DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

While I toil away at these Plaguebearers, I've found myself extremely motivated by the reveal of Kill Team. I've been mulling over some different Team ideas and I'd like some input from all of you. I'm having a difficult time deciding between the following:

- Blood Axe Ork Kommando Kill Team... they would tie in with my Blood Axe army. Probably wearing Greatcoats and wool caps, but I'm not sure what else I would do. I think these would be both the easiest and the most difficult to pull off, if only for the sake of sticking with the regimented and disciplined theme of my Orks while also making them individuals.

- Beastman Trench Raider Kill Team... most likely using the Astra Militarum codex, and most likely Catachan. Unfortunately, Beastmen have no actual rules and unfortunately I cannot port over the 30K Militia rules. I could utilize some counts-as with these, like Ogyrn - Bullgor (but Christ as those ugly minis), River Tolls or third party. Or I make them Loyalist...ish, and make everything else sanctioned races only.

-Chaos Cultist Kill Team... with these I'd either do a Nurgle Cult to tie into my Death Guard or I'd go unaligned, more like Mercs.

-Finally... a Highlander Astra Militarum Team, as a tribute to my great grand-da who served in the 16th INF Scottish Canadian in WWI. Like the Beastmen I'd want an Orgyn, but I'm a bit put-off by the idea of sculpting a kilt, let alone attempting to paint tartan for any of them. If anything I'd make their kilts olive drab.

For me it's more a toss up between the Beastmen and Highlanders, although the others have plenty to build off of. 

Edit: Oh yeah, one last one and it's probably over played... but Alpha Legion. 

Edited by DuskRaider

That's what I'm leaning toward as well. I've started to collect links to the various bits I want to use (mainly Victoria Miniatures), but without Kill Team in hand (for gods only know how long) and not actually owning the IG codex either, it's a waiting game at this point. I have to figure out what Regiment I want to run them as, etc. 

Looking at this, I think I've just about made up my mind on olive drab kilts as well. This is the Stewart Hunting tartan utilized by the 16th INF... 

http://www.scotlandshop.com/Images/Tartans/Stewart-Hunting-Modern-8oz-wool-tartan-swatch_lg.jpg

I think I'd rather pull my fingernails out with pliers than attempt that on a 28mm model. 

Yeah sure but how about simplifying it - just using the red and yellow stripes on a blue-green background?

I tried a burberry shawl on an ork bomber and it wasn't that much hassle, to be honest:

Hidden Content
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/temporary_zpshudujzff.jpg

Funny enough, I used to have a Trollblood army and I sold it off because I couldn't get the tartan down. That was years ago, maybe I'll take a crack at it again. Painting tartan that is, I'll never play Warmahordes again.

Well here's something for your viewing pleasure...

I just finished assembling the last of the two Start Collecting boxes I received in trade for my Khorne Daemon army. I uhh... I'm starting to think maybe I went a little overboard with this. What was originally intended to simply be an allied detachment using mostly old models in my possession has grown into something much MUCH more. So far we have the following:

Rotigus Rainmaker

Great Unclean One / Scabiethrax

Horticulous Slimux / Epidemius Counts-As

2 x Herald of Nurgle (one being a corrupted Tech Priest)

2 x Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/ Wings

1 x Deacon Mamon Transfigured

Spoilpox Scrivener

Piper

90 Plaguebearers

12 Nurgling swarms

6 Plague Drones

3 Plague Toads

Plague Hulk

Phew! Suffice to say a lot. More than I had planned on. What was I thinking? Anyhow, as you'll see in the pics I'm currently working on a horde of Plaguebearers as well as a couple HQs, which after they're finished will be followed up with... a horde of Plaguebearers. Really, 90 is a lot. Maybe too much. We'll see.

In other news, I'm starting to think of ways to convert a counts-as Epidemius since Slimux has ported over to 40K as is actually kind of a beast in CC. I've been gathering up ideas, but as far as pre-made chariots or palanquins the selection is pretty slim. I've had a few ideas, such as creating one out of balsa wood and plasticard (which I hate working with). The second is using one of the new Plague Drones from the Pusgoyle box and having Epidemius carried around on the dead husk of one by a Big Mutie / Daemon.

Another update... I've decided to go completely against everything you guys said and build a Knight. I'm a jerk. But really, it has more to do with wanting to see the actual Ork codex rules before committing to ANYTHING at all, seeing as they're not exactly cheap and the codex isn't due until at least the end of the year so it's a bit of a wait. That and I think I could put together a pretty cool Nurgle Knight, not even considering how it would play in the game.

Finally... Kill Team. I am going to do an Albian Highlands Northern Watch Kill Team - eventually. I don't think I'm there at this point, both mentally and skill wise to pull it off well so I'm going to take my time to gather the bits and do them right, both in a psuedo-historical context and paint wise. In the meantime, I think I'm going to combine two of my prior ideas and make a Pestigor Kill Team using Plaguebearer models along with skulls from the Citadel Skull Box. Rules wise I'll probably use Plaguebearer rules, although I may go with the Death Guard codex so I can throw in human Cultists, Poxwalkers and a Death Guard legionnaire to command the whole thing I have an idea to make a Minotaur-like creature out of a FW Plague Ogryn as well. We'll see, it's all in the planning phase thus far and I'll have to find a way to make them obvious Beastmen while also using PB models. I see a lot of green stuff in my future (and maybe some Skitarii bits to bring them to 40K more). 

Alright, no more words... only Daemons now.

XZB0Lyuh.jpg

9QTGn7oh.jpg

VBvb3xdh.jpg

hsK5yn9h.jpg

0susl1sh.jpg

aJYsBt0h.jpg

Ehh... I'm really not. I had to go back and do another highlight of Pallid Wych Flesh because the final Carroburg Crimson wash I did was way too overpowering. I like where they are now but I've spent so much time on them. You can also see the first 30 I did look completely different from these, so I'm not sure if I want to keep them and sprinkle them throughout the 3 units or repaint them. Some days I wish I just stuck with my old green...

What I do is add a ton of water to BFTBG and give all fleshy yucky parts an all-over wash. It gives a nice slimy, bloody sheen to the miniature. If that's your goal with the GW Carburough Crimson treatment, perhaps it's worth a try? 

I'm planning on using a lot more Green Wash on my plague bearers myself, yeah.  

Anyway, love to see more of your inspiring stuff!! :D

I mainly do it to bring some color back into the model. I think Marius touched on it prior though, the models for the Poxwalkers and the Plaguebearers are very different and thus perhaps the recipe isn't working the same on them. I'm not too sure, but I've found a way around it for now. I'm moving onto the boils now (I started them but did the highlight of PWF over them afterwards, so some need to be touched up) and then they'll be close to complete. 

Man, I love your Nurgle stuff, especially the Daemons. They're so different from what you normally see, colour-wise. Also, I'm not sure if its good or bad if they make me itch by looking at them? :lol:

Thank you! The color almost didn't happen for my Daemons but I loved how it turned out on the Poxwalkers and had to make it a sort of subtheme for my Nurgle forces. Green Daemons are scary as it is, but when you have these cyclopean horrors shambling toward you and the bear a resemblance to you and your kin...

Work continues tonight on the Plaguebearers. Hopefully they'll be finished by this time next week!

Instead of making a new post, I figure I'll just edit this one...

I've begun purchasing bits with which to build my Pestigor Pack. Currently I'm simply going to build the Pestigor themselves until I see what can be further accomplished via Kill Team. I'd love to build a Shaman using the Poxbringer rules, but if ICs are barred then I'll be using the Death Guard codex and go from there. 

I'm going to stray a bit from my original idea of using Beastmen skulls for their heads since I don't really want them to look like they're dead. I'll instead be using Gor heads and I will add some green stuff to integrate them into the Plaguebearer bodies. I may make a couple exceptions to this, mainly with the "Minotaur".

I can't tell you how difficult it is to find Beastman bits since AoS came to be... what a headache. I need to start thinking of how to make them appear to be noticeably from the 41st millennium even though the rules I'll be using have no ranged attack hence the lack of any sort of firearm. I'm contemplating giving them grenades and such as decoration, but again Plagubearers don't even have access to Blight Grenades (any ranged whatsoever). This will be a real challenge. 

Edited by DuskRaider

Back at ya man, I just purchased some micro beads on eBay to assist with the Kill Team project and my remaining Poxwalkers.

By the way, I'm also open to suggestions with this Kill Team as far as ideas. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not unopposed to using the Death Guard codex to make this work and would also give me the option of Cultists and Poxwalkers (as well as a Death Guard Legionnaire)... I don't want to dilute the theme of the Team too much, though.

Edited by DuskRaider

Technically I guess Step One would be to prime the model Corax White but I didn't take a pic of this because I have enough faith in you guys that you can handle this without an illustration.

Instructions unclear my plaguebearers are now on fire.

I've started the concept for my Kill Team. I'm going to need some feedback from everyone on this one.

In the photo below you'll see two concepts I'm going for. They may only be the head but it's probably the most crucial part of the model and will set the precedent for the warband.

On the left is a Pestigor with a skull head. This is arguably the most grimdark of the two options and definitely gives a horror vibe. Unfortunately, it also gives less of an "afflicted" feel and more of an "undead, possible Beastman Poxwalker" aura.

On The right is, obviously, a Pestigor with a traditional Beastmen head. Goat headed humanoids are automatically extremely disturbing to me, but to me gives the impression of a malign intelligence to the model. He isn't a mindless husk shambling for flesh or under the control of a Plaguecaster, he's a thinking creature.

So let's hear what you think!

Ykl0lUU.jpg

The goat head gives more of a rotten dying feel which I think is more sinister. The skull head gives off a dead/undead feel which is also disturbing but I think the goat head is more fitting because Nurgle is identified with pestilence not death. Death is often the byproduct of pestilence but the rotting/putrescence of a being would best represent Nurgle's gift.

I think the goat head will suit your theme more but I would definitely use that skull head anyway, just as a one off. Maybe he’s so rotten his face rotted off.

Well I just tried the mask idea and it didn't work so swell for me. I think the problem is you can't just have them wear it without the lower mandible, primarily due to the shape and structure of the skull / head. It seems I may go with the fleshy heads, but I do plan on giving the Leader a skull head. Almost like a tribute to Slugtongue. 

The other problem is the arms... I had intended to use Beastmen arms but they're too damn muscular. I don't want to slap Plaguebearer arms on them and call it a day, I feel it will make them simply just look like Plaguebearers with head and weapon swaps (and some green stuff fur). I tried shaving down a Beastman arm to make it appear a bit emaciated, but that didn't really work to well either. I checked out Marauder arms, they seem to be unnaturally muscular (and I'm sure Catachan suffer the same fate). I may end up just giving in and going with the PB arms, but I'd rather not. Or just walk away from this whole idea altogether. Extremely frustrated right now.

Edit: You guys gave me an idea... 

Edited by DuskRaider