DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

OH DR what have you done :woot: that is simply an epic example of bio-mechanical killing machine that papa nurgle will deliver you a blessing in person !! lol 

on a serious note thought that is a jaw dropping conversion thus far and i look forward to seeing how it comes on!

I live to bring greatness to my Plague Lord and in return he constantly reminds me that my mortal shell is soft and weak and shall someday rot and return to the earth. What a guy!

You'll be happy to know that the green stuff work on the body and Incinterator are complete. I'm currently working on the cables running from the gun to the body and boy... this part will be difficult.

My plan is to let them cure and then use a scalpel to cut them in half. They're already glued to the gun but not the body. I'm hoping this works because I have to transport it to and from work for painting purposes and cannot leave it assembled (not to mention how hard it would be to paint). The worst part is there will probably be a decent amount of them, as I'll probably run cabling from where the tanks are (or were) as well as the cables running throughout the flesh of the gun itself.

The good news is that the Harpoon will be a lot more straight forward. At one point I was driving myself crazy trying to think of a way to make the Harpoon itself mutated and fleshy, but I may just leave it as-is. What I do plan on attempting is making the Missiles that would otherwise be on the carapace underslung on the Harpoon instead, mainly because there's no way to add them to the carapace and it's busy enough as it is.

Your work is awesome - very inspired and inspiring.

Wouldn't it make sense given your circumstances to paint the whole model and then do the cabling?  Least chance of breaking them or having them get in the way while you work.

While I think its a good idea to try the missiles on the side of the harpoon, that may end up looking too heavy.  If that doesn't work, there might be room on the sides of the shoulder pads (so, outwards and below the top mounted guns.

Nah, I've already made the cabling and glued the weapon arm in the desired position. I'm hoping I can simply remove the arm with the cabling in tact and just leave it as is.

Looking at the Harpoon, I'm probably not going to be able to mount the Missiles underslung so I will probably just skip them entirely. The carapace is busy as it is, I don't want to add more to it.

The detailing on the new Knight is looking fantastic already, as per. If I may just be a party pooper for a minute here, though, am I the only one to think the model's stance looks really, really off -- like, there's no way the machine would actually stay upright with its legs so close together and its stance so pidgeon-toed. Or am I just seeing things?

Apart from that, fantastic job so far! As always, this should be a treat! :)

Hmmm... you may be right. The Dominus legs are deceiving, they look like they'd be fully posable but they're really not, especially with the angle of the ankles. I could probably widen the stance a bit on the left leg, make it going out a bit.

The funny thing is, I have no idea what I'll even have him standing on. I had thought of hacking up a Rhino, but it would take up too much space on the base. The mausoleum he's standing on works for holding him up but it makes no sense thematically. I may have a dig through my Sector Mechanicus terrain and grab some piping or something... this always seems to be a problem, I bull through every without a real plan :D

Edited by DuskRaider

Great to see you working on another Chaos Knight Dusk. It’s looking awesome.

If you like the rhino idea and want it to be smaller you could have the rhino partially buried. Do an angled straight cut on the rhino so it has less of a foot print.

I’ve missed tons of amazing stuff on your thread. Great to catch up on it.

I usually do my updates on Sundays, but considering my day is full tomorrow I thought I'd do it today instead.

W8V765v.jpg

0oqi6KZ.jpg

qs502Oq.jpg

CdcjW7P.jpg

XT63wIw.jpg

It's been a productive week with this beast. While it may not seem like too much when looking at the overall image, it involved a lot of green stuff work. The body has extensive work done to it (the gut region and beyond). The Incinterator is pretty much done. I thought I had completed it before, but last night I came up with the idea of... I don't know what they are, vents? Hives? On either side of the gun with swarms spilling out.

xvZK8WD.jpg

While I was at it, I added another mouth to the bottom of the gun and bulked it up overall, filling it out a bit. I do admit, the mouth has a "dentata" Slaaneshi feel to it, heh.

zgMatJu.jpg

lbqVdeH.jpg

I've also done work to the Harpoon arm. The spear itself is finished and I'm actually pretty happy with the results. It wouldn't look right in it's stock form but I couldn't really come up with a fully organic solution, so this was my compromise. It consists of a Bloat Drone Rotor Spike and claws from Plague Drones as the "anchors". The result is mechanical while still feeling Nurgle.

I still have to score the armour plating for the shoulders and legs. Which reminds me, I have widened the stance a bit. I don't know if I'll do too much work with the lower half, maybe some hanging cables or something but no mutation.

vVZBTmc.jpg

One more thing... I got a goodie from a buddy of mine last night. Looking forward to this!

Thanks guys!

@Duderino: I've had a lot of fun with this so far, it'll probably be the centerpiece of my army unless I one day get something bigger... but I doubt it.

@Ranulf: the head is from Forge World. They had an entire line of Knight heads that are now OOP (bunch of jerks). All of my Knights have one and I wish I could grab more but they're not very common.

Mid-week update because, well... this is pretty significant.

With the armour plating all properly distressed and corrupted, the Tyrant is now ready for priming and paint.

I snipped the plastic hoses off the back of the Knight and replaced them with longer, more chaotic and jumbled ones using green stuff. My main goal is to have a balance of mutations and dark technology on this piece, sort of like an amalgamation of the themes on the other Knights.

Na3QGMx.jpg

zXJO2cv.jpg

uO0rPEe.jpg

rsv5JYs.jpg

I'm not sure when I'll be able to spray this sucker, we've got severe thunderstorms coming through for the next couple days. I'm eager to start this!

Thanks everyone!

I hope the storms clear up too, it's muggy as heck here and it keeps delaying my baseball games, lol.

@Zeph: Lady is a little unhinged but that's why we love her, lol

I definitely have to get this guy sprayed, time is running out and I still have the twins to do.

I am glad you have shown us a version with the leg armour tacked on, because the stance is less problematic when seen as a whole. I still think you could tweak it a bit more, but I realise that this is easier said than done on a massive and expensive model like this, so it's all good.

Your detailing and conversion of the Knight's carapace, on the other hand, is once again spectacular! Absolutely on par with, if not better than, the rest of your fantastic custom Knights. One small thing, though: It seems like there's the mother of all moldlines running down the side of that bell mount. Just sayin'... ;)

Thanks bud! And I know, I've filed it down and it just doesn't seem to go away. I was in such a hurry to see what it looked like on the model that I didn't notice until it was attached... ugh. I think I need new files, as well.

I'm happy to report that I've successfully primed the model. I was able to rush out between downpours and get it done, unfortunately I ran out of Corax White midway so I had to use some Krylon to finish it off. You won't notice once it's painted anyhow, but still...

Thanks bud! And I know, I've filed it down and it just doesn't seem to go away. I was in such a hurry to see what it looked like on the model that I didn't notice until it was attached... ugh. I think I need new files, as well.

I'm happy to report that I've successfully primed the model. I was able to rush out between downpours and get it done, unfortunately I ran out of Corax White midway so I had to use some Krylon to finish it off. You won't notice once it's painted anyhow, but still...

Were you filing in two directions or just one? Files last longer if you only file in one direction. Source: have grandfather who works with tools, including files, a lot

Two. I just go at it like crazy. I was also planning on taking the Dremel to it to make it look decayed and whatnot but I kind of ran out of time and motivation after doing the rest of the model. That and using the Dremel on the carapace started to shake things loose a bit, like some skulls.

Two. I just go at it like crazy. I was also planning on taking the Dremel to it to make it look decayed and whatnot but I kind of ran out of time and motivation after doing the rest of the model. That and using the Dremel on the carapace started to shake things loose a bit, like some skulls.

Tsk tsk, that's why your file sucks. Any given file is, in fact, intended to go one direction, not two.