Land Raider Ares 8th Edition Datasheet (updated 12/20/2018)

12/20/2018 UPDATED LAND RAIDER ARES DATASHEET TO VERSION 1.7 PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FOR LATEST VERSION. Version number can be found on bottom right of the document.

Change Log:

• Ver. 1.7 – Adjusted Ares points to reflect changes to Land Raiders in Chapter Approved 2018, Complete redesign of Datasheet PDF to fix issues with text not appearing in some PDF Readers and browsers.
  • Ver. 1.6 - Minor layout changes.
  • Ver. 1.5 - Changed Demolisher Canon Damage attribute to D6, added "unofficial" stamp, removed white background only version.
  • Ver. 1.4 - Added text "This datasheet can be from any Space Marine Chapter."
  • Ver. 1.3 - Spelling fixes and added Dozer Ram melee weapon.
  • Ver. 1.2 - Internal Changes.
  • Ver. 1.1 - Various spelling and wording fixes.
  •  

Greetings Brothers!

I originally posted this in the Dark Angels forum since the Ares started out as a Dark Angels tank, but I thought I would share it here as well since it fits in the homegrown rules category.

Nine years ago, when I was on the Games Workshop Studio Web Team, I created the Land Raider Ares for an article on the Games Workshop website. It was an example of models that players could create for games of Warhammer 40K Apocalypse. People seemed to either love it or hate it, but it will always be dear to my heart as the one thing I created that left a mark on the 40k universe and people still talk about. Unfortunately GW never saw fit to make it "official" outside of the Apocalypse datasheet we put on the website (which is no longer there). It never received any updates for later editions of 40k either.

Well, if anyone has the right to update it, I figure I do, it was my baby to begin with. So here ya go, Land Raider Ares 8th Edition Datasheet. It's still not "official" and you will have to get your opponent's permission to use it, but at least in friendly games, most people won't mind.
Click on the image below to download the datasheets. (If the link doesn't work, such as on mobile, you can get it at Chamber 42 here.)

http://www.chamber42.com/files/datasheets/Ares/Latest/Ares-tease-600-new.jpg

One of the things I couldn't do on the original was give it very many options. So I've added some weapons options. It was made before the Redeemer came out and I probably would have used flamestorm cannons had they been around then, but since it started with twin heavy flamer sponson, that is still the default. I also added twin heavy plasma cannons as an option to replace the twin assault cannons because I've always like the idea of it and a hurricane bolter option as a fun alternative for the side sponsons as well. Dozer blades no longer have rules in 8th, but if they reappear later on in the actual codexes or in Forge World's datasheets, I can add that in later. This has been updated with Dozer Ram rules as found in the Imperial Armour - Index - Forces of the Adeptus Astartes book on the Sororitas Repressor.

I'm not above making changes, so play with it and let me know how it goes. All of my stuff is currently in storage until my family and I can move to a bigger place so I won't get the opportunity for a little while. I will keep the PDF at the link above and update it if any changes are made and note it in this post.

Also feel free to point anyone you think may want the datasheet to my post on Chamber42 here.

Take care
- Bish

Edited by Brother Bish

6/24/2017 UPDATED TO VERSION 1.4 PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FOR LATEST VERSION. Version number can be found on bottom right of the document.

Change Log:

Edited by Brother Bish

• 2 weeks later...

7/7/2017 UPDATED TO VERSION 1.5 PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FOR LATEST VERSION. Version number can be found on bottom right of the document.

Change Log:

• Ver. 1.5 - Changed Demolisher Canon Damage attribute to D6, added "unofficial" stamp, removed white background only version.
Edited by Brother Bish

• 1 month later...

8/15/2017 UPDATED TO VERSION 1.6 PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FOR LATEST VERSION. Version number can be found on bottom right of the document.

Change Log:

• Ver. 1.5 - Changed Demolisher Canon Damage attribute to D6, added "unofficial" stamp, removed white background only version.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the latest post on the Warhammer Community site...

"We are also bringing a whole new feature to Open Play. Designing and building your own vehicles is a feature that hasn’t appeared in Warhammer 40,000 since 5th Edition. We are going to trial some new rules to allow you to design your very own Land Raider variants and field these behemoths on the battlefields of the 41st Millennium."

So I have to wonder if this is happening because of the posts on Facebook asking for official Land Raider Ares rules! Seems a bit of a coincidence that they are using Land Raiders for the test.

I'm very excited to see how this works out!

Edited by Brother Bish

• 1 year later...

12/20/2018 UPDATED LAND RAIDER ARES DATASHEET TO VERSION 1.7 PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FOR LATEST VERSION. Version number can be found on bottom right of the document.

Change Log:

• Ver. 1.7 – Adjusted Ares points to reflect changes to Land Raiders in Chapter Approved 2018, Complete redesign of Datasheet PDF to fix issues with text not appearing in some PDF Readers and browsers.

Click on the image below to download the datasheets. (If the link doesn't work, such as on mobile, you can get it at Chamber 42 here.)

http://www.chamber42.com/files/datasheets/Ares/Latest/Ares-tease-600-new.jpg

• 4 months later...