DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

It'll be interesting to see what you do. I wondering if adding damage would work, tentacles growing from the plating, or have them being pushed off from the skeletal frame where flesh and cabling has just started to grow.

Great Knight Household, well done for finding one that Moratarion had as a gift, perfect.

So the plan is to take two battlecannons on the knight or two ranged guns, so your looking to do up two shields as Nurgle. But also Nurlge up the whole thing.

The teeth coming down around the head is pretty Nurlgey already and the warped carapace is too. I'm assuming its the more generic chaos 'points', stars and eyes that aren't so good for you. I'm sure you've got a ton of different ways to apply general Nurlging up. Cutting, drilling, bubous. Augustus used some crackle paint on his landraider to good effect also. So that should leave you with the bigger features.

A lot of other Nurgle knights have gone green stuff heavy but it's not always the best way to go IMO. Your green stuffing looks good to me so I'm assuming you want to just avoid sculpting big features.

Your armiger is bang on awesome with no green stuff so far. Have you got anymore big horns left over from your kits? Or other big pieces to include?

With the shields I've seen a lot of people leave them off for Nurgle knights. But you could go horns/teeth instead of points/spikes. Stick them in place and the Green Stuffing is only gap filling or adding a 'gum'.

Seeing you do Nurgle knights is really making me want to get into that too.

I actually added some horns to it, protruding from the main hull and a single pauldron. The frame itself has damage and wear and I've added some popped rivets here and there. This one will have dual Thermal Cannons, the heavily mutated one I'm doing will be a Gallant equivalent with a Sword and Fist.

I'll probably pick up a second Chaos Knight kit off of eBay for the shields and armour, I'll eventually do a dual Avenger Gatling Cannon Knight.

I did the green stuff on the Armiger, I just have to prime it. I was considering re-vowing with it, but it's such a time crunch at this point.

Thank you brother, I'm quite surprised it turned out as well as it did too.

Speaking of which, I've just vowed it for the ETL, my third and final vow. Go big or go home, I suppose. It'll be interesting to see how the Makabius scheme looks on this, especially since it'll be worn and corrupted.

xWmSesw.jpg

08mBPet.jpg

FVOEexC.jpg

nIbbqcp.jpg

JvFkOIs.jpg

SGy5hUR.jpg

I added green stuff to try and blend both the foot and thigh into the mechanical parts of the Armiger. I'm not sure if it worked well or not. It also has some crackle effect on the hull and some GW Ironcrust basing as well.

Edited by DuskRaider

I'd go to town on the bloated Nurgle aesthetic like the hellbrutes are. If you wanted to do fleshy areas and save on greenstuff, I'd suggest you use something like wadded up paper or aluminum foil with liberal application of super glue to bulk out the area and then put GS on top of it.

Everywhere there's a raised area of mutation pushing through the armor would be a great place to add some fleshy growths covered in sores.

Ahh, okay. Yeah, I picked up a bunch of Glottkin parts for this. It should be quite interesting.

How about the Armiger, does the flesh end too abruptly? I didn't want to go overboard with it.

Edited by DuskRaider

Hmph... Makabius is more difficult to paint than I had thought. Forge World used Vallejo German Grey which I had picked up, but they don't actually highlight it at all and I'm finding it quite difficult myself. I'm contemplating leaving it just German Grey and adding more detail into the white / cream and other areas instead.

The thigh and foot are looking great. The green stuff has worked and they look like perfect pieces in place. I guess the forgeworld paint scheme is only for smooth non corrupted titans. So you could try highlighting the damaged parts that are in that colour. My two cents, bit out of my depth with painting titans.

Yeah, I built a gradient up by mixing the German Grey with Administratum Grey. I didn't go pure Administratum and even when mixing 75/25 Administratum you can't see it too well. Oh well. I did panel lining with Agrax Earthshade and Nightshade, I'll just make sure to pick out all of the details. The Armiger doesn't have too much space to work with anyhow.

Once I start in the big boys I'll play with blending more. I've also been painting my son's House Cadmus.

That's how I feel as well. I've always modelled my Nurgle (especially Death Guard) as more broken and worn than outright mutated. As I said in Auggy's thread, it's a very thin line between awesomely corrupted and overdone when it comes to Nurgle. My Titans will be mutated and broken, but I won't go so far as some of the ridiculous stuff I've seen in the wild of th internet.

No update on my Makabius Armiger, but I thought I'd share a quick pic of the progress on my son's House Cadmus Knights. The green & yellow has been completed and I panel lined the armour... I'm quite happy with it so far. I'm kind of angry, I think my son's Knights are going to look better than mine :biggrin.:

VMbC0Ekl.jpg

zW043kzl.jpg

It's not glued together or anything, I've simply snapped it together / rested the plates on the frame to take the pics. 

I've also ordered up a second Chaos Knight kit off of eBay. The heads I ordered are also FINALLY shipping. Pretty excited. 

Edited by DuskRaider

DARK OMEN

House Makabius Armiger Warglaive

Well... it's done. This model finished up MUCH quicker than I anticipated. Not even a week! I'll say that this sealed the deal for me in respect to starting a Knights army: 100% yes. That's not to say there wasn't some stumbling to get to the finish line, especially when it comes to the scheme (as you can see in earlier posts). I was able to figure it out for the most part and I think I know how I'm going to proceed from this point on. First, attempting any sort of my sunburst technique is a lost cause. German Grey is just too dark to get it to work efficiently without looking weird. The key seems to be a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade and panel lining in Nuln Oil.

Anyhow, I'll start to focus on my larger Knights from this point on. I also received yet another commission from my buddy with the Tyranids, this time for big bugs (Heirodule and Harridan) and some of the old discontinued FW terrain. The payment? A Cerastus Knight Atropos. It'll be interesting warping and mutating the model. That will bring my total thus far to 2 x Questor Knights 1 x Armiger & 1 x Atropos with the intention of picking up two more Questor Knights and another 2 Armigers to finish it all out (although I'd LOVE a Porphyrion). 

@Hushrong: It's hard to look at my son's Knights as healthy competition when I'm also the one painting them :biggrin.:

Alright, without further ado... the Armiger:

A2SF9iTh.jpg

aMaUSh6h.jpg

DMaZI31h.jpg

cJKaFXgh.jpg

K2uJL26h.jpg

P8Xn0smh.jpg

S2yj4Hdh.jpg

VczE7Hih.jpg

Perhaps tomorrow I'll take a group photo of all the models I've painted for ETL 2018.

Hmm, while the rusty metal (or rather: the rust. Doesn't seem to be any metal left under there ;) ) and icky fleshy parts are fantastic, I have to say the grey carapace does look a little phoned in -- I think if you want to keep it that colour (to match an official house heraldry, for example), there are still a couple of things you could/should do to make it look a bit more accomplished, such as...

• picking out the rivets in a metallic (or rusty) colour
  • adding some light grey highlights on the sharpest angles
  • adding some chaotic runes -- seriously, that top hatch is just begging for some kind of Nurgle rune/fly icon

Thanks everyone!

@Kraut: I really did try my best with it but it seems like German Grey just absorbs any color you mix with it. I had added up to 50% Administratum Grey to get a lighter color (you can kind of see it in the middle) to no avail. Funny thing is, FW uses this same color and doesn't highlight it. At all. The other issue is that the carapace has very little in the way of sharp angles, it's rounded and sloping. I think have the pits and holes in the carapace with the rust will do alright, but I may attempt another blend.

I do have the FW House Makabius transfer sheet which I do intend on using once the other Knights are ready as well (the same can be said for my Warhound too) and I want to add the House crest to the hatch. It's really the only place I could apply one.

Alright, opinion time!

I've just about finished up the first Knight and I'm using one of the FW Questor Mechanicus heads (it's really creepy looking) but it just isn't Nurgly enough. I've decided to add the breathing apparatus and tubes from the Bloat Drone. How does it look?

v9ugAHC.jpg

12zTVcB.jpg

Pics aren't the best and I took them real quick, but I hope you get the jist of it. Thoughts? This is the less mutated of the two Knights.

The head is excellend and creepy! Definitely a keeper! One small suggestion: The tube that connects back to the torso needs a bit more work/a better place of attachment: Either have it attach clearly above or clearly below the "hip ring". Or just make it even more disgusting with a bit of GS -- whatever works for you ;)

Just one thing: Please, PLEASE do not use that ultra tacky heraldic shield with the faces! That has to be the worst part of an already pretty phony Forgeworld kit :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

I was going to use the bare tilt shield on the other Knight. Yeaj, the faces one is kind of lame but I think with my flesh on it it could look better.

I agree the kit isn't the best thing FW has produced and they could have gone further with it (like with the frame and more mutations) but it seemed like a good base to work with.

As for the tube, it actually tucks under the chest plate (not pictured since I paint the plates separately). I did forget to add the slime or drool or whatever to the various tubes, though.