DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Thanks guys! Orks will always have a place in my heart, unfortunately I get the shakes just thinking about painting a full Ork army.

So now that I have some more time to talk about the Series 3 Plague Marines...

First of all, I tip my cap to GW for being bold enough to dedicate an entire series of Space Marine Heroes to Chaos. I suppose making Death Guard one of the starter armies for 8th made the decision easier, but my statement still stands. The models are nice, for the most part. Having the option to build each without a helmet and thus giving them more of an aura of character is particularly appreciated, even if only half of them are serviceable in my opinion.

And speaking of which, each model actually does feel like a character. They each seem to have their own personality to an extent and it makes it easier to integrate or even create a Kill Team with these guys. While perhaps the weapon options aren't the greatest when considering a Kill Team, I think the individuality of each model goes a long way to ignoring that.

However, they are not without their flaws. GW / Max Factory could have chosen a more subtle decay to these characters but instead went a bit extreme in some cases, pushing the design of the GW box set Plague Marines over the edge. Comically massive horns are a prime example of this design philosophy, one which misses more than hits. Yes, the helmetless heads are unique to each model, that doesn't make them good. The Banner Bearer, for example, includes a ridiculous lamprey-leech face which while quite unique ultimately falls flat. Others are too generic, like the Champion for example. His bare head looks almost exactly like the option from the Plague Marine box set.

Others' helmeted options are generic Death Guard. They're boring. One of the worst design ideas, however, was the choice to include Nurglings everywhere. Mind you, some actually look creepy but for the most part they're just goofy and dumb Nurglings.

They come with scenic bases, which is a double edged sword. It's nice not to worry about basing these models, but now you're limited to a muddy trudging base.

Overall I'm pleased with these. I probably could have remedied most of my issues with a trust scalpel and ye olde bits box, but I didn't want to mess with these too much considering how long if took to get my claws on these and the purchase price in the first place.

I received the Sorcerer yesterday so I'll prime him soon and begin painting him to join the rest of his buds.

They're looking awesome though. Your paint job brings out the best of what I consider mediocre sculpts at best. I agree with your assessment above - boring heads, goofy Nurglings, and a leitmotif pushed just too far in some places. I don't know - I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about them 'feels' different than the GW range. 

Anyway, spectacular painting. Makes me want to pick up a set myself. 

Thanks Brother, I appreciate it.

And I know what you mean. I was hoping for something more... I don't know, heroic? Villainous? More serious? I don't know. I used what I deemed the most interesting heads I could in the line and in the case of Ye Olde Grenade Chucker, I used the helmeted option from Bolter Guy (I believe) to make him look better. I do enjoy the cyclopean helms provided with both these and other Death Guard models.

Oh, and I decided to post up the 360 images of the Death Guard on Imgur anyhow, so if you want to see them from every angle here you go.

https://imgur.com/a/fXgTIfu

The good news is that the Sorcerer makes up for the hit and miss of the rest because he is absolutely fantastic.

Oh, the LasLocks from Taro Modelmaker arrived. They're fantastic. I've ordered up some Dark Mechanicum Armiger kits from Legio Models and I'm contemplating getting some gnarly heads from Shapeways for them as well. Now all I really need is uhh... Armigers.

Edited by DuskRaider

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been a while hasn't it? Rest assured, I have not been idle. Mostly.

I've been assembling even more... you guessed it! Knights. It's been a lot of waiting around for parts to arrive, some of which I believe have been lost on the transit between Eastern Europe and NY unfortunately. However, even HAVE arrived that I've been able to piece together one of my next Questoris Knights (there's another one yet to be built and I'm pretty sure I've gone mad). I also have three Moirax Armigers I'm working on but did not snap photos.

This Knight is meant to be extremely old and thus kind of ramshackle and cludged together over the millennia. I've actually (hapahzardly) replaced the right upper thigh with a section of a Stompa arm to give it a look of field repair. It has an Armiger collar to represent some protection for the repaired leg and there are various struts, pistons and braces throughout the model for extra support, as though the frame's servos have lost their strength over time and the machine cannot support itself without assistance.

It's also been given petrol drums and a massive stack. The way I see it is the stock powerplant failed long ago and has been replaced with a traditional engine out of a Malcador or something.

The head is a bit of a departure from the usual Mechanicum ones I use. This is for a couple reasons: first, I had no more (I've since ordered the only two I do not have from what I believe is a recast site but I'm unsure), and I also wanted it to have a more knightly feel to it. This frame was originally a guardian of the Golden Forge before its fall to... well, whatever it fell to prior to being rediscovered. This Knight had sat heavily damaged and in disrepair for quite a while until the Scouring, when M'Pandex gifted it to Makabius.

I think I'm finished with it but if anyone has some suggestions I'm open for them!

Apologies for the poor quality photos, I'm currently at work so this is the best I can do.

BhgW8tV.jpg

1abb0Y1.jpg

L5YHoB5.jpg

XkK87aX.jpg

c9ODo5F.jpg

oAAunQk.jpg

The way you keep coming up with new and amazing conversion ideas for corrupted Knights without ever once repeating yourself truly beggars belief. The inclusion of the Alchomite Stack bit is a brilliant touch, as is the facemask erupting into a mess of teeth and spikes on one side -- please do some nasty stringly saliva effects :wink:

Brilliant work, mate! This has really become one of my favourite WIP threads over the last couple of months! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Thanks folks!

@Kraut: I like the idea of the spittle... funny thing, I almost included a long tongue hanging out as well, but I could neither find a good exit for it nor a way to keep it posted dynamically. The mouth design is inspired by Venom and I thought a tongue would top it off, but it just doesn't work.

I'm actually a little peeved I used the Alchomite Stack on this one. It definitely fits the design narrative, but after seeing it installed I REALLY want to use it for my next one... but I hate repeating ideas.

I think this guy is ready for paint. I do want to get working on the last (for now, at least) Knight soon too. Some really interesting ideas, a true Rampager and purely Dark Technology no daemonic corruption. Or at least not much.

The way you keep coming up with new and amazing conversion ideas for corrupted Knights without ever once repeating yourself truly beggars belief. 

I was going to say something like that, but Kraut did it first (and probably better than I would have). Eventually, everyone finds their "thing" in the hobby and I think these knights are your thing. In my case, it's rarely finishing anything I start. :wink:

Believe me, I'm running out of ideas.

I've run into a bit of a dilemma now... my Den of Imagination Cannons finally showed up. I intended my last Knight to be a dedicated Rampager, but now I'm tempted to make another Despoiler... I'm unsure how to do this one or if I'll eventually make yet ANOTHER Knight. I've got a really interesting plan for the next one and this kind of threw a wrench in the works. Probably a good problem to have in a way.

I know I have two dedicated CC Knights and a third may be overkill / unnecessary. The Cannons are nice because they're magnetized and can be assembled as either an Avenger Gatling Cannon or Rapid Fire Battle Cannon (although I totally screwed one up and glued a magnet in backwards so now it permanent has a Stubber). But the idea I have kinda stems on all CC. Ugh...

I also know I eventually want to do a Castellan Tyrant just to have both options. That and it would be fun to do another Tyrant using the Legio Models Dark Mechanicum kit.

Edit: after some deliberation, I've decided I'm going with another Despoiler. The Den of Imagination Cannons are too cool not to use and mysteriously I still don't have a single Rapid Fire Battle Cannon in the army.

Edited by DuskRaider

Well... I tried my damnedest to get some good mock-up photos of the next Knight but unfortunately it's so front heavy that it cannot stand on its own. I stuck to my original plan and kept it completely CC.

The idea is that the frame is stripped of most of the armour (or it's been replaced with smaller pieces to reduce weight) and areas such as the thighs and ankles have been skeletonized to further lighten the Knight. It will have a right pauldron, but I didn't bring it with me to work.

The left arm has been modified with gears and cogs to give it a more mechanical feel and would assist with further power behind Chainsword swings. As you can see it's also armed with two further close combat arms in place of the Stubber and Shield areas. One is a triple-bladed buzzsaw, the other a drill. Originally the drill was going to be a hand of some sort, but I couldn't find anything appropriate. The idea is that these can also be swapped with additional prosthetics for whatever role the frame would undertake.

The head is from the Legio Models Dark Mechanicum kit. Unfortunately, I'm out of FW Knight heads and the ones ordered from Ukraine left December 7th and haven't been tracked since so they may be lost. The head itself is interesting, but it's modeled to strictly look forward. That doesn't work for me. Using extra cloak pieces I had from my Death Guard, I created extensions on either side to make it look better and blended them with green stuff.

Back to the Chainsword, it's also been modified to an extent. I've added the engine from a Killa Kan along with a couple exhaust systems and a fuel drum from... something, I don't know. A radiator has been added from a Stompa.

The left-hand arm is topped by a Venomcrawler crest to give it something other than a bare rail and make it look more intimidating. The shin plates have been replaced by track guards from a Myphitic Blight-Hauler. They provide (limited) protection for the vulnerable ankle pistons while still reducing weight considerably. Thigh armour had been completely stripped. The left leg gap has been filled with green stuff while the right features the spiked crest from a Blight-Hauler (I didn't fill it in though).

Other than that, I've added mechadentrites from the Venomcrawler to the head area and casque from a Blight-Hauler for the neck guard and that's about it. Overall I tried to cut down on the cabling and only really added it where necessary (which still seems like a lot). Let me know what you think!

dK0Uj7L.jpg

imhQGIC.jpg

zUyPs3B.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks brother! In having a lot of fun doing this one, I've been looking forward to it for a while. I'm almost contemplating going further with the de-armoured look, but it would involve hacking up the carapace a bit and I'm not sure I want to risk ruining it. I'm also unsure if I should use the pauldron on the right-hand side or leave it bare.

I agree with the others - great work on the rampager. The shambling, hunched posture really evokes a nurgle vibe - it's also a nice twist on the bunch Imperial Knight.

I think the cabling is good, definitely wouldn't add more, the extra arms are also nice.

I'm curious to see it with the right shoulder pad on, the details look balanced now and I'm not sure if that will change with a.shoulder pad or not. From your awesome paint work I think the stripped down look will really end up amazing.

Thanks guys!

As far as the right pauldron, I think it does make it look unbalanced a bit... but that's not a bad thing in the case of Chaos Knights. It could be that the Knight leads with its Thunder Gauntlet and so would need more protection for the charge. It would make sense as it would have to gain momentum and would have a more powerful swing as well.

Originally I wasn't going to de-armour it, it just kinda happened as I kept going. I wanted cogs and gears that got concentrically smaller as they met the shoulder, but I couldn't find a large variation in sizes. The arm doesn't physically fit under a pauldron anymore, it's too large now so even if I did want to use one it's out of the question.

I feel with the right-hand side bare it feels a little too incomplete. I can try to get photos with the pauldron on tomorrow.

As far as the right pauldron, I think it does make it look unbalanced a bit... but that's not a bad thing in the case of Chaos Knights. It could be that the Knight leads with its Thunder Gauntlet and so would need more protection for the charge. It would make sense as it would have to gain momentum and would have a more powerful swing as well.

This. I was going to post the suggestion last night but forgot. Leading with a shoulder charge is described in a number of the books for marines so the image of a knight doing it is cool as hell.

Exactly! It's like leading with a shield almost, you want that additional protection to at least get you into the fray.

Speaking of said pauldron, I've finished it. I had this great idea of adding chain hanging from the trim as additional protection... it was a nightmare. I drilled holes underneath the trim thinking it would assist in holding the chain in. It didn't. It took I don't even know how long to get them to attach (and many times they fell off anyhow). I've got Zip Kicker coming on Friday, I'm going to add another small layer of glue and chemically bond the damn things. I wanted a solid multi-layer chain trim but now I'm thinking I'll just stick with what I have since it was such a nightmare. The upside is it seems they balanced the model so it stands on its own (without the Chainsword on).

I didn't get a chance to take pictures, but I'll remedy that soon. I think I'm done with it now, I don't want to overdo it.

Thanks Markus! Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit insectoid.

Well here we are... a little late on the update, but an update nonetheless. This is the complete model. No more modifications or tweaks, something I'm doing my best to stick to my guns with. Keep in mind that this is all currently held together with green stuff so he will be hunched over but maybe not this extreme (although it does look kinda cool). Apologies for the first pic being blurry, I was doing this all with one hand as this beast is incredibly front heavy.

qwFrTHe.jpg

23zFc4q.jpg

TVHk6S0.jpg

GgvgaTG.jpg

f5iRQJA.jpg