DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Such awesome stuff.

Love it when people do the whole "This is my 30k Character.... And this is him NOW!" thing and you've done it awesomely.

Really like the  Foul Blightspawn, especially the metal on his tank... How did you do that?

I love what you did with Felthius' head. I've been contemplating keeping the head, or getting rid of it. At times it looks too... comical for me. But I'm not big on conversions. I love what you did with him. (I may swap out the blade too because mine will probably be a Termie Lord since he also comes in a 40mm base.)

Great work, and a great thread!!

Thanks so much for the kind words, guys! Okay, so to answer some questions...

First, the rust recipe. When I'm doing this, remember I primed the model in Corax White. When painting it, I've made sure to avoid getting any paint on what will be the rust portions. So with that in mind, it's as follows:

1. Base the area with undiluted Typhus Corrosion... as I'm sure you know, this stuff is awesome as it's a texture paint but also great for showing wear.

2. Heavily dilute some Ryza Rust and apply to the area. Don't put it on too heavy, it will darken up as it dries and look more realistic

3. Drybrush with Leadbelcher

That's it! It's much easier than using pigments... maybe not as realistic with the results, but with these guys I'm not going for 100% realism and more vibrancy.

As far as the Lord... sigh. I wish I had more forethought in planning him out than I actually did because after I had properly glued in the original head I changed my mind and had to pull it out through the opening then try to dremel out the space to fit the new one since the glue bonded the body together. The result is a bit of a mess (not helped by the fact that Liquid Green Stuff shrinks when it dries) and while it would be easy to just excuse it as Nurgle, it bothers the hell out of me. I'm tempted to get another box and start over.

As far as the Lord... sigh. I wish I had more forethought in planning him out than I actually did because after I had properly glued in the original head I changed my mind and had to pull it out through the opening then try to dremel out the space to fit the new one since the glue bonded the body together. The result is a bit of a mess (not helped by the fact that Liquid Green Stuff shrinks when it dries) and while it would be easy to just excuse it as Nurgle, it bothers the hell out of me. I'm tempted to get another box and start over.

I don't blame you. I know the way I am I would and have done what you're considering. (My Magnus had one of his horns mis-glued for about 10 minutes. I was the only one who could see his hair was slightly affected... I couldn't stand it and found a new Magnus head for too much money on Ebay.)

So out of curiousity did the original head bother you? Or did you just decide you wanted to try something different?

The original head is comical to the point of being stupid. It's like Uncle Fester tripped balls and was stuffed into Power Armour. I also intended to make a 40K rendition of my 30K Praetor, but was underwhelmed with the Dark Imperium model. I had picked up a Deathshroud model with the intention to convert it (not easy) but when Felthius was revealed I decided that would be the best model to use. It's unfortunate the LoC cannot take a ranged weapon, so modeling options become much more narrow.

I don't know... I really don't want to drop another $40, but I guess i could try experimenting with the other Blightlords a bit for more variety. Unfortunately, I cannot find a loose Felthius anywhere so that may be my only option.

Melee Squad #2 has now been assembled...

With this squad, I wanted to change the configuration up a little and also try to make the models a little more unique... not easy with these guys. I dropped the Maces from the Axe wielders and replaced the Blight Launchers with Plague Spewers to pack a bigger Overwatch punch in case it's needed.

I tried to make them a bit more dynamic as well and utilized various Blightking and Blightlord bits. The Champion is armed with a Plasma Gun from 2nd Edition, I figured it has a more archaic look to it as well as being more cumbersome.

No paint updates yet, but I'm pretty far along with the Blight Haulers, Blightlords and Ranged Plague Marines.

Let me know what you think!

J2LiqqZ.jpg

oosj25R.jpg

Cv0hneH.jpg

Svz8Ihw.jpg

Is that Felthius' head holding the heavy weapon? He looks thoroughly amused to be holding that weapon! I like it.

I personally love the DG close combat looks. I'm glad I'm not the only one going that direction. They look fantastic.

Thanks a lot, folks! I'm enjoying building this army almost as much as I am painting and playing it.

Felthius' head is pretty goofy, but it's unique and I felt like leaving it in my bits box was a wasted opportunity.

I received my next squad of Plague Marines in the mail today. They're pre-assembled and I picked them up on a whim off of eBay for a killer price. The only thing is that their loadout was subpar (1x Blight Launcher, 1x Plague Belcher, Icon of Despair, Champ with Plague Sword and Bolt Pistol) so I made some improvements.

I decided to outfit them with 2 x Blight Launchers. I could have used more Plasma Guns (I mean, who couldn't?) But one of them already had one and I had another lying around unused. Same story with the Plasma Gun and Power Fist the Champ is armed with. The Plasma Gun is from the Plague Marine box and I shaved the hand off and rounded it out on the bottom. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. The Fist I'm pretty pleased with. I was able to angle it so that it looks like he's resting it on his leg.

In other news, I've gotten the armour and flesh done on the Blight Haulers and Plague Marines / Blightlords. I wish that meant I was almost done, but unfortunately I have much more to do.

So with Squad #6 here I'm not sure if I'm going to go for a 7th to PRAISE NURGLE or stick with the 6 and bolster them up to 14 each.

Anyhow, here we go.

ZrFd5Wd.jpg

IIuZe58.jpg

B0cvbtU.jpg

nv2s1Ac.jpg

It's like an itch you can't scratch... I can't help but continue to kitbash models. I went through this with my 30K Death Guard and especially my 30K Word Bearers. I still haven't even gotten to the tanks, which will require my undivided attention I'm sure.  I was hellbent on purchasing a Plagueburst Crawler or two next but with the new Great Unclean One and Daemon Codex, I think that topped my priority list. The best part is since I intend on building my GUO either as Rotigus or at least use his head, I'll have spare antlers to use for my old FW Great Unclean One... which I'm also finding more and more tempting to strip and repaint to match the rest of the army. Seeing the scale between the FW model and the new GW one has really made it irresistible. 

It really is, once it infects you it doesn't stop. Speaking of which, I ordered another Felthius box, but this time I'm going to play around with it a bit more to see if I can assemble my character more thoughtfully (and cleanly... if that makes sense with Nurgle). I'm nearing completion with my current batch so I'm thinking this weekend of next week I'll have an update with a plethora of finished models for your viewing pleasure.

Mobile Support incoming!

I was going to hold off posting the Blight Haulers until I had painted the accompanying models, but I just couldn't hold off. What a treat these were, the amount of detail in an Easy to Build kit is quite impressive. I had contemplated picking up some hull plates from the Bloat Drone kit to make these more individual but in the end decided to keep them as-is (mainly because I couldn't wait to assemble them). I did, however, decide from the get-go that I would do a few things to make them different while still keeping them uniform. 

The first thing you'll notice from the head-on view is the Trilobe design on their hull. I used this iconography to my advantage and painted it to represent their position in the pack (or squadron or unit or whatever you'd like). In the middle is the Alpha, so designated by the middle lobe being forged in bronze. Second would be the Beta on the right-hand side, again, as shown with the bronze lobe. Finally there's Omega on the left. 

From the side shot you'll notice I extended the designation theme from my Bloat Drones over to the Haulers with black stripes on their segmented hull. You can also see the pack order is in line with their numeration (#1 Alpha, #2 Beta, #3 Omega). Otherwise, everything else on these guys is pretty standard for the army. 

Well that should do it for now... stay tuned, I'll have another update at some point this week (hopefully). 

7JYdCsFh.jpg

d9rAjFDh.jpg

oBmSzUuh.jpg

Haha, thanks man. It's not too difficult to make models look more appealing than GW does, but that's mainly because they paint theirs in thick highlights for distance photography... which always made me wonder why they didn't just paint separate models for close up photos.