New Death Guard in 8th edition

Prot

• 2 weeks later...
So he has a 7" aura of smite? Good lord, he is beautiful. He is also 4 more PL than Magnus. As for Plague Wing, I really think this might be viable depending on the PPM of these bad boys. They will probably be T5, will have at least 2W, a 2+/5++ or maybe cause of cataphractii they will have a 4++, plus disgustingly resilient with that 5/6+ FNP. Combine that with a possible apothecary, Mortarion and Typhus, along with some possible heavy weapon support of the plague crawlers...might rival dustwing or Paladin GK.

Combine that with a possible apothecary, Mortarion and Typhus, along with some possible heavy weapon support of the plague crawlers...might rival dustwing or Paladin GK

And rightfully so! After all the Death Guard termis are famous to be the toughest of their kin. 

Does anyone have an idea what that triangle thingy in the limited editon could be?

Combine that with a possible apothecary, Mortarion and Typhus, along with some possible heavy weapon support of the plague crawlers...might rival dustwing or Paladin GK.

And rightfully so! After all the Death Guard termis are famous to be the toughest of their kin.

Does anyone have an idea what that triangle thingy in the limited editon could be?

Maybe a stratagem or psychic power selection wheel? Or a wounds counter for Morty? :)

Can't wait for the complete rules, and of course the rest of the releases. My banker is planning his holidays already

Really good question, they have made something like it for AoS too but that was for their Allegiance Abilities so I really have no idea what they plan for it.

What could be possible is that it's just 3 sets of wheels that count to 12 or something, so you can indeed keep track of either your health, stratagems, victory points, command points, basically a little bit of all of the above. Which would actually be a welcome thingy I feel, it's a nice way to seperate X points with something that isnt dice, as it's way too easy to pick those dice up to roll attacks with and such.

Depending on the details, I might actually go for the Limited Edition this time. Those counters better be metal though, and I need to know about the rest as well.

If in doubt, I'm fine with the regular codex too.

The counters seem to have a reflective quality which would suggest that they are metal.

I'll get the limited edition, but only if it doesn't cost 320€ like the previous limited edition...

From the contents it seems to be:

1x Collectors Edition Codex version (normal codex with different front and back cover)

1x Death Guard Datacards (Stratagems + Tactical Objectives)

6x Objective Marker

1x Mysterious Triangle

1x Pamphlet (could be a poster with some artwork on it or maybe a map of the galaxy etc).

I'll probably just grab the collectors one which is just the codex with the special cover as being in NZ the limited will be horrendously expensive, the collectors is $165 but should be worth it for the nicer cover. I really want to see what the dice look like as Ill be spending quite a lot just getting the collectors codex, data cards plus the plague brethren ( hey I just like the models and I'm sick of only having loyalist exclusives so it's nice having an actual chaos one plus a sucker for lovely artwork and fluff ) so the Death Guard dice better be worth it :D (please let the 3 be the symbol of Nurgle :D )

I plan to pick up the codex. I need to see the rules before I decide how I want to build my army, but I am really leaning towards Plaguewing. Mortarion, Typhus, Terminators and Land Raiders.

same here, i've been sat on the starter box DG and a pile of nurgle daemons before going fully in

Oh wow... I'm such a ridiculous sucker for collector's stuff like that. I MUST RESIST.

I really enjoyed everything out of the DI box (aside from bell boy). I've played with, and against DG enough to know that this codex is probably going to put them in a very good place (hopefully for years to come).

More news! Directly from: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/05/death-guard-warlord-traits-stratagems-and-relicsgw-homepage-post-2/

STRATAGEMS
DG_Strat_CloudofFlies-500x271.jpg

Great Stratagem for sure and the best spoiled one in my opinion. It allows DG to really optimize the use for Poxwalkers as bodyguards for more relevant units.

DG_Strat_NurglesRot-500x317.jpg

Revealed before but still kind of nice. I don't think this is the type of Stratagem that will be used often due to it's cost. Nontheless extra Mortal Wounds are good in particular scenario's. Especially against Shield Terminators and the like.

DG_Strat_PutridDetonation-500x244.jpg

A perfectly cool one. For 1 CP I actually think this one can show up quite often. Auto Mortal Wounds here are legit because the deepstrikers are also often those with high Armour (Terminators).

ARTEFACTS
DG_Relic_TheSuppuratingPlate-500x302.jpg
Fantastic for Daemon Princes, likely the best in their book aswell.

DG_Relic_PandemicStaff-500x293.jpg

Cool enough. Between Thypus and Mortarion it isn't unlikely you will want to supplement those power houses with regular characters and this makes Psykers allright.

DG_Relic_DolorousKnell-500x363.jpg

Solid too.

WARLORD TRAITS (half)
DG_Warlord_RevoltinglyResiliant-500x312.DG_Warlord_LivingPlague-500x341.jpgDG_Warlord_Contaminator-500x483.jpg

Seems like a solid set up, offcourse we still need the other options to fully evaluate these. 6 Seems the most solid of the 3 here, 7" means 2+ units arn't difficult to affect.

Cheers,

I'm super excited about the "Suppurating Plate."  This will be the bane of all Horde Armies. 

I like Dolorus Knell, but honestly I think this should have been part of the Noxious Blightbringer's equipment to begin with (maybe it still will).  As of now he's very meh.....

Of all the Warlord traits, the +1 to DR roles is by far the best IMHO

BTW, thank you so much for posting this here Commissar K.

Its a pleassure, Im really happy DG is getting all the love from GW. To be honest your also right about Dolorus Knell, I think it can serve a purpose if you indeed want to include a Noxious Blightbringer, which then becomes a nice Obnoxious Blightbringer heh :P 

I'm also looking forward to which of the Warlord Traits is found on Mortarion, they pretty much all makes sence.

In any case the Death Guard are what I consider the first "new" 8th edition army and I believe GW will try to do their best to make them as interesting as possible and they are really succeeding in my opinion. Even moreso if their CSM Datasheet entry will be the same in their upcomming Codex.

Cheers,

Assuming the plague-burst crawler's artillery piece is worth taking and a plague weapon Arch-Contaminator is potentially way superior to Revoltingly Resilient since its basically a limited version of Guiliman's aura on a potentially far cheaper chassis. Exalted Champions are amazing and since outside of power fists basically all Plague marine melee weapons are plague weapons this trait basically makes the warlord into a better version of the Exalted Champion. If you want to not take wounds on your warlord you can do so quite easily until you're starting to lose anyway. Revoltingly Resilient is basically just a simpler version of one of the generic traits and arguably worse than Unholy Fortitude from the regular chaos marine codex.

Assuming the plague-burst crawler's artillery piece is worth taking and a plague weapon Arch-Contaminator is potentially way superior to Revoltingly Resilient since its basically a limited version of Guiliman's aura on a potentially far cheaper chassis. Exalted Champions are amazing and since outside of power fists basically all Plague marine melee weapons are plague weapons this trait basically makes the warlord into a better version of the Exalted Champion. If you want to not take wounds on your warlord you can do so quite easily until you're starting to lose anyway. Revoltingly Resilient is basically just a simpler version of one of the generic traits and arguably worse than Unholy Fortitude from the regular chaos marine codex.

Revolting Resilence is actually pretty strong way more than unholy fortitude, it adds 1 to any Disgusting Resilence roll most DG stuff already has DR which is a 5+ so with the trait it's now essentially a 4+ save that's pretty awesome on something like a daemon prince (especially combined with the armour relic) or even Mortarion if he has it

Archived