DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Thanks a lot guys! I am a bit burnt out at the moment, but at the same time I'm trying to actually finish an army for once, something I've never done. I usually lose interest and motivation or start something else, so if anything I'm setting goals for myself. I probably should have broken that horde down in smaller batches, but now I only have 20 to do which seems like nothing in comparison, haha.

I've also got the Tyranid commission for my friend I've been doing for a while and I'm almost done with that as well, so I'm pushing myself for that. Once that's done I may take a little break until Kill Team is properly released. We'll see. It's difficult going without painting something since I work nights and most times there's not much to do.

Oh... and I have a friend who may want me to paint his Space Sharks. And I have a bunch of Ad Mech stuff to paint for my son. So... no rest for the wicked.

And bases... I have to finish the bases for my Death Guard and then figure out what I need for my Daemons. I won't order anything until Dragonforge releases the 130mm trench bases for my Great Unclean Ones.

This is also why I'm apprehensive about starting my Orks again. I don't know if I can give them the attention they deserve because I'm not sure I can handle another horde army. After all of my current projects are done I may just concentrate on small games like Kill Team, Necromunda and INQ28. It gives me the chance to personalize each model more as well, something I enjoy immensely. I still don't know if I'll ever finish my Poxwalkers.

Edited by DuskRaider

This is also why I'm apprehensive about starting my Orks again. I don't know if I can give them the attention they deserve because I'm not sure I can handle another horde army. After all of my current projects are done I may just concentrate on small games like Kill Team, Necromunda and INQ28. It gives me the chance to personalize each model more as well, something I enjoy immensely. I still don't know if I'll ever finish my Poxwalkers.

This. Don't start the Orks for now. Just finish the Tyrannid commission and do some work on your DG when you feel like it. The motivation for the DG will probably return after finishing the Tyrannids. Reward yourself for finishing your commission with allowing yourself to do only INQ28 or Necromunda or Kill Team - all manageable, relatively short projects with high reward per miniature finished. If you start the poxwalkers, give them your flesh recipe and just a simple, monohue scheme (so base, wash, drybrush in the same colour tone) for the clothes. :tu:

I'll probably paint up the Orks I have currently and then either put them aside or figure out at that point what I want to do.

I do have some work to show for my Kill Team project. The Pestigor I showed earlier with the half-rotted head is finished (at least I think he is) and has become the Banner Bearer.

L0kjjOv.jpg

34iDDjV.jpg

lwQyTgw.jpg

4YAU1rU.jpg

But he's not alone. I've also finished up a regular Gor to accompany him. With this one I have attempted (key word here is attempted) to make it appear as though his lower jaw has rotted off and his tongue is just kind of hanging there with flaps of putrid flesh kinda just... flapping in the breeze on either side of his face. He also has his left arm amputated from just below the elbow down. I felt it would make him more individual and give him an asymmetric silhouette. Post photography I felt like perhaps this guy's fur was a bit too coarse so I went back with a scalpel to make it look more fine. Also, it may be the lighting but there's a smooth transition from plastic to green stuff that for some reason doesn't show...

pG60cgJ.jpg

Zg9WRzP.jpg

iBkRbN7.jpg

PbigX05.jpg

Last, a preview of the next Pestigor...

bUucVnN.jpg

I would love some opinions on these, please let me know what you think!

Thanks Trixie! Unfortunately on Pestigor #2 I feel the green stuff may be too messy. It looks decent to the naked eye but in the photos it looks like garbage. At least in my opinion. I may scrape it off and try again. I'll also have to sand it down a bit on his left "stump", it seems. I don't know... I try not to use green stuff for the most part, I'm not the greatest with it.

I for one think you're doing great with the greenstuff. The second guy's jaw looks great and yeah sure the fur could use some more work, you should give yourself more credit! Keep it up!

Is that popping eye a glass micro bead?

Yeah, I'm going to try and do a bit more work on #2's fur. The Banner Bearer turned out pretty good, I don't know if it's the mix I made for the GS or what but it was hardening way too quick. And yep, that's a micro-bead. Told you that you convinced me to pick some up!

You should totally paint at least one of the greenstuffed beasts up before deciding to purge it. Myself and many of my friends often find we hate our own models at every stage until they are actually complete. Also if you think your greenstuff work isn't your strongest skill, you can only level it up by doing it more often !

Yeah, I may try to change up the mix a bit in my green stuff next time. I'll see if I can make it work on #2. The Banner Bearer turned out really well for my skill set, I feel. It all comes down to how much free time I have to play with it. As it is, most of my painting is done at work (I work the night shift).

I'm loving the Pestigors, I think the roughish greenstuff work fits with them.  My only suggestion is to think about whether it's hair or putrid flesh and then make it a little more characteristic.  Strands for hair and flappy skin sections for skin.

Thanks Chazz... The only place I'm really doing flesh is on the faces and that's to roughen up where there are wounds or the flesh is falling off of the skull / bone. The bodies themselves have enough rot. In fact, I'm probably going to go back and fill in the stomach mouth. It just doesn't represent what I want in these models. Less daemonic and more afflicted is the name of the game for this. I'm also contemplating some bionics here and there, but I'm unsure. Part of me wants to make them a bit primitive while another voice in mi cabeza says to throw some tech flair in there, even if it's superficial. 

My Victoria Miniature order came in today and I was finally able to test my vision for my "Cultists". Below is a teaser and by no means the final product... the legs are only temporary and will be replaced with something much better, I assure you. There's something different about these guys that's hidden, but perhaps those with a keen eye will be able to spot it. I've built about 12 already and I'm prepping for more. I dub thee: The Afflicted.

rFz7v5Mh.jpg

Yeah... it's FW, after all. I'm not done with them yet, I still have extra armour to add, some gaps to fill and some equipment to add to their person. I'm also making some more to add to this as well as some Plague Zombies (Poxwalkers). I'll heat the guns up and straighten them out.

Thanks! I probably should have done more of a write up on these but I thought I'd try to be more mysterious. 

Anyhow, I might as well explain these a bit. This war band is the remains of an Astra Militarum platoon that was abandoned during a planetary defense campaign against Death Guard. They were "cursed" with a particularly potent disease that they are slowly succumbing to and have resorted to mercenary employment as well as raiding to not only survive but to attempt to find a cure. The disease inures them to pain and allows them to endure what would be fatal injury, but the flip side is they're slowly rotting away while still alive. This would be bad enough, but even in death (whether succumbing to their disease or the body is just too damaged) they find no respite and are reanimated as Shamblers... Plague Zombies. The living members keep their deceased and now undead battle brothers around, both as a reminder and a weapon to be used against any potential enemies.

Modeling wise, these guys are a mix of a little but of everything... as I had mentioned previously, the torsos are Forge World Renegade Militia and the Gas Masks are Victoria Miniatures. The heads are actually Anvil Industry Zombie Heads (I went with Civilian because I wanted more flesh showing). Weapons and arms are a mixture of FW Renegade Militia Weapon Arms, Anvil Industry Zombie Arms (both Civilian  and Trench), Trench Shotgun, an MG-42 as a Heavy Stubber (soon to be two most likely), and one or two Combat Shotguns thrown in for variety. I also picked up some Flak Groin & Thigh that need to be added as well as some gap filling here and there. The legs are a mix of Long  Trenchcoat and Short Trenchcoat sets from Anvil Industry. 

I'll be making my own Plague Zombies (counts-as Poxwalkers) or "Shamblers" as The Afflicted call them, using most of the parts above sans perhaps the gas masks (the dead don't need them) and the weapons. They'll be unarmed (both weapon-wise and literally in a couple cases) and I'll most likely have some guts spilling out here and there... maybe a couple unique ones like some pack mule Shamblers or whatnot, we'll see. 

Now where does this leave my Pestigor... I'm not sure. I may yet tie them into this with a central character or they'll be another war band (or just relegated to INQ28 as literally Nurgle Beastmen). We'll see but I am definitely still working on them. 

Work on my Nurgle models has been slow, unfortunately. I've been continuing the Tyranid commission and with two of my three kids in baseball, running around 4 days a week to practices, working nights and getting no sleep I'm worn out. I have, however, got some things done to talk about.

First thing's first... I now have 20 fully assembled Cultists. I didn't bother taking pics of the final 5, I'll show them all soon enough. I've started assembling the upper torsos of the Plague Zombies as well and once my next Anvil Industry order arrives I'll begin finishing them to show everyone. IMO they're what Plague Zombies should be, not the over-the-top Poxwalker models.

Don't think I've forgotten about my Beastmen. I'll admit they've taken a back seat to my Cultists but they're still definitely on the list and to prove it, tonight's (this morning? I can't even tell anymore) update.

First is a character that will (most likely) tie it all together. He's not very far along and I have plans for him but I'm working on him as time allows. It doesn't help that I don't know how I can arm him since GW is taking forever to release the damn Kill Team rules. Hell, he may not even be able to be fielded alone... in that case he'll be relegated to INQ28 only (and maybe Necromunda for scenarios). I'm still obviously learning how to use green stuff, so bear with me on these. 

XBAaqh6h.jpg

Next is the big guy for the Beastmen, the Nurgle Minotaur. The Mierce Mini head arrived and yeah... it was too big. HOWEVER, I was still able to use it as you'll see below. It took a lot of trimming and aligning with the Plague Ogryn head but I'm pleased with the end product of that little project. I was unsure how I would arm this guy but in the end I figured I'd go as a giant beatstick. I figure he doesn't need hands to operate anything or presumably even eat (although there's a chance he may have a desire for living flesh). As such, his limbs are a grafted "bionic" which seems more like a piece of construction machinery and a long, bony uhh... arm. I'm not even sure how to properly describe that thing. 

The Minotaur stands out a bit from the existing Pestigors, both in stature (he's immense) and that he has tech on his person whereas the others up to this point are very primitive. Granted, even his tech would probably be considered primitive in the setting, but it's given me the idea to use some bionics and whatnot with some future Pestigors so as to cement their place in the 41st millennium. 

I've begun sculpting hair on him in various places. He has a  short mane-like patch of fur going from the back of his head to down the right side and a little down his back as well as on his left shoulder and a few other places. I'll probably add a little more, but this guy is so mutated and rotting that I'm not sure he'd have too much. I'll also be adding some more connective tissue to the "bionic" to make it look more integrated. 

Let me know what you think!!

PSdMznkh.jpg

iH1rlJ0h.jpg

wcphhBBh.jpg

WwCxEFeh.jpg

mSQBZZlh.jpg