Since nobody has stepped forward, I'll take the burden.

I cannot do an in-depth review of every unit, much less maths, so just a few units for now; but that's a nice thing imho, so the community can fill the gaps, correct me when I'm wrong and bring ideas, combos, synergies and what not. And I'm pretty sure that here are some veteran DE players that would put this thread-o-pain in the place it belongs.

So deal with me and feel free to contribute and share the pain.

Archons. They are decent, but nothing spectacular, have a nice invuln and can take a Ld debuff in the form of the Phantasm GL. For wargear, the classic blast pistol+agonizer is pretty solid.

If you want to take a Court of the Archon, Lhamaean and Sslyth are solid, but somewhat expensive.

Drazhar. Is a beast in CQC, and buff the Incubi to insane levels of killyness. As like much of the DE stuff, he is better if he manages the charge (which shouldn't be that difficult because he is fast and can ride Raiders with his Incubi pals). To put this in numbers, on the charge a unit of 9 incubi+drazhar would be killing ~4 terminators, ~11 marines or ~17 guardsmen on average. It is not a cheap combo (dudes+ride is about ~430 points) but it can be nasty.

Venoms. Awesome transport, screaming to be spammed. They're cheap, can be deadly to infantry with dual Splinter Cannon (12 shots that wound non-vehicles on 4+) forcing a lot of saves (which you can add the firepower of the transported unit if necessary), high mobility at 16". It also have a 5++ save and are hit with a -1 penalty, meaning that plasma weapons aimed at him would overheat on 1-2 on a D6 as per the new FAQ. While not specially tough in the statline, they are cheap and with the Flickerfield, the Night Shield, T6 and a 4+ save they are going to be more durable than the statline suggests.

Warriors. Cheap and spammable, armed with splinter rifles and a trusty blaster they are great for dealing extra dmg on enemy units.

Regarding Ravagers (always triple lance, unless your meta is really horde-heavy) I'm going to quote the Potato God here:

Ravagers are on fleek this edition. Being able to move, advance and fire everything is glorious.

Also I will plug Voidravens, just because the Void mine will ruin something's day if you get first turn.

On the Voidravens he's referring to the 6.667 mortal wounds it would deal on average against non-vehicle/monster units of 10+ models.

But I also love the Razorwing jetfighter, with dual lances, splinter cannon, and funky missiles it's a very annoying unit (and a really good looking model) that can caress everything for just 170 points.

For the Reavers I'm going to just quote Slips, as he grasps them better than me:

Yeah, Reavers feel more like a proper harassment unit since they have fly they can charge -> fall back -> shoot without issue which is probably what you want to do with them anyways due to how Grav Talons and Clusters work; ie Mortal Wounds on a 4+ when you Charge (Talon) and/or Fall Back (Caltrops).

A power sword / Agonizer being cheaper than a 7th ed Melta Bomb though, seems like a no-brainer to include so that you have some CC punch, with a personal preference for Agonizers since they're always wounding on a 4+

Blast Pistols being 2 Melta Bombs, sure, you can probably skip out on them but being able to use them in your next turns shooting phase while locked in CC seems pretty nifty to me since its basically a Power Fist attack without the -1 to hit.

And lastly I'm going to quote myself regarding Talos because I'm really tired:

"If you like big nasty things, triple talos (barebones) can also deal a lot of damage both in the shooting phase and in close combat, and you'll like to have a friendly (if that is even possible) haemonculus near them, for a nice and sweet +1T bonus."

Looking forward to see your thought on this.

Cheers!

Thanks WarriorFish :happy.:

I plant to use a unit of wyches myself, either with Lilith or a Succubus to help Drazhar and the Incubi in their bloody jobs.

As Wyches are troops, and cheap, they can have their uses, specially on drugs. With +1A, S or +2" movement they improve quite a bit. As I see them as a tarpit unit due the No Escape rule, but not actual butchers (not as much as the incubi at least), but can handle TEQ in combat. A unit of 9 plus a succubus (both with basic loadout) would kill around 6 conscripts on average (CQC only not counting the pistols). IF a Commisar/morale mitigation unit is close then the morale phase wouldn't do much, just the loss of another enemy model, and in return we're losing 3-4 wyches.

All of this leads me to Hellions, who aren't specially brilliant on their own, but they synergize well with the Wyches, and can also ride Raiders now!

Example of a pincer maneuver with both of them, against said conscripts+commisar (full blob of 50 meatbags).

Wych Cult

Raider with D-cannon

9 Wyches

Succubus

5 Hellions

Like always, careful positioning is key, specially with our glass cannony army. Move as close to the enemy, then fire everything at the meatbags:

Raider: 1,667 deaths

Wyches: 2,222 deaths

Hellions: 2,222 deaths

Total: 6,111 deaths

Charge with the Raider to soak up overwatch and then the rest (DRUGS: Succubus +1A, Wyches +1S, Hellions +1A).

Raider: 0,833

Wyches: 5,63

Hellions: 4,741

Succubus: 2,778

Total: 13,979

For a Grand Total of 20,09 dead conscripts. Not bad even if there will be 29 of them to fight back!

Note on this, forgot the Succubus fire and the re-rolling ones on everything, so there may be a couple more deaths :smile.:

For the Scourges, they're not that cheap, but can be a decent AT unit with either heat lances or blasters. I wouldn't do them with Dark Lances because they're heavy and you want to maximize the dmg output, so, assault weapons is for me. Not sure if the Haywire is worth it to be honest, but maybe more versed frater can jump in.

Vs Predator:

4 Blasters: 3,56 dmg

4 Heat Lances: 1,036 dmg (outside the melta zone) Anyone with better maths than me (easy!) can further develop calculations :happy.:

Edit: Adding Dark Lances because why not?

4 Dark Lances (with -1 To Hit due movement): 4,6655 dmg! Which proves that is better to test stuff than assume things :sweat:

The Scourges can also be a nice AI unit, armed with Splinter cannons. If you DS them at rapid fire range, thats 24 poisoned shots (8 dead conscripts, or 2,667 dead marines) which isn't half bad if you don't go Venom spam.

Edited by Brother Aiwass

A fun/stupid thing to note, is that, per the indexes, Lelith has Combat Drugs now. So you COULD make her S4 with her Ap-4 Knives or T4, Or M10" or have 8 Base Attacks (4 Base,+2 Hair, +1 Blade Pair, +1 Drug)

Coincidentally, a Wych Squad with the Movement Drugs also move 10" so up to 16" with advances accounted for per turn. So keep that in mind if you just want a cheap squad to run around grabbing objectives and doing not much else.

A unit to consider is possibly Bloodbrides with the +1A Drug with a Power Sword/Agonizer. Each model would have 4A (2 Base, +1 CCW, +1 Drug or 3 Base +1 Drug for sarge with special). For specials on the squad, until we get our codex they all feel blegh. Ap-1 across the board for all of them is ok with:

• Hydras re-rolling to wound
  • Razors re-rolling to hit; honestly this might be the weakest choice due to PfP on T3 giving +1 to hit and a succubus/Lelith almost always being nearby (preferably)
  • Impaler having D2

So they're not SUPER vital to the units performance but, say, 3 Impalers in the unit would be nice to have to deal just a bit more damage to Multiwound models where possible.

Too, with the change to EVERYTHING having splitfire, Dark Lance Scourges are very much worth it imo. M14" with a 36" DL gives them 50" of effective threat range, they can hop up and down buildings to avoid charges and if they don't/can't, they have fly so they can just leave combat and shoot. Definitely a strong choice to have in Fast Attack.

That said, if you do run Scourges I'd very much be in favor of going for a full squad to have as many ablative bodies available to take shots for your Lances as possible.

Heavy Support is only really a contest between Ravagers, Talos and Chronos and unless you're running a Haemonculus Coven, I feel that the Ravager is the clear winner in this slot and if points/models allow, you'd might as well fill up as many slots as you can with them going Triple Lance or Triple Disintegrator as you see fit, really.

Flyers are 0-2 for the most part and the Void Raven is actually pretty decent now. Still very pricey but if you can fit him in, might as well. The Void Mine is also pretty good at taking a chunk out of 10+ man units. I'd 100% pay for the missiles upgrade every time since an extra d6 S7 Ap-1 D1 shots that reroll to wound or d3 S6 Ap-3 D1 shots are nice to have.

I'd also probably swap out the Void Lances for Dark Scythes since you'll rarely be out of range with them due to M20". Instead of 2 S9 Ap-4 Dd6 shots, you get 2d3 S8 Ap-4 Dd3 shots. Makes the damage a bit more variable and swingy but you get a minimum of 2 shots all the way to 6 shots.

Its hard to go wrong with the Razorwing though.

Edited by Slips

True! I think that I just want to find a use for the d2 weapons that Hellions get. They can be quite unkind to characters - and I think killing guard characters is going to become important. The inefficiencies of massacring conscripts is troubling me already - they are quite killable, but they are so unbelievably cheap that basically every guard character can just blob up and use them as ablative wounds. 

Edited by WhatTheBlazes

True! I think that I just want to find a use for the d2 weapons that Hellions get. They can be quite unkind to characters - and I think killing guard characters is going to become important. The inefficiencies of massacring conscripts is troubling me already - they are quite killable, but they are so unbelievably cheap that basically every guard character can just blob up and use them as ablative wounds. 

Say, you take a Tantalus. You want your warlord inside and a unit or two inside. But for the point I aiming to, we can ignore them, what is important, however, is that you can embark Hellions inside, a lot of them; and since it has Enhanced Aethersails it can move 32" per turn. In a risky move, you may advance 32" turn one, then disembark your Hellions (it can fit 16!) 3", then move 14", then charge 8"+ (it's T2, so re-roll charges ahoy).

Sure, is an all-or-nuffin move, and the Tantalus would attract a lot of firepower/charges if you don't have screen units, which at that speed, can only be deepstriking units if I'm not mistaken, and those are not specially cheap. E.g. Two 10 strong Scourges units would cost 280 points (naked!), plus the 15 Hellions and the Tantalus would score a total of 885 points (902 if you instead take 2 8 strong Hellions units), which doesn't look very good at 2k points.

I'm afraid we will struggle against conscript blobs/hordes. We can go either full venom spam or melee (kabal or wych cult, not looked into the covens, so maybe is a chance there). I'll go down the wych path myself, but that's for thematic reasons.

A venom with 2 splinter cannon and 5 warriors (4 rifles, 1 blaster) would kill the stunning number of 4,4 conscripts on the shooting phase on average (and that's 20 splinter shots). Ho-hum.

Hopefully that kind of list includes 3 ravagers and 3 razorwing/voidravens to help with more splinter fire and missiles/lances/scythes.

Need to think about this as a friend of mine plays tyranid swarm >_<

Don't forget that the +1T from the Haemonculus also extends to all <Coven> vehicles. So enjoy your T6 Raiders! :D 

Most of the things that our units did in 7th edition they now do too. Venomspam with Blasterborn or Warriors + 1 Blaster is still very good, since our vehicles don't explode to a stiff breeze anymore. Reavers are still a good harassing unit. Make them T5 with the drugs and take units of 6 to get those two Grav Talons and special weapons. Then pick off targets of opportunity. Heatlances are quite good on the jetbikes since they are fast enough to easily get into melter range and with splitfire you can take down a vehicle and shoot the rest at nearby infantry.

A Haemonculus in a Raider with four Grotesques and a nearby Cronos will make for a nasty combo. Disembark your Haemy and the Grots, soak up overwatch with the Raider and then charge everything into a unit/units. If something loses a wound you can heal it back with the Cronos.

Wyches and Bloodbrides are now quite good, especially with a Succubus to buff them. Give them either +1S or +1A. They are the bane of any walker's existance as most Dreadnoughts etc only have 4 attacks and the Wyches have a 4++ in melee so they can tie it up for a long time. With S4 they even wound it on 5+ so stock up on Hydra Gauntlets and you will be able to strip a few wounds.

Ravagers are amazing but will get a lot of unwanted attention from the enemy's guns. In 7th edition a rule of thumb was to take one Ravager per 500 points. With vehicles having become tougher I think 2-3 Ravagers at 2000 points will be good enough.

At the moment I find the Archon a rather odd choice. In 7th edition you could make him a decent melee character by giving him the Soul Trap and the Huskblade and just killing some Sergeants to power-up. Now he is still good in melee with his 2++ and an Agoniser but his aura suggests that he wants to stand behind your Warrior Blobs and help them with moral. For close combat we have the Succubus and the Haemy, both of which actually help out the other units that will get stuck in melee with them so what's the point of taking an Archon?

Yeah. There are options. Turn 2 charges are feasible, but it's very much a 'then what' situation. I'm looking hard at the beast units though - they aren't good at killing tough things, but Razorwings are 1) incredibly cheap and 2) backed up with a beastmaster, can be quite nasty. 10 of them will boast 80 (strength 2, hitting on 5's, rerolling misses) attacks, 40 wounds (albeit, toughness 2 with a ... 7+ save), and will move rather quickly. Will kill ~10 guardsmen a turn in cc and cost around 130 points.

Edited by WhatTheBlazes

I'm about to try out my DE for a game. I'm excited about advancing and alpha striking with blasters in venoms. Going to try a beefed up Court and Archon(Which seem a lot better as ynnari so sllyth can die and ping Strength from Death while tanking for the Archon, but oh well), incubi, kabalites in venoms, razorwing jet fighters, scourges, and a lynx with a sonic lance.

My initial worry is that the cheap and spam-ability of things in venoms is going to lead to losing first turn from having a high unit count. We'll see how it goes. Though I'm glad scourges have a deepstrike rule. Their future slot competition for me are hornets so having a reserve rule makes them appealing for helping go first. It's really easy to offset your "half reserve max" counter when you can take a court to inflate the count but few things have a reserve rule.

Going forward I may buy into some more blaster bits and use a Vanguard to have 3x3 Blasterborn units in venoms. 34+d6" threat range on blasters sounds pretty spooky.

Had the game against a Spearhead of IF.

He had 2 grav devs in pods, two lasdevs on the field, two TFC, a Talon, and a Raven with Lysander and 5 THSS termis. Ended up 10-5 DE.

We played search and destroy, retrieval. The Lynx and RWJF are what saved me. The Lynx being able to fly and lance ate a dev squad a turn. The Venoms folded like lawn chairs, I'm not very impressed with them. They're cheap and can be spammed but at the cost of First Blood and going second is you take a lot. The Raider full of goodies made it to his line from sheer luck. That and blasters everywhere.

I didn't read the Tantalus until now. It's amazing. A serious contender against a Lynx. It's a bit beefier with more wounds, has a 5++, can transport a lot of models. It's weapons are arguably better than the lance as well. It's also surprisingly good in melee. The only trade off is losing the Airborne rule BUT it can advance 32" and fire it's two 36" assault 6 cannons for 12 S8 AP-3 D2 shots. A threat range of 68" is nothing to scoff at. It can also help ensure a turn two charge. Plus not having the 90 degree arc when moving makes sure you can always kite things if needed with it's massive jump. Fill it with Blasterborn and they too will be able to use their Assault 1 Blasters.

I'm hot off a game just now and I have to say this... T1 ALPHA STRIKE WITH DE IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!! It was only a small 1000 point game In which my opponent took some Crons. in turn 1 I 'deep struck' 2 units of mandrakes and 2 units of scourges with blasters. they both cleaned up shop. with some true born in the backfield I was quickly able to dispatch his c'tan and doomsday ark in 1 shooting phase. rendering him useless and just stayed out of range of his flayed ones and slowly picked them off. 

I think an alpha strike is the way to go from now on with my DE!

Mandrakes do seem a lot better now! I think I'll have to get some. (Or convert some?)

I'm not sure spamming units of 5 warriors in venoms is worth it - venoms aren't actually that cheap per-se. I'm planning to take a couple for zipping around and capturing objectives/irritating the enemy as necessary, but I think that'll be enough for me. There's too many fun units to take instead! 

Question: is it worth taking a unit of 10 warriors + dark lance, and plopping them on a close objective/in some backfield cover somewhere, and just hanging out taking pot shots? 

Edited by WhatTheBlazes

Had the game against a Spearhead of IF.

He had 2 grav devs in pods, two lasdevs on the field, two TFC, a Talon, and a Raven with Lysander and 5 THSS termis. Ended up 10-5 DE.

We played search and destroy, retrieval. The Lynx and RWJF are what saved me. The Lynx being able to fly and lance ate a dev squad a turn. The Venoms folded like lawn chairs, I'm not very impressed with them. They're cheap and can be spammed but at the cost of First Blood and going second is you take a lot. The Raider full of goodies made it to his line from sheer luck. That and blasters everywhere.

I didn't read the Tantalus until now. It's amazing. A serious contender against a Lynx. It's a bit beefier with more wounds, has a 5++, can transport a lot of models. It's weapons are arguably better than the lance as well. It's also surprisingly good in melee. The only trade off is losing the Airborne rule BUT it can advance 32" and fire it's two 36" assault 6 cannons for 12 S8 AP-3 D2 shots. A threat range of 68" is nothing to scoff at. It can also help ensure a turn two charge. Plus not having the 90 degree arc when moving makes sure you can always kite things if needed with it's massive jump. Fill it with Blasterborn and they too will be able to use their Assault 1 Blasters.

I'm hot off a game just now and I have to say this... T1 ALPHA STRIKE WITH DE IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!! It was only a small 1000 point game In which my opponent took some Crons. in turn 1 I 'deep struck' 2 units of mandrakes and 2 units of scourges with blasters. they both cleaned up shop. with some true born in the backfield I was quickly able to dispatch his c'tan and doomsday ark in 1 shooting phase. rendering him useless and just stayed out of range of his flayed ones and slowly picked them off. 

I think an alpha strike is the way to go from now on with my DE!

Both of you better post your lists ASAP :laugh.:

It's nice to hear good news about Mandrakes, even if they don't look super powerful on paper. 

For Warriors, Im personally going to footslog 2 units of 10 with a Blaster and Shardcannon. Means they have a decently nasty 18" bubble if something gets that close and just have them hang around mid/back field.

If you want Dark Lances galore, Ravagers, Scourges (with 4), Razorwings (i think they can) and Void Ravens (Im leaning Dark Scythe myself instead of void lance) would be better choices for the weapon imo.

Raiders its a toss up. Only one weapon so only a singular shot isn't that great and I'd personally go disintegrator.

The Tantalus is definitely on my Radar now too, I always loved the way it looked but not being a super heavy and paper thin in 7th ed and thus liable to being instagibbed steered me away from getting one.

So much stuff to buy, so little cash and time!

Well here it is:

Detachment: vanguard

HQ:

Archon - agoniser, Blast pistol [68]

Elites:

Mandrakes x5 [95]

Mandrakes x5 [95]

Incubi x5 [90]

Kabalite trueborn x10, blaster, dark lance x2, agoniser [158]

Fast attack:

Scourges x5, blaster x4 [130]

Scourges x5, blaster x4 [130]

Transport:

Raider, dark lance [115]

Raider, dark lance [115]

Total: 996

The mandrakes & scourges did there special deployments turn 1 with the 2 raiders providing range support. with his vehicles dead (from the scourges and true born) and C'tan a pile of rubble (mandrakes) from some good rolling. I was able to finish off his army by turn 2 with my incubi & Archon joining in on the action. The only models I lost was the two scourge sergeants (I deepstruck them in cover) and a unit of mandrakes which almost survived a full volley from 10 Tesla immortals.

Overall, I think mandrakes are the most improved unit in the game... bar none. They have become more survivable; more mobile & more deadly. an auto include in every army I field from now on.

EDIT:

in terms of mandrake models, Ive converted up some older LoTR ghost mountain dweller people and added some green flames. they look really good.

Edited by Skarbrand888

• Archon
  • Drahzar
  • Succubus
  • Court with Sslyth and a Lhamaean
  • 1x5 Incubi(In raider with HQs)
  • 3x5 Kabalites with blaster and BP
  • Raider
  • 3 Venoms with dual SC
  • 1x5 Scourges with 4 HWB and BP
  • 1x5 Scourges with Blasters and BP
  • RWJF with SC and 2 Distegrator
  • RWJF with TSR and 2 Dark Lance
  • Lynx with sonic lance

I'm going to get a Tantalus for my infantry, drop the lynx, and convert the Venoms into Hornets(I know not true DE but hey, piracy).

Going forward I'm going to give both RWJF Dark lances and SCs. As for the Raider I don't know. Haywire blasters just don't do enough wounds for my taste. Shure its a 50% to do a mortal wound and potentially 1 normal wound, but blasters will wound on a 4+ or better most of the time, have much better AP and can do d3 damage. Blasters are just plain better in most situations.

I'm not going to do the party boat again. The only reason it survived was it was behind LoS blocking T1 and got very lucky turn 2. Too many eggs in one very fragile basket.

I have a comfy 2k list I want to try here:

New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [107 PL, 1993pts]
Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [25 PL, 525pts]
  • Flyer
    • Razorwing Jetfighter [8 PL, 170pts]

2 Dark Lances, Splinter Cannon

• Razorwing Jetfighter [8 PL, 170pts]

2 Dark Lances, Splinter Cannon

• Voidraven [9 PL, 185pts]

Two void lances, Voidraven Missiles

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [82 PL, 1468pts]
  • No Force Org Slot
    • Court of the Archon [12 PL, 176pts]

Sslyth, Sslyth, Sslyth, Sslyth

• HQ
    • Archon [4 PL, 68pts]

Agoniser, Blast Pistol

• Troops
    • Kabalite Warriors [3 PL, 60pts]
      • 3x Kabalite Warrior
      • Kabalite Warrior with special weapon

Blaster

• Sybarite

Blast Pistol

• Kabalite Warriors [3 PL, 60pts]
      • 3x Kabalite Warrior
      • Kabalite Warrior with special weapon

Blaster

• Sybarite

Blast Pistol

• Elites
    • Sslyth [3 PL, 44pts]
  • Fast Attack
    • Hornet with 2 HPLs x3  [27 PL, 450pts]
    • Scourges [6 PL, 130pts]
      • Scourge with Special / Heavy weapon x4

Blaster

• Solarite

Shardcarbine

• Scourges [6 PL, 130pts]
      • Scourge with Special / Heavy weapon x4

Blaster

• Solarite

Shardcarbine

• Heavy Support
    • Tantalus [18 PL, 350pts]

The Sslyth are wound fodder for the Archon. Plus they reroll hits near the Archon. Incubi might be a bit killier but Sslyths mechanics will keep the Archon alive. Everyone goes in the Tantalus, Scourges are reserved. If intervening models ever give cover again then the hornets will screen the Tantalus. 5 Models that are on the table help go first and alpha strike.

Great thanks! ^_^

How the Incubi performed in your games? Have they managed to charge something?

@Skarbrand888, looks like a heavy hitting list for such low points!

@Nusquam, you convinced me at "but hey, piracy".

Your second list looks really solid and you're going to have almost guaranteed 1st turn with such low units on the table in T1, but it also may bring you hard times surviving heavy firepower if the enemy focus fire. Anyway, I like it a lot.

As for the Hornets not being Dark Eldar, and at the risk of getting BLAMMED for such Heresy, have you considered to give everybody the keyword <Ynnari>? That way everybody will be better sinergized.

I'm willing to steal your list :laugh.:

Looking at beastmaster and beasts, would the razorwing flicks be a good multiwound unit that can soak up fire and delay important units? A flock of 10 with beastmaster is 126 points. Thats 40 wounds and 80 attacks, using the beastmaster for rerolls and his morale. Sure they're strength 2 and toughness 2 so they'll be woubding everything on 5s but they could hold up important units

EDIT:

Clawed fiends also look good but are much more expensive.

It seems very gimmicky but could be useful

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Looking at beastmaster and beasts, would the razorwing flicks be a good multiwound unit that can soak up fire and delay important units? A flock of 10 with beastmaster is 126 points. Thats 40 wounds and 80 attacks, using the beastmaster for rerolls and his morale. Sure they're strength 2 and toughness 2 so they'll be woubding everything on 5s but they could hold up important units

EDIT:

Clawed fiends also look good but are much more expensive.

It seems very gimmicky but could be useful

Yeah, the sheer cheapness of the unit is not to be underestimated. With that weight of attacks, they'll force saves on almost anything. Wounding on 6's against real tough things will still be 7-8 saves, and double that for anything they wound on 5's. 

Edited by WhatTheBlazes

The flocks seem like a goodgap filler and objective grabber. Just put some down on a home objective or far flung one. Your opponent woul have to dedicate more points than what theyre worth to kill them off an objective or if the shoot the upfield threats instead you have that objective. Its a win win

FAQ is out and looks like were more or less good to go. The only thing is no transport mixing even if youre running Ynari.