DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

This whole army is so impressive!  You've nailed so much stuff.  I really like the variations you've got through the colours, but they still tie together beautifully as an army. 

If you ever have the inclination, I'd love to see a whole tutorial on a plague marine and see the photos at each stage for all of the different parts.

You're a legend!

Really impressive paintjob on that death guard ! The poxe Horde is particulary breathtaking !

You manage to transcribe a kind of horror in your plague marines that I haven't seen before, that's a verry interesting treatment you got there ! I love it.

Malchy

Oh wow... thanks folks! 

I've had a bunch of people between here, FB & Imgur ask me to do tutorials for the armour and the flesh so that will be coming fairly soon. Currently, I'm working on Rotigus and my Lord / Blightlords, so once they're done I'll move onto some Plague Marines and make a detailed tutorial. 

ROTIGUS RAINMAKER

THE GENEROUS ONE, THE DOOM OF NEBBUS

Glad tidings, my dark brethren! I come bearing the good news, our saviour Rotigus Rainmaker has manifested in the material realm and brings his great gifts to all. I uh... I honestly can't believe I finished this guy so fast. I started him what? Sunday night? This model is just so awesome that I couldn't put my brush down, I had to see this behemoth complete. I'm not sure what else to say, so I'm just going to leave you all with the finished product. 

VM1iLGNh.jpg

ykFdrn9h.jpg

GIv7362h.jpg

W8r7J0rh.jpg

fe0XiLbh.jpg

kjkTFr8h.jpg

VfSLUNxh.jpg

TenlFEmh.jpg

6vH5QCih.jpg

ZLHRKk2h.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider

Amazing work DR! really liking the skin tone you have gone for, the Dark green of the hood contrasts greatly with it. Amazing work even down to the finger/toe nails. Also like the way you have not glued the belly in so you can swap it out for the others, my fav is the guts spewing out :) 

And they say I'm fast... Boy did you knock this out of the park! I'm surprised at the ease with which the guts/mouth can be exchanged in the belly!

My favourite part is the way you did his nails. Veritably disgusting!!! Blegh! :sick: 

What's your skin recipe? :)

Thanks guys! I think Rotigus here is my favorite model I've painted so far, even more so than the Death Lord himself. As far as the flesh recipe, I'll list it but be aware I do intend to make a step - by - step tutorial with pictures soon... I may pick up one of the new Plaguebearer Heralds for the occasion. Anyhow, it's as follows:

1. Prime model Corax White (as usual)

2. Base model in Pallid Wych Flesh

3. Wash model with diluted Seraphim Sepia

4. Wash model with diluted Carroburg Crimson, concentrating on recesses

5. Repeat step 4 with diluted Athonian Camoshade

6. Repeat step 4 with diluted Druchii Violet... with this one I tend to concentrate more on joints, bends, shaded areas and wounds

7. Lightly drybrush model with Pallid Wych Flesh. You don't want to overpower the washes, but you do want to pick out the raised areas and coat some of the washed areas. This gives the illusion of the washed areas being under the skin like congealed blood and body fluids.

8. This part is optional, but I feel it helps the model... pop, I guess. Add undiluted Carroburg Crimson to central recessed areas of the model. Wet your brush and use it to push the Crimson outward into the rest of the recessed and shadowed areas.

That's it. I've also done Step 8 with Athonian Camoshade as well using some Poxwalkers. It's all optional, as are the washes themselves used. This recipe could just as easily be applied to different God-specific models using different wash colors, etc.

Pfffft.... ratios. I load the brush with wash, dip it in water and go to town. I don't have this down to a science, I just go with instinct I guess you could say. I'm definitely not a formulaic or traditional artist in the least. Same when I mix my paints, I make a guess if it's 50/50 or whatever, I don't measure a damn thing. 

Edit: Maybe not LOAD the brush with wash, but I dip at least the tip in to get some soak into the brush and then dip into the water really quick. This all sounds so perverse too... anyhow, I'm sure some see it as a waste of wash or whatever but somehow I still get my large bottles to last 6 months or more with all the models I do and it's just how I taught myself. I never followed paint tutorials or anything when I started, I just kind of went with what I felt would work. 

Edited by DuskRaider

@b'Raass: Yeah man, that's why it's hard for me to write down recipes sometimes... I have no concept of ratios I'm using or how to describe some of my techniques. I'm still trying to remember how I did my first batch of bases since I have more coming, lol.

@Malcharion: Thank you brother, I really appreciate it. The eyes have a gloss to them as well, I'm reminded of that scene in Jaws when doing my Nurgle models...

http://youtu.be/VUuH4TEmgLo

They're supposed to feel dead and empty, like there's an abyss in they're sockets (or lenses in the case of the Death Guard) void of all life. Helmetless ones and Poxwalkers have yellowish eyes.

Edited by DuskRaider

Bah! Yeah, well... I'm too tired and sick to mess with it right now. I forgot to mention I've also had the flu since Sunday and it's been horrible... terrible year for it as well. I'm working on finishing my Lord and Blightlords as I type this as well as starting the shading on the FW Great Unclean One. We'll see how long these all take, for some reason I feel the GUO would go faster than the others. 

You know, I never knew influenza was a respiratory virus... I always figured it was intestinal or something. This is only the third time I've ever had it in my 35 years so this has been quite an experience. Nurgle has definitely blessed me.