DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

PBB is talking about the warhound -I’m guessing as the Chaos Warhound is OOP, he thinks the sores and the pilot are your work? Just take the compliment! I won’t tell if you won’t. ;)

I’m with Kraut on the arm.

Also, where did you get those lovely exhausts?

Wow, yeah... It's been a while since I did the Warhound. Yeah, all of that work on it is my doing too ;)

The exhaust stacks are from Kromlech. I used a couple on the Gnarlmaw Knight as well but they're kinda drowned out by the tree itself. Ork Vehicle Exhausts, I thought they'd give the Knights a more custom / somewhat cobbled together feel. Hell of a deal too, you get 10 stacks I believe.

Bah, you guys are too cruel! Well it's a compliment in way as I could see you being capable of those details. I couldn't even figure out why you were confused because since I saw what you said I can't see your imbeded anymore for some reason. Thanks for clarifying my error Augs... I'll just do the walk of shame now.

Hope what ever the problem is fixes itself soon, I don't want to miss out on your content!

The dragging claw looks fantastic, plus it also compliments the rest of the pose really well! I agree with Auggs about adding some cabling that actually plugs into the actual claw. And maybe a hint of a bracing mechanism, so it looks like the claw could actually be raised, if only in emergencies :wink: Apart from that, it's perfect. You could even have some marks/grooves/scratches on the base, to show how the claw is being dragged along the floor, for that extra bit of realism.

Oh, and you'll probably have seen this, but just in case: There seems to be a misalignment on the upper barrel of the Knight's right arm weapon.

Keep up the amazing work! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

I actually did a little work to the arm last night and changed the pose a bit. I've bent the elbow slightly and turned the claw so that the top armoured half is now dragging. Unfortunately there's no wrist segment so I cannot exactly get the pose I'd like, but this is close. I think. I'll take pics when I'm home.

I'll probably add more cabling, I like making it anyhow. It's more of a challenge not going overboard :D

I also noticed the barrel is cockeyed. If anything I'll drill it out a bit until it looks even because there's no way I'm separating that piece without mangling it.

PBB: are you perhaps thinking of the Hall of Fame Titan thread? I did recently post pics of my Warhound over there.

@ Dusky: I'm so looking forward to those pics!

@ Dusky: (in hidden brackets because slightly OT)

Hidden Content

Bah, you guys are too cruel! Well it's a compliment in way as I could see you being capable of those details. I couldn't even figure out why you were confused because since I saw what you said I can't see your imbeded anymore for some reason. Thanks for clarifying my error Augs... I'll just do the walk of shame now.

Hope what ever the problem is fixes itself soon, I don't want to miss out on your content!

Aww buddy! I wasn't correcting you, just tried to explain to Dusky. :smile.: No walks of shame are needed, ever. The hobby and the forum are for everyone and no-one is better or worse for being in the hobby for longer or shorter periods of time. I'm sure I speak for tons of frater when I say your input here, elsewhere, and on my own thread is appreciated and highly valued! Now, go make a walk of pride. :wink:

Bah! I forgot to take pics. I'll get them at some point tomorrow but now that I think about it... I may try to incorporate Kraut's idea of some kind of a bracing mechanism. In fact, I may put together or find some pistons to do so. I have to see what I have lying around. I'm still unsure of the current position I've given it. As I said, I wasn't able to 100% achieve the pose I wanted due to the model not having a wrist feature. It almost looks like it's just bending backward. Maybe... maybe I'll just go balls to the wall and remove the claw with my dremel and make my own "wrist" feature to make it a proper knuckle dragger. 

Hey look, pics!

Bear in mind that this is just assembled so there's still a lot to do. As you can see, I've got the arm in a position closer to what I had imagined. I've also begin assembling something of a brace out of watch parts, I couldn't find anything to work as pistons and my plasticard tubing is too big.

QAzrokI.jpg

ePMMRN8.jpg

iSOvqvO.jpg

Pz5hu4A.jpg

I've also taken extra pic of the other Armiger's head to show the mechanical features of it. I wanted to give it a servo skull vibe, but moremmm chaotic. The massive claw Armiger has less of a tech vibe to it but I've balanced that with adding the Bloat Drone claws, like a Tyrannosaurus of sorts.

C0quyrk.jpg

68nftKP.jpg

H8ooXdT.jpg

The bracing mechanism looks good, but I don't really get why you felt the need to lift the actual claw off the ground: Most of the - really cool - dragging effect gets lost that way, and I would really suggest lowering it again. Right now, it looks as though the claw were swinging free, which is arguably much less cool than the look you had before. On a related note, the angle of the gun arm also worked better before, if you ask me, but then that arm still seems to be loose, right?

The head, with all the tech-y gubbinz, is really cool, though!

Sorry, I hate to be "that guy"... :(

Man, I love this guy. The Little mechaical details around the head around so cool and the watch part brace is fantastic! I was wondering how you made that thing, cool idea. So what's the deal with the position of the Decimator claw? Are you putting something underneath it on the base like fallen concrete for it to be dragging over or is it meant to be walking with it pointing backwards like that.

This is such a very cool kitbash and some engenious use of parts. Well done man. Looking forward to seeing it develope and get painted up!

Well the arm isn't glued in so I can move it in a position to where it's touching the ground. I wish the arm itself was slightly longer... you know what? Let me see if I can splice the other arm piece to make it slightly longer. I want it at the angle to show it's limp but I want it dragging slightly behind the Armiger as well to convey it's weight.

And yeah, the gun arm is also unglued, in just popped it on real quick to take the picture.

Edited by DuskRaider

This is precisely why I put my work up as I go instead of waiting until I finish everything because constructive criticism has often made my figures turn out much better than I would done on my own. The arm looks fantastic now, awesome addition with the brace of watch parts btw, and really gives the impression of a modification made in the field to take advantage of salvage from a friend or foe. 

Kraut, don't be afraid of being "that guy", because you're not. Your suggestions and criticism is always given from the position of wanting to help improve a problem you see. I can't recall ever seeing one of your comments being what I call destructive criticism where the intent is solely to belittle or insult. 

@ BCK: Aw, shucks, that is very nice of you to say! I really appreciate the kind words! :)

Regarding the tweaked claw arm, yeah, I think this latest version really nails it! As for the rest of the pose, if there is still any leeway at all, I think I'd try to replicate the pose from this picture as closely as possible (the dragging arm notwithstanding, of course):

vCmk2sk.jpg

I don't know, there's just something that really clicks about the way the head and right arm are aligned.

Thanks! I think I've finally got the pose I was aiming for. Oh, I'm not even worried about the gun arm position at this point. It'll be adjusted to match where it's looking when it's been painted.

Argh, now I hate to be that guy. I think the watch parts-as-a-brace work really well, but the extended arm makes it look unfeasible, visibly. It makes me wonder why a heretech - even an incompetent one - would decided me make the arm so long. Even without the weight conveyed by the large claw, in combination with the spindly arm wouldn't be an issue, physics-wise, why would the upper arm be almost twice the length of the already over-sized claw? It would make actually getting the arm near the enemy almost impossibru! The previous incarnation was far more 'realistic' (if that word can be applied to a futuristic daemon-tech amalgam) (this one:)

Hidden Content

How's this, you heretical scumdogs? Be aware that the shoulder still rotates but obviously the elbow does not.

K3MlXw5.jpg

:confused:

I mean, I don't think it really needs to be feasible. Especially to our frail understanding of physics and whatnot grounded in real space. The previous iteration worked as far as length appearance wise, but it made the idea of the weapon dragging difficult. It really didn't touch the ground much. The current look is more of a visual horror kind of thing, like so:

MV5BNGQ1MTNiZjEtMDI2Mi00YmZlLTlkZWYtNjM4

Whatever the hell this thing is

tumblr_pagd9ju4Da1x7zfrbo1_500.jpg

The Wendigo, probably my favorite mythological monster

5f3m2y9ikyu01.jpg

A Gibbon

And the most frightening of all...

http://heraceinthehole.com/wp-content/gallery/things-piper-likes/brobee.jpg

Brobee

I'm less interested in realism with warp based models and more into the idea of causing some sort of visceral reaction. It should bother you that it's unnatural. Also keep in mind it's still not complete. I do intend on adding more cabling and bracing / mechanical parts which should bulk it up some.

Edited by DuskRaider

I am liking the new direction with the Knuckledragger.

I grew up with a kid in the neighborhood who was deformed, among other mental and developmental issues. When he would have one of his rage episodes, having him running at you, screaming and flailing his deformed arm and hand like some kind of floppy club... Still gives me the creeps to this day..