DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, have I been productive. 

I finished ALL of the AT bases, coated them all in Astrogranite, primed all of them along with all of the Titans and Knights, and even started painting a Reaver. I've also splurged and picked up some Forumware Cataphractii and Mk. III Marines on eBay (Cataphractii were relatively cheap, Marines... not so much). So now I'm probably going to rip the Epic Marines off of the bases and replace them with the much nicer (and multiposed) custom ones. Woot! 

With this, I will be starting a new thread. I'm unsure if it'll be here in the WIP forum or over in the Adeptus Titanicus subforum for Other Games. There's obviously a huge disconnect between my projects here and Titanicus (although there are more than a few things linking them to one another). 

On the Reaver... I was so excited to try out  a scheme for my Legio Mortis that I did the whole thing completely backassward and started painting the armour plating before I based the frame / weapons in Leadelcher. Oops! I've finished the plating and now I'm trying to carefully go about getting all of the Leadbelcher on without ruining the work I've put into it thus far... mainly on the upper torso, feet and weapons since the rest is not attached to the frame until completion. I was also able to get my friend motivated into priming and starting his Fureans with me Friday night as well as talk another one into starting to assemble his haul (he's got everything but still it sits in boxes). 

Surprisingly Friend #2 is also going to run a Traitor Legio which means at this point I know of no Loyalist Legio players. It's usually the complete opposite in my area... chock full o' Loyalists... including the two aforementioned friends. He's considering Legio Mortis as well but with Krytos and Vulpa's transfers being revealed over the weekend we'll see if he chooses something else. They look great!

Still no update on the Nurglings. I've set them off to the side ALMOST complete and will eventually get around to finishing them. Fret not, this thread isn't going to die either as I still have to finish the two Armigers and start my Castellan as well as base everything.

Oof... I've got some base ideas down and I have the overall theme I want but as of right now I'm still unsure how I'm going to pull it all together and exactly how I'm going to do it.

The theme is basically a walking shrine to Nurgle.

Thanks guys! I still have to add transfers and some weathering pigments to the feet before it's officially done, but I'm happy with how the scheme scaled down. I'm not sure if the highlights to the red and black show too well in the pictures but they're there. The black is similar to my Death Guard, but I skipped the final highlight to ensure it doesn't venture into grey / blue territory.

I actually screwed up a bit with the heat staining and adding the Seraphim Sepia before the Druchii Violet dried completely.

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks bub! I reckon you're right on the transfers, I picked up the ultra detailed ones to add some more oomph to the models... It's just a shame they come with House Malinax on the sheet instead of Makabius. It doesn't really make much sense aside from Prospero either, Malinax was usually marching to war aside one of Xana's own Titan Legios. Ah well...

Alright folks, I've created a separate thread dedicated to Adeptus Titanicus over in the subforum HERE. This way I don't clutter my 40K thread with AT posts, which just a heads up I will be updating later today with a finished Cerastus Lancer to make sure to check it out this afternoon / tonight. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, there. I found this thread around the time I first got into 40k (I was buying into GW's relatively recent Primaris/DG army packs and currently have about 1000 points of each) and you inspired me to do a Pre-Heresy color scheme myself. Not exactly what you did (closer to canon pre-heresy) but I'd have probably gone with boring, dingy green if it weren't for you. Your paint work is impressive and I hope to see more of your work.

It makes me happy to hear I've inspired someone, I really hope to see your work!

I've got a thread going in the Titanicus forum now, I've really fallen into that. Once I'm done with my stuff (which may take a while, I still have buildings to assemble to an entire Titanicus Realm of Battle board to paint) I'll be going back to my House Makabius Knights and maybe some more Death Guard stuff. I still have a dream of 14 man squads.

• 3 weeks later...

@Kurama: thank you, brother. It has been quite the journey and it's hard to believe that this thread is quickly approaching 2 years old.

This next project is a little deviation from the norm. I say little and I'm really hoping I stick to that but Nurgle knows once I start something I go big. Thankfully this one is a little more self-limiting as far as the theme.

We were betrayed that day on Maeleum. Not by the whoresons of the Phoenician, we knew them to be degenerate and duplicitous. No, it was when our father's lifeless form was returned to us only to be reduced to ash.

The stories say the Despoiler returned father's body to us with an offer, but it wasn't an offer. It was an ultimatum. Foresake our genefather, cast off his viridian and don the black in the name of Ezekyle Abaddon. Those who refused were cut down. The Legionnaires in black hunted us through the corridors we built, many of them our own kin. We were betrayed.

But we survive. We thrive. We refuse to hide from our past. We are the Sons... the true Sons of Horus, and vengeance will be ours for we have returned.

Well here we go. I feel at this point I've made enough progress to reveal what I've been working on recently since finishing up my Titanicus models (if you get a chance, please check them out).

Originally I was going to paint up a small Black Legion force for Kill Team or something, but I had always been interested in the idea of warbands of the XVIth still operating as they had when they fought by the Warmaster's side. Funny enough, just such warbands were actually covered to a small extent in the Black Legion expansion book in 6th(?) Edition, one of them being the True Sons.

Oddly, I've not been able to find any examples of someone attempting these guys. I find it especially puzzling since for all intents these would be the Sons of Horus later in the Heresy as well when the Legion had really started to get mixed up with the Dark Gods.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. The idea itself is kind of self-limiting in that there most likely wouldn't be many Legionnaires of the XVIth still putting around since the Despoiler actively hunted them for some time post-Maeleum. With that in mind, some options such as Obliterators, Venomcrawlers, etc. as well as most vehicles are kind of out of the question.

I have a box of the new Chaos Marines on the way along with Abaddon himself, which while I do not intend to field him I REALLY want to paint him. The models below are from the Shadowspear box and I'm also painting some Traitor Guardsmen from the Blackstone Fortress box to use as what remains of the Cthonian population living within what ships the True Sons still have. I will be getting the Havocs and Terminators as well, they're just too nice to resist.

These are obviously still very much a work in progress. I'm working on the trim currently, after which I'll be moving on to the details. I've also included pictures of what they were originally going to be colored. At first they were much darker, but I feared they were entering Dark Angels territory so I lightened them up with a VERY light brushing of Vallejo Pale Sea Grey.

As always, let me know what you think.

huvlWup.jpg

hU8xDqG.jpg

42HXeLw.jpg