DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Let's try this on for size... it'll need a little cleaning up, some more green stuff around the hair / horn line and some for the head to neck connection, but you get the gist of it. I'll probably drill out his left eye as well. I could probably smooth the GS a bit more but I wanted a ragged look were the flesh has sloughed off to reveal the skull underneath. I won't do this with all of them, but it does leave the door open for further combination.

y7LcaPrh.jpg

QS68ymah.jpg

RddnnIBh.jpg

First of all: Whoa, that is quite a collection you have got there! Massive kudos! :)

As for your pestigor problem, I remember PDH making some excellent pestigors using a very similar recipe -- maybe looking at them can help you resolve your issues with the build? There are more pictures of the models in painted and unpainted form in his Dakka thread and gallery.

Hope this helps! :)

Tzaangor upgrade pack? Gotta deal with the feathers though so maybe paint them as bone growths. Or just shave ‘em off.

Loving the demo though. Suitably creepy.

Edited by Corswain

Thank you everyone!

It's nigh impossible to find Beastmen bits anymore, much of the range has been discontinued it seems. I had to settle for a half-used Gor kit where I really would have preferred the more armoured Bestigor heads. As far as the arms go, I'm just going to use the Plaguebearer bits but greenstuff some fur on. As of now the gaps in the head where the horns meet has been filled and I've begun adding fur to it in patches, like the creature has mange.

@Kraut: those are awesome! That's the vision I have in my head, it's good to see someone was actually able to do it... probably better than I will, might I add. I see he also used the same model I had planned for my Minotaur which makes me think PDH is a time travelling mind reader. Unfortunately, I'll probably be using the base model's head as well since I can't find an ungulate skull large enough.

I had contemplated attempting to graft the hooves onto the model as well, but the size difference is just too much and presents issues with how the leg mechanics function.

Thank you everyone!

It's nigh impossible to find Beastmen bits anymore, much of the range has been discontinued it seems. I had to settle for a half-used Gor kit where I really would have preferred the more armoured Bestigor heads. As far as the arms go, I'm just going to use the Plaguebearer bits but greenstuff some fur on. As of now the gaps in the head where the horns meet has been filled and I've begun adding fur to it in patches, like the creature has mange.

@Kraut: those are awesome! That's the vision I have in my head, it's good to see someone was actually able to do it... probably better than I will, might I add. I see he also used the same model I had planned for my Minotaur which makes me think PDH is a time travelling mind reader. Unfortunately, I'll probably be using the base model's head as well since I can't find an ungulate skull large enough.

I had contemplated attempting to graft the hooves onto the model as well, but the size difference is just too much and presents issues with how the leg mechanics function.

Regarding the arms, maybe Marauder Horsemen arms could provide a way out? They are quite a bit less massive than the regular Marauders' arms, and they are still more readily available, I think?!

As for the minotaur head, wait, are you referring to PDH's model that uses the Nurglite herald as a base? Because that animal skull head is also available via the new skulls kit. In fact, I'd happily send it over to you, because I really, really don't like it. Or were you talking about a different model?

No, the Plague Ogryn appears to be a Minotaur of some sort. I looked through his gallery. I intend to use mine to make a Nurgle Minotaur (Plagueotar? Nurgltaur? Pestitaur?) and hopefully run it as a Beast of Nurgle if allowed. Otherwise the good news is that most of this will happily port over to INQ28. I do have the Poxbringer model... actually two since I traded my Khorne Daemons (particularly my FW Bloodthirster) for two Start Collecting boxes. I was going to make a Pestigor Shaman, but unfortunately I doubt very much that HQs of any type will be allowed in Kill Team. Edited by DuskRaider

I know, I was saying I had intended to make a Nurgle Minotaur using mine. I've had them lying around for years with nothing to do with them so this gives me an excuse. As I said though, I was hoping to give him a more bovine head. I may look into Mierce Minis line as well, you can order bits from them.

Maybe, I think I have some of those lying around. I also had the idea of doing something similar to what i did with the Pestigor above but using the Plague Ogryn head and maybe one of the larger skulls in the Citadel Skulls kit. I think I have a bovine skull from some old kit (may have been Fantasy Orcs or Chaos), I had it attached to one of my Renegade Hellhounds a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up and have a look.

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks bud! I'm a little embarrassed posting him in the condition he's in but I think it's more the camera than anything. That and there's some plastic dust on the green stuff from having to file down the back of the head to properly mate to the neck / body. Rest assured it looks much smoother IRL. 

I'm ordered up this head from Mierce Miniatures, from their Demon Prince of Plagues. I'm hoping it's similar size and will work on the Plague Orgyn, which is a large model as-is and close to Daemon Prince size. That it's simply a skull should also make it a little easier size wise, but we'll see I suppose. 

Thanks Auggy but I think I'm good. Ungor won't do me too much good, I'm going full Gor with these guys. I have a ton of bits arriving for these guys and my "Cultists" relatively soon. I'm pretty excited about those guys, I hope they come out as good as I imagine them. 

Well I'm a little late with this, but the next batch of Plaguebearers are completed. This... this was a chore and I'm starting to think that maybe attempting to paint 40+ models at a time is a bad idea. Thankfully I only have 20 left after this... plus Nurglings... plus Plague Drones... crap.

Nevertheless, I'm happy with the end result and in particular the Heralds. I like how the modification to the Spoilpox Scrivener turned out and I hope I made the Piper look at least a little more sinister than GW did.

Not much else to say so enjoy!

MlO7j17.jpg

7S0kHJx.jpg

DajY3Ln.jpg

2KAuMCp.jpg

EhsUp0A.jpg

rmDnnUf.jpg

4Myg9SV.jpg

xbsiQx8.jpg

XiY3aoK.jpg

QShisHO.jpg

HFWJTMP.jpg

3BmfFsD.jpg

S24zSdw.jpg

O7WHrJV.jpg

Well 40 at a time is a bit much, wouldn't you agree?  :)  Still, you made them look very good indeed - and distinct enough from your poxwalkers, which is an accomplishment in itself. The heralds look great too. Well done, mate! Keep it up! :) :tu:

Thanks Auggy, much appreciated. Since these guys were so pale I went with a more yellow boil in them as well in most places with some diluted Nurgle's Rot at the end, a little more variation.

I'm simultaneously working on more Tyranids while also putzing around with my Pestigors at the moment... impatiently awaiting my bits haul from Victoria Miniatures and Anvil Industry. Hopefully soon I'll hit the last 20 Plaguebearers with primer and finish them up. I do look forward to painting the Rot Flies.

While I wouldn't condone burning out trying to make progress, I can completely respect the attitude to just get it done when you know you've got a huge block of models to grind through. Great work, you're going to feel so relieved and satisfied when you're finally done.

From the last two comment I realized I may have misinterpreted your plauebearer comment. If you're feeling bummed by the hobby, lemme add this; there's no-one but you who is in a position to say to you that stuff has to get done. Take your time! It's not like there's someone waiting for it, needing it. You have plenty stuff painted to play a good game with. Another option is to take that break, or work on something else. The juices flow when they flow, ot because you want them to. Be kind to yourself - this hobby is supposed to relax you and for you to have fun with. :) And we're not here waiting for your next update, impatiently tapping our fingers until it's finally here;  - we're here to encourage you in your enjoyment of the hobby! :D