knights I'd lift that thing wholesale and call it a day. As it is I may still be borrowing a few of the ideas used here. I especially like the use of giant skull and the GUO knifeblade.

I cannot wait to see where this goes.

Love the armiger. Between all you Renegade Knight makers i can feel myself getting dragged into the knights.

That skull is fantastic on here, that box of skulls is so versatile. The maggoth bits are working great too and the horns. Does the GUO knife mean there’s a GUO on the way one day?

Thanks everyone! So it's fairly obvious that I'm currently (slowly) building a Knight army. I do have other things to tie into them (and the Household will tie into the Death Guard Legion's history as well) which hopefully I'll be showing off soon as well. I gave a sneak peek with the Warhound.

Thanks for the compliments on the Armiger. I'll start the damage and green stuff in the next few days and we'll see where it goes from there. It's kind of a bummer Armigers are so expensive on eBay, especially when I intend to purchase aftermarket Autocannons anyhow.

The Dagger is one of the leftover bits from building Rotigus, so no... no more GUOs on the horizon. Fingers crossed the Knights arrive soon, I've had plans for them for quite some time. Although I'm not sure how extensively I'll modify the FW one.

The Nurglite Armiger is looking absolutely fantastic -- so glad to finally see more renegade Armigers beginning to crop up! Augustus is perfectly correct about the transplanted foot -- that's a very inspired touch!

Really looking forward to seeing this guy painted! :)

Thanks, kind sir! Truth be told, your Armiger really gave me the inspiration to tackle it. I have been planning the big Knights for some time, but the little guy was a relatively recent idea (the Renegade Index definitely helped push me over the edge).

Ahh screw it, I'll just come out with it. My Knight Household will be Makabius. They have strong ties to the XIVth obviously since Horus more or less gave them to Mortarion, and I see them also falling to Nurgle. These ones will be more closely linked to a Nurgle-aligned HelForge though.

Edited by DuskRaider

A little update and rant...

First of all, I received both Knights today and have been assembling the Forge World model. One thing that really grind my gears:

The kit only includes one of each gun shield. This Knight will be dual Thermal Cannons so it's going to look odd having the Chaos shield on one and a normal one on the other. I know I can modify the stock one, but I'm not that good with green stuff.

I struggle to think of how I'll make this look Nurgle. It has so much detail on it that I don't want to ruin it. I'll make the metal skeleton underneath banged up and rusted proper, but the plates are where I'm at a loss. As is, I'm not using the faceplate that it comes with since it looks too Khornate for my liking. I have a better substitute coming soon, hopefully. I have a feeling this one will be the less mutated of the two.

A little update and rant...

First of all, I received both Knights today and have been assembling the Forge World model. One thing that really grind my gears:

The kit only includes one of each gun shield. This Knight will be dual Thermal Cannons so it's going to look odd having the Chaos shield on one and a normal one on the other. I know I can modify the stock one, but I'm not that good with green stuff.

I struggle to think of how I'll make this look Nurgle. It has so much detail on it that I don't want to ruin it. I'll make the metal skeleton underneath banged up and rusted proper, but the plates are where I'm at a loss. As is, I'm not using the faceplate that it comes with since it looks too Khornate for my liking. I have a better substitute coming soon, hopefully. I have a feeling this one will be the less mutated of the two.

Maybe you could do something like the ones that were shown in the Renegade Knights announcement on Warhammer Community?

2018-06-22_-_Chaos_Knights-_MG_9134.jpg

22_06_CONTENT_RenKnights_Rhu2.jpg

Well this is the one I'm working with:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Chaos-Knight

It's beautifully detailed, I'm just unsure of how I'll make it look specifically Nurgle. It's great for generic Chaos or even Khorne and I'm apprehensive of destroying detail to make it more Nurgly. Like I said, I may just make it less corrupted. We'll see, I have a lot of bits to work with.