Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

THC V2.0: OOC Thread

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Castigators

Let's try to resurrect this, then!

Thanks to Kurgan's nudge, it's clear we better use this place or risk losing it.

The Higher Call is a narrative roleplay exploring the adventures of individuals indentured to the service of the Imperial Inquisition. It's in the vein of Dark Heresy, and draws a lot of inspiration from it, but does not use any of its rules. This is narrative, with success or failure based on the text character write and the whims of the gamesmaster, who provides the information and interaction characters require in order to progress. 

Players take on the role of Inquisitorial acolytes, members of an investigative cell aligned with an Inquisitor. It's entirely possible that they've never seen this elusive figure before, but for them the Inquisitor's power is as real and as terrifying as that of the Emperor Himself. This is an opportunity to explore characters from the ground-level of the Imperium; this is not a tale of enhanced super-soldiers or godlike warriors. This a tale of ordinary men and women. And a tale of how the actions (and sacrifices) of the ordinary can help sustain the Imperium itself. 

The Higher Call has had a long and storied history over the last decade across the Ammobunker and the Bolter and Chainsword forums. Due to several reasons, the previous story following Septimus Cell has collapsed. This story will follow a new group of acolytes on an entirely new (and short, self-contained) story so that we can try to establish a regular gaming group. 

Interested?

This game can progress with two players or anything up to eight or so; the power levels of enemies will obviously scale appropriately.

If you're interested in playing, by all means please post with the kind of character(s) you'd be interested in playing. As a general guideline, this is the game where you're more likely to see a washed-up ex-Arbitrator investigator than a Deathwatch Terminator. Your character will have some sort of innate quality that will have attracted the Inquisition and shown you as worthy for service to the Throne. Please don't arrive with your 40-page character profile which you're not prepared to budge on; this isn't that kind of game. I'll provide details of setting as we progress. 

This game can progress with two players or anything up to eight or so; the power levels of enemies will obviously scale appropriately.

Edited by Commissar Molotov, 14 August 2017 - 08:35 AM.

QUOTE (voi shet magir @ May 31 2011, 05:38 AM) 
That is an unexpectedly strong assertion from a dead person.

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,096 posts

Interested. What restrictions are imposed upon players regarding character creation? Also, which area of the Imperium are we going to be in?

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka, 20 June 2017 - 10:43 AM.

gallery_45765_5904_30693.png

Forum Rules | Imperial Fists (& Successors) | Liber Astartes

"There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. He is doubt, and fear, and despair.

Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion he is."

- attributed to Rogal Dorn

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,216 posts

Yup. I'm interested. I'll be intrigued as to who my new character will be (though I'm still keen to revisit Ms. Haygarth at some point). 

gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

The biggest rule is simply that of common sense, I think! 

You can look back at previous Higher Call games to see the sorts of characters we've had. Arbitrators, scribes, guardsmen, penal legionnaires, assassins, psykers, tech-priests, etc. The thing to bear in mind is that characters in this sort of game begin on the absolute lowest rung on the Inquisition's ladder. Chaff thrown at the enemies of man to see if any can thrive and ascend. In the spirit of that, arriving as a fully-fledged, power-armoured monstrosity isn't the greatest idea. A low-ranking tech-priest is far better than an Archmagos Dominus. 

In a similar way to Chapter creation in the Liber, I'd rather a player come with their half-formed idea that we can beat into shape together rather than trying to force something fully-fledged through and then getting upset when I won't allow it. 

I'm somewhat wary of psychic characters, and I would like to avoid dark and brooding characters who won't interact with one another. 

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,216 posts

I think I'm getting an idea on the character I want. He'll be scum, once an enforcer for shady denizens armed with a shotgun and a half-bottle of amasec. He doesn't do subtle. Or much thinking. I imagine him to be sixty something, balding, alcoholic and thin/malnourished from lack of a good meal. ^_^

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,127 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chapter of the Ruined King

Can I join again? :P

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

Well, if you've checked your PMs you'll know that you can! 

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,127 posts

I asked before you sent it, I swear!  sweat.gif

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

Also, which area of the Imperium are we going to be in?

I'm still pinning it down, but it's likely to be within the Dalthus Sector, my own personal stomping ground, for ease and in case I can ever cross over with the original THC cell (or re-use my many copious story notes!) 

Practically, since the story will be on one single world, of course player characters may be from elsewhere, but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm not expecting us to use any GW official properties - we won't see Tallarn/Mordian/Elysian/Tanith etc characters. But again, we don't need 40+ page character biographies. In the short term it's enough to say "my character comes from a hive world/agri world/voidfleet" and we can colour in the gaps later. 

I think I'm getting an idea on the character I want. He'll be scum, once an enforcer for shady denizens armed with a shotgun and a half-bottle of amasec. He doesn't do subtle. Or much thinking. I imagine him to be sixty something, balding, alcoholic and thin/malnourished from lack of a good meal. happy.png

Sounds scummy enough for the game! 

I asked before you sent it, I swear!  sweat.gif

What sort of character are you thinking of? 

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,096 posts

Here's my basic idea:

• Iacton Herzog, formerly 2nd Lieutenant of the 23rd Baldackian Fusiliers.
  • Third son of the Herzog line, sent to a military academy on a neighbouring planet.
  • Scholam throwout; life in the Imperial Guard changed him and gave him a purpose.
  • Line-officer to the core; good grasp of tactics, gets his hands dirty and leads from the front.
  • More proficient with a rifle than a pistol (an officer's weapon of choice).
  • Was mind-wiped after an ill-fated encountered with agents of Chaos; the rest of his unit was removed from existence but for whatever reason he was spared and abandoned on a Hive World far from home.
  • Suffers from PTSD.
  • Addicted to X narcotic but will go to great lengths to hide this from anyone.
  • Works in a low-level mercenary band as one of the leader's 2-i-c to fuel his addiction and not stay inactive but is having difficulty adjusting to life outside of the military and dislikes the lawlessness of the lower and mid-Hive.
  • Ultimate aim is to rejoin the Imperial Guard (and serve the Emperor, of course).

Edit: re-jigged the format.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka, 20 June 2017 - 11:26 AM.

"There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. He is doubt, and fear, and despair.

Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion he is."

Noctus Cornix

Noctus Cornix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,127 posts

I'll have to think on that one. I considered bringing back my tech-priest from last time because I so thoroughly adored the concept of it, but I'm thinking I might move towards a more sociable character this time. 

One idea that crossed my mind was perhaps a member of a crusader order in service to the Ecclesiarchy. 

Edited by Noctus Cornix, 20 June 2017 - 11:27 AM.

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

Dos: One of the first edition Dark Heresy rulebooks deals with mind-wiped characters, the idea of glimpses of memory, half-remembered dreams and the like. There's enough there for me to play with at a later date. 

Noctus: Between the two characters thus far we have quite martial and militaristic characters. There's scope for a priest or faith-based character, a scribe/sage/savant, a character that's technological. I wouldn't have the exact same tech-priest as before, but a tech-priest would be allowable. Before your priest was a Biologis, which is quite specific. A Crusader's not a bad idea, or some sort of journeyman priest? I'm open at the moment. 

I do think the cell will do better with a wide range of characters to ensure you can meet a range of challenges. I figure whoever is responsible for recruiting all of you will have put thought into that! 

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,096 posts

If having two martial characters is an issue, I can try something else.

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

Two martial characters out of three might be an issue. Two martial characters out of six, less so. I don't have a problem with either of your characters at the moment, especially as, Olis's doesn't have an Imperial Guard background. I'll just wait and see for the time being. 

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,216 posts

Two martial characters out of three might be an issue. Two martial characters out of six, less so. I don't have a problem with either of your characters at the moment, especially as, Olis's doesn't have an Imperial Guard background. I'll just wait and see for the time being. 

Indeed he doesn't. Despite the picture I want to use for him... (Yes I know he looks like Sean Connery...)

gallery_60566_6038_19693.jpg

Morovir

Morovir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

I'd be interested in this. Maybe as a Tech-priest Cyber Mastiff Handler?

ETL_2015_Banner_03d_Primus_Inter_Pares.jETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jp

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,290 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart
So you sent me a PM Molotov, and I think I'm interested (I can post pretty regularly, but my posts might not be that long). I'm pretty sure you already know, but I'd want to play a Sororitas. The typical way to do that at lvl 1 is to make them a Novice (I'm going to have to come up with a differebt character concept since I'm already playing another Novice on another forum :P )

I will say that right now I'm feeling a bit wary of the time commitment

Edited by Servant of Dante, 20 June 2017 - 01:08 PM.

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

It's up to you, Dante, though I know you previously expressed interest. Clearly there's no space for a power-armoured Sororitas stomping around, though someone who is related to the Ecclesiarchy could entirely be appropriate. Of course, that runs the gamut from indoctrinated death-cultists all the way to Priests. I wanted to give you the option, though if you feel you can't manage the time that's fine. I'd rather you be an enthusiastic cheerleader from the sidelines than a lacklustre player! 

Morovir: I personally don't think Tech-Priests are responsible for cyber-mastiffs. In my view, that's used to justify another tech-priest career path in the RPG. We've got several examples (Necromunda Enforcers, the Forgeworld Enforcer) where others can use cyber-mastiffs. If you're wanting to play an Arbitrator with cyber-mastiff that's one thing; I'd be happy for that. Of course, a Tech-Priest could have a familiar of its own - a servo-skull being the obvious one. 

Olis: :tu:

PaperBob

PaperBob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
  • Chapter Name: Adeptus Mechanicus

Hey Molotov, I'd love to throw my interested hat in amongst the rest. I will say that I'm fairly new to 40k in general as far as lore is concerned but I'm quite familiar with narrative PbP.

Since it appears we have quite the martial group I figured I could round out the acolytes with a scribe of some sort. A former cog in the machine of a vast scriptorum; had hardly seen life outside of his hive city sector. A genestealer infestation ruined that life but his ability to survive caught the eye of the Inquisitor sent to root out the gene-cult.

• Servant of Dante likes this

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,096 posts

I've been thinking about an alternate character and a beast handler popped into my mind. Perhaps a pathfinder or bounty hunter of some sort? The beast would give the character some combat capability but that wouldn't be the focus of the duo and they would definitely be useful to a more investigative team (and bring their own set of challenges due to the beast).

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,290 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart
Well, that's why I mentioned a Novice :D

As per the DH rules they don't run around in power armor; they aren't full Sisters yet. In the other PbP I'm doing there're 2 Novices, one with flak and laspistols, the other with and armoured bodyglove and a shotgun.

Of course, this would also mean I'd be playing a 14-ish year old girl, which I'm fine with (and no im not going to make them as an annoying child, they aren't immature, just perhaps ignorant of how the Imperium at large works).

I might be interested in playing a Ministorum priest, if the Novice is absolutely unacceptable, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I suppose I could settle for a Death Cult Assassin? Maybe?

Edited by Servant of Dante, 20 June 2017 - 02:13 PM.

Morovir

Morovir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

I think I'll go with the Arbitrator with cyber-mastiff - a strict devotee of the Lex Imperialis - but one who has found himself slipping towards abstractionism in his pursuit of justice. Dariel Krell shall return from the depths of obscurity.

ETL_2015_Banner_03d_Primus_Inter_Pares.jETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jp

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,378 posts

Hey Molotov, I'd love to throw my interested hat in amongst the rest. I will say that I'm fairly new to 40k in general as far as lore is concerned but I'm quite familiar with narrative PbP.

Since it appears we have quite the martial group I figured I could round out the acolytes with a scribe of some sort. A former cog in the machine of a vast scriptorum; had hardly seen life outside of his hive city sector. A genestealer infestation ruined that life but his ability to survive caught the eye of the Inquisitor sent to root out the gene-cult.

I'm all for scribes, as I think they make the game (and the sorts of things I can throw at the group) more interesting. I wouldn't think any lack of knowledge regarding 40k is a problem, either. The characters in this group aren't likely to know too much outside of their own experiences, and a scribe within the Administratum, as you mention, is likely to have been quite closeted. Regarding your barebones character concept, I like the idea of a scribe experiencing some awful things due to a cult uprising - I wouldn't want to be much more explicit regarding the type of cult, however. No knowledge of genestealers - rumours about things in the dark with claws that ripped people to shreds - that's fine! 

I've been thinking about an alternate character and a beast handler popped into my mind. Perhaps a pathfinder or bounty hunter of some sort? The beast would give the character some combat capability but that wouldn't be the focus of the duo and they would definitely be useful to a more investigative team (and bring their own set of challenges due to the beast).

A beast in and of itself is an interesting idea. I sat and thought about your post for a while, and firstly I thought of Bloodwing from Borderlands, and then for some reason I thought about an Ankylodon. Either way, a beast would need to be survivable enough, or else you will become a hunter with a deceased animal! It of course would also depend on whether Morovir's cyber-mastiff idea develops. 

That said, I do rather like the idea of a former mind-wiped soldier... some narrative play there. 

Well, that's why I mentioned a Novice biggrin.png

As per the DH rules they don't run around in power armor; they aren't full Sisters yet. In the other PbP I'm doing there're 2 Novices, one with flak and laspistols, the other with and armoured bodyglove and a shotgun.

Of course, this would also mean I'd be playing a 14-ish year old girl, which I'm fine with (and no im not going to make them as an annoying child, they aren't immature, just perhaps ignorant of how the Imperium at large works).

I might be interested in playing a Ministorum priest, if the Novice is absolutely unacceptable, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I suppose I could settle for a Death Cult Assassin? Maybe?

I have no problem with the age - I work with teenagers so I know what it's like. I also am well aware that such a character would have been brought up through the Scholam Progenium and/or any Ecclesiarchal teaching, so they're not likely to be an annoying cliché. However, I wonder if you should try something that would be different from your prior experiences - perhaps a novice who has been removed or somehow 'failed' her training? Something unusual. 

My problem with the Dark Heresy character paths was the idea that over the course of a campaign the novice would go off and go get her power armour, etc. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me. I think the Imperial faith has a great deal of possible characters you could play with that wouldn't need to refer to Sororitas. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the lycra-clad death-cultists. 

Either way, there's time for you to consider your commitment to the game and the sort of character you'd like to play.

I think I'll go with the Arbitrator with cyber-mastiff - a strict devotee of the Lex Imperialis - but one who has found himself slipping towards abstractionism in his pursuit of justice. Dariel Krell shall return from the depths of obscurity.

Well, Krell was the character you played in Dosjetka's game, right? I think "Kariel Drell" would need a new name... msn-wink.gif

Morovir

Morovir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

That'll do...

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,096 posts

Krell was indeed a part of my short-lived scenario. And since he's got a cyber-mastiff, I'll stick with Iacton Herzog for now. :tu:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users