DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Looking good, DuskRaider! Excellent idea. I'll echo KrautScientist's advice about the tubes - it'd be easy to make a proper 'attachement' with some GreenStuff/Milliput. Also, use that putty to 'attach' the rebreather and the other junk to his face a bit more. I'm sure you'll do fine with the shield. Your flesh recipe is awesome. Especially now that you've improved it with my buboe trick! :D :tu:

Hah! Improved... actually yeah, it has with that. It gives it a "pop!".

I did the green stuff work earlier tonight and it's been primed. I'll re-evaluate the tube going to the torso too and see what I should do. The pictures were just to get a basic idea of what I had in mind, I was always going to use putty to blend it all sillies!

I was definitely on the fence with the shield (still kind of am) but this Knight is less mutated than the next one (by a long shot) so I wanted something to give it a little more oomph, I suppose.

Speaking of the other Knight, I started assembling it. I definitely have my work cut out for me with the green stuff but I did pick up some aluminum foil as per BCK's advice. Wish me luck with this because for Nurgle's sake I'm going to need it.

Edited by DuskRaider

This new knight looks fantastic Dus.

That head is creepy and brilliant. The two slightly different eyes are great for that uneasy feeling. The skull looks convincing enough to paint it a (rotting) bone colour. The rebreather is a great idea. The whole thing is Nurgley so the head will be Nurlgey enough altogether, especially with the horn.

I had a slight reaction to the shield as the others did BUT it actually looks like Nurglings. So it will totally fit in on a Nurgle knight. Especially if your doing several you need the variation. Is it possible to share yours/Augustus' buboes tip? Or point me in the right direction to find it (painting buboes tonight, hopefully).

Great to see the rotted through horn being used top right, that's prime horn right there.

For the more mutated knight if your packing your green stuff with foil you must be going all in. So best of luck! Some of the better sculpts i've seen have a tendonous structure underneath which you can then hang and sculpt around. On the bigger fleshy forgeworld stuff you can almost see the tendon's, tentacles, muscles underneath. It also gives your eye something to identify in the mass of mess. Hope that helps.

Thanks KDC but let's not get carried away... tendon and muscle is still way out of my skill set. It'll mainly be for filling gaps from using parts of the Glottkin and fusing it (or attempting to) to the Knight frame and such.

The buboes are actually really simple. Previously I had a multi-step process for it but Auggy cut it down to two paints while making it pop more. Simply Averland Sunset base and then diluted Blood for the Blood God. That's it!

Misunderstanding, I’d got it in my head you were switching tac and doing large swathes of green stuff. Ignore me.

Thanks for the tip (both)! I was still using a red wash like it was the Middle Ages. This sounds like it will be much faster and more modern.

Does anyone know of any smoke bits similar to the ones coming from the Armiger? I'm in need of some of those and / or the insect swarms coming out of Mortarion, Typhus, Deathshroud, etc.

I've got an idea...

There are insect swarms on the maggoth sprue if you still have that about.

I’ve also recently seen a few people making billowing smoke out of a wire frame and foam insulation spray. These might be a bit hit and miss so you could make a few. Wouldn’t be a good match to the armiger Smoke either.

I wasn't going to show this off yet due to having no green stuff work done on it at all, but I finally finished assembly and I'm really happy with the outcome thus far.

Here's the "Gallant" equivalent for my House Makabius army. He's a bit ill...

5CIXdtF.jpg

v79lXg9.jpg

DgMA4tL.jpg

hoSVF5j.jpg

98d4Bl3.jpg

SSxu8GL.jpg

I shudder at the amount of green stuff work this needs and there's still plenty of time for me to screw this up, but I'm just excited it got this far.

Thank you, kind sir. I had been planning this particular guy for quite some time actually. Back when I played 30K exclusively I had intended on starting a House Makabius army to compliment my Death Guard but it never happened. Flash forward to FW's Chaos Index, I began planning something out, even if only for hobby and display. When GW re-released Knights Renegade along with the Renegade Knight Index I just couldn't help myself. My son had wanted a Knight since he first received his Skitarii codex and models Christmas of '16 (I think, it's been a while) and when I bought him the box set I really wanted to make sure we could play games of giant robots. The idea seems to have caught on a bit because now I have a couple friends doing the same with the same intent.

I started the green stuff on the leg and was able to get a little done before I had to get ready for work. I'm using more materials to create different sized buboes and give it more character. I may have skulls, etc. also melding into the flesh or in cankers. I'm trying my best to avoid nurglings. At this point I'd like to expand upon this army but I've used up a lot of my bits on the three I've built so far so I don't know what I'll do from here. I'm on the fence with picking up an Armiger box or more Sector Mechanicus terrain for Kill Team as I've also been doing a side project of permanently assembling my existing terrain.

@ Welles: The Spitters are actually just the barrels attached to the Thermal Lance. It's a counts-as Lance, just Nurgle'd it up a bit. I'll eventually do a couple Helverins using the Bloat Drone Plaguespitters to count as the Autocannons. The tail is a bit odd but I felt it just lended itself to make the model look more mutated (and slightly vermin-like).

@Discord: Thanks bud... I'll agree, extremely ambitious. I was a little worried I'd go overboard with it but I think I found a good balance. I hope so, at least. One of the main features I wanted my Knight to have was the third slightly atrophied arm sprouting out. When you look at it all together and the mouth - vortex kinda thing under the cockpit hatch it almost seems like there's a daemon inside trying to claw it's way out or gestating in the hull. 

Ohhhh, that is nice! That's a reallllly nice knight already. Awesome use of bits and conversion work. I'm honestly darting back and forth between the pictures taking it all in. I mean the spines on its upper torso, the extra arm growing, that sword from the plastic GUO (right?), and even the growth spurt on the left leg is just jaw dropping.

I can see if I have those wispy smoke bits from my old deathshroud as I did not build them with it on, if you are still interested. I'm a ninety percent sure I did build my mortarion with his though.

Nurgle Knight conversions can so easily go astray from what I have seen (not here I might add). I'm so happy to see this one. You have got it so right. You've basically got to take a risk with something like this. But its paying off in spades.

The head is working so well. The cyclops with the horn, but also it's very fly like. So it's a lot of nurgle packed in there.

The pose is great. I always think three arms is a great opportunity to have two poses. Your brain will naturally pick an arm and match it up with the rest. Both arms work as a pose with the rest individually. That is a little hard for me to express without me waffling on.

The whole thing is packed with great features, I'll try not to just list them back to you, after all you know what you've done.

It's fantastic, I love it, your going to have an enviable Renegade Knight Household at the end of this.

Thanks everyone!

The sword is indeed from the Great Unclean One kit, same as the blade the Armiger is rocking. I love the Reaper Chainsword that comes with the Chaos Knight kit but it doesn't really scream Nurgle to me. I'll probably use it on my second Gallant (whenever I get another Knight or two).

The head actually has a few lenses, the cyclopean being the largest. I drilled one out and if you look closely you can see a tentacle or tongue coning out and starting to wrap around the horn.

@hushrong: yeah, if you still have the smoke / flies I'd definitely be interested. I'll obviously be doing more Knights at some point so I welcome any bits and this guy still has a bone stack or two that have nothing emitting from them.

Oh man, I love this thing. Soooo much work and soooo inspiring. That third arm is a thing of beauty/what nightmares are made of. Excellent work.

This is going to be wicked. 

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/popcorn-michael-jackson-gif-5.gif

Why?Why? WHY?!?! Why do you people have to keep making such damned cool conversions!?! I've been trying to avoid buying a knight for some time, but that may be the coolest chaos knight conversion I've seen yet.  Seriously, its inspirational and you may have pushed me over the edge. Like Augustus, I'll be eagerly watching the progress on this one. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

I'm glad I can inspire someone with my insanity.

Speaking of which, I've completed the green stuff to the best of my ability. Keep in mind I'm no BCK. I did notice I forgot to do some work on the head but it's just blending that needs to be done so nothing to see.

The model is currently held together with green stuff so you (and mainly me) could get an idea of what it looks like fully assembled. Proper fitting will be done later.

This thing is an absolute behemoth. As you can clearly see, I can barely fit it in the picture frame. It makes a normal Knight look dinky in comparison.

Once the green stuff cures I'll hit this sucker with primer but don't expect paint anytime soon, I still have to finish my son's House Cadmus.

So here we go...

gaOANCV.jpg

YJa60F0.jpg

TYeVEgQ.jpg

7cajWD6.jpg

WqpuJ5u.jpg

Q5Kd4Ek.jpg

JuQfs3C.jpg

1LQMWL9.jpg

NM3GgVe.jpg

lFcnTeQ.jpg

That was fast. The front leg is very chunky now. You’ve done a fantastic job with the green stuff marrying the mutated parts to the rest. Pose has gone droopy but that’s no doubt due to him not being stuck together right now. Edited by Krakendoomcool