DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Thanks Dosjetka, and sure! I actually borrowed some from a YouTube video I found... it's in German and I speak Deutsche as well as I speak Swahili (note: none at all), so I grabbed the paints used and kind of did my own thing.

Prime Corax White

Base Vallejo Light Blue Green (70972)

Wash with undiluted Coelia Greenshade

Drybrush Vallejo Light Sea Grey (70973)

Wash with undiluted Coelia Greenshade again

Wash with highly diluted Agrax Earthshade

At this point I was going to stop and move on but it seemed a little too dark to me, so I went back and did a very very light drybrush of Light Sea Grey, only really hitting the raised areas.

Nice work on the XVIth!  They are some very nice models.  I bought Shadowspear for the Marines and sold the Chaos bits, but I'm regretting it already :(

I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like, I've got a feeling that a matt varnish will help flatten a bit of the shine on the washing also and bring the armour together a bit.  Are you planning on weathering them at all?

Thanks guys!

@Chazz: the trim hasn't been washed yet, I've still got two Marines to do. The white glossy-ish parts still haven't been painted, I'll probably do the flesh next.

Yeah, they're turning out alright. I posted the recipe up a bit in response to the good Chaplain. I did start chipping and roughing the armor a bit, the models look a little off to me. I think it's because they're these bad guys but they're wearing a seafoam green scheme. A bit odd, really.

Abaddon is definitely being painted in Black Legion livery, haha. Even if I wanted to paint him in Pre-Heresy scheme he'd still be the same. Maybe I'll do his pauldrons red or something.

That brings me to another conundrum... Reavers. I picked up 10x Reaver heads on a bits site, I intend on making counts-as Berserkers. Traditionally, Reavers wear black plate. I'm not sure if I should do that because obviously I'm trying to differentiate these from Black Legion, but in reality Black Legion is really all just in the scheme of XVIth First Company.

Edit: *sigh*...

... the more I do these, the less I like them. I really think it's the color scheme. I'll try to reserve judgement until they're finished but as of now I'm thinking of finishing these and switching to Black Legion (or Black Legion using 1st Company scheme).

Edited by DuskRaider

A little bit of a written update (no pics, sorry). The Sons are coming along and I'm onto the little details. I've made the decision that the rest of the models will be Black Legion. I'm not really happy with the result thus far and I'd like to eventually expand which would be difficult with such a small warband like the True Sons. These guys will work in Kill Team or something.

I'd like to expand out to Black Legion Plague Marines and Rubricae eventually. I've wanted to do Plague Marines in black armor for a while now so this would be a good time to do it. I finished assembling Abaddon too and the model is so nice I just need to use it eventually.

Pretty sweet project! I think they’ll make for an awesome kill team and even an army if you do chose. Post-Maleum I’m sure any surviving element of the XVI would have a decent arsenal. Some left over tanks and daemon engines along with many secondborn marines who desperately sold their flesh & soul for any power they could barter for. I’m working on a mixed Heralds of Ruin SoH kill team with luperci and unchanged marines so I’m looking forward to updates on your team.

I am also looking forward to seeing some Black Legion cult Tripp’s. Mine have been siting, most of them primed, in an army transport. So I’ll be taking some notes when you post your progress.

Yeah, I'm keeping them mostly XVIth influenced but wearing Black Legion scheme. I may do the red pauldrons like 1st Company, however. It compliments the black and gold and also pops on the otherwise dark coloration.

I'm still planning on going forward with the Reavers. Even if GW releases new Berserkers eventually, they'll still go well with army, although in hindsight if I knew I was going to play Black Legion I probably would have picked up the 30K World Eaters Veteran heads instead. Most of the Troops will be former XVIth, obviously with the exception of Rubricae if I so choose to use them (and even then they'd still be clad in black).

The black armor and red pauldron of the reavers would look ace. Add some SoH gang/lodge glyphs and bam! I think reavers also has green pauldrons too but I can’t remember the difference.

At this point I'm abandoning the Sons of Horus scheme in favor of Black Legion, but I am adding red accents like pauldrons to Champions. I'm also mimicking Abaddon's 30K scheme on the new model somewhat... I was tempted to make the Talon of Horus red like Abaddon's Power Fist, but at the last minute I went with black since it's Horus' weapon.

I'm also contemplating making my Reavers Chosen instead of Berserkers. Also, just to let everyone know, the Dark Vengeance Marines are similar in size to the new CSM. Some seem just a wee bit smaller, but not too noticeable. I'm going to use the Maul wielding Chosen as my Dark Apostle and if anything put him on some cork to slightly elevate him.

• 3 weeks later...
Ha! I really was tempted to do it. To be honest, I walked away from these for now. I just lost all motivation to do Black Legion or anything 40K right now, so I'm back to Titanicus. Especially with Molech coming out this weekend, I needed to pump out more Knights... one of which is actually a familiar face (kinda).

• 4 weeks later...

The forges of Volgan glow with malicious intent. Portends of Doom have been cast across the Immaterium. Pskyers hoarsely howl and chew on their tongues. The same message has been heard from all: MAKABIUS RETURNS

This past weekend has brought glorious news and with it renewed motivation. I have picked up my tools and started working on my House Makabius again. Expect some foetid new additions to the decaying House of Baroda soon.