DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

I was going to say that your Knight is probably the most inspired model I've seen in weeks, but then I scrolled down and saw your Dark Mechanicum troops (or whatever they are). Absolutely amazing work there, very intelligent kit-bashing and posing. I love everything about them. Can't wait to see them painted.

Thank you very much everyone! While I did enjoy the project that made me initially create this thread (Death Guard), I think the freedom of creating these strange and... macabre... creatures, not bound by rules and the laws of GW is much more fun. It's actually quite liberating to let my (admittedly quite twisted as times) imagination run wild. Between concepts I have struggled to find a way to physically create to lore that will probably never leave the vault of my mind, I have so much to pull from. 

I know I promised pics of the Armigers but I've been quite busy this weekend and while I've gotten a decent amount done (heads, CC arms and one ranged weapon) I don't think it's enough to justify a picture update just yet. I do like the direction they're headed in though, much more in line with the most recent Knight (more archaic tech and experimentation than outright mutation). 

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks Grizz!

Well... here's the progress on the Armigers thus far. Keep in mind that I still have a lot of work to do, but they're taking shape. As you'll also notice, I've recycled some Decimator bits on them. After hacking the boiler off of it to use for the Knight I figured why not use more? The Decimator Claw has been an idea I've been wanting to use since the first Armiger so I'm glad to finally see it come to fruition.

nVi5Mch.jpg

5OXqYx1.jpg

yF7OgAV.jpg

M2MlhUU.jpg

Thoughts?

Absolutely love those Chaos Armigers, especially the masterful use of bits. The Decimator is my favorite Chaos model, period, and it's quite satisfying to see it seamlessly merged with a big modern plastic kit like this. Keep up the good work!

honest opinion. 

I dont like the big claw on the one Armiger. It feels out of scale and overbalanced to the rest of the model. Like a Fiddler Crab, but not as cool. 

Sorry.

I'm actually in agreement. It looks way too big for the Armiger, and not in a good way.

Very well done for pushing through the rough patch with the knight with the tree growing out of it. That’s a lot of work to chew through like that.

The Styrix is a great design that you’ve really leaned into the archaic look for.

Those Dark Mechanicum are really coming to life now with the paint on, I loved them already.

Those armigers have a fantastic Xenonorph siloette especially with the tentacles.

All great stuff. It’s amaxing how quickly this force has grown especially with the amount of work you’ve done on everything.

Oh yeah, I think the model is a blast to build and especially modify. I've still got some work to do with them and I haven't touched them since the pics but it's not too much more.

Surprisingly yes, the Decimator bits are pretty close to the same size as the Armiger equivalents. Even the Claw is close to the size of the CC arm they come with, albeit laeger width and height wise. The legs are a bit chunkier in places, but I think it gives them a unique look... like they've been repaired on the field or a part of more experimentation (prototype parts for testing or something).

I contemplated using other parts too but ultimately decided against it. I didn't want to stray too far from the original design but simply make it more unique.

The Armigers are looking great! I was surprised by how well almost all of those Decimator bitz just seem to slot in without a hitch ;) The claw doesn't work for me either, as it looks as though the machine can barely lift it, but if you like it, then that's all that matters. Using those GUO skulls as heads was indeed a brilliant idea! These really convey the feeling of a mad Heretek tinkering away at them and making them more effective (and also more chaotic) all the time. Very nice! :)

Woah, this thing looks immense. The warhound is one of my favourite big models and I hope to grab one one day (probably from when I fell in love with a Demo for MechWarrior 2). I love the sores you've put all over it and the guy you've painted up in the cockpit looks great... Well... He's obviously seen better days, but nice job!

Wonderful job on these, I'll revisit often to inspire my own war machine efforts! Thanks for sharing this man, so cool.

@Kraut: funny you mention that, I almost made the Armiger dragging the weapon... Dark Mechanicum have an edge on Mars where they can experiment to their heart's content, defy reality with the Warp, and make cooler looking machines :D

@Pandora: I'm guessing you mean the Knight and not the Warhound? I'm really not sure.

@Kraut: funny you mention that, I almost made the Armiger dragging the weapon...

You know what, maybe you should still do that -- it would actually run with the awkwardness inherent in that arm and actively address it instead of it just looking a bit off. Plus it would give off the vibe that adding the claw might have been a spur of the moment idea by the Magos working on the Knight, with very little concern for actual practicality...

You know what, maybe you should still do that -- it would actually run with the awkwardness inherent in that arm and actively address it instead of it just looking a bit off. Plus it would give off the vibe that adding the claw might have been a spur of the moment idea by the Magos working on the Knight, with very little concern for actual practicality...

This. All of it.