Post-release roundtable: what worked? what didnt

Blackwinter

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic, as how I read the rules, you didn't disembark the passengers until after you roll the d6, in which case they aren't on the board yet. Looks like I misread the rules, but it seems quite a few folks in my FLGS had the same interpretation as myself.

Edit: Wow, good to see the rules are scattered around as usual. I just reread the paragraph in the Transports sidebar in the core rules, and I am sure I read it once, but I feel GW should have highlighted that part, or otherwise added it to the Explodes! SR.

NOTE: I also just realized it says destroyed, which I thought initially it was paired with the Explodes! SR. However, I think the correct interpretation is when the vehicles' wounds reach 0. I REALLY wish GW would care about making the rules more clear and consistent.

Edited by Gherrick

Not all vehicles have the Explodes rule, but all can be destroyed, by taking the vehicle unit to 0 Wounds. That's why the two rules/outcomes aren't linked.

There is always a risk to passengers riding in a Transport that is destroyed. Sometimes, there is also a risk to nearby units, when certain vehicles (with ammunition magazines or large fuel cells) are destroyed, and this second set of vehicles aren't necessarily Transports.

3x cyber wolves, I have been using them as a deep strike screen and for 45 points it's soo cheep, plus allows me to get an extra detachment. Use in conjunction with a really low drop army elsewhere and some can still potentially contest the drop war.

Screening well can make such a difference on this edition. Had a game against tua commander spam and keeping his guns at further range when they came on made all the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you guys using as your bjorn model? Ive been spoiled by contemptors and the boxnought version leaves a lot to be desired. im considering the FW one. I was looking at the FW SW contemptor, but Im concerned about WYSIWYG.

Also has anyone considered using the Imperial Space marine? The disintigration weapons are pretty sweet, and 60 points is cheap enough. 4 wounds, 3 attacks, pistol and combi, he makes a pretty good character to ride with razorback GHs.

What are you guys using as your bjorn model? Ive been spoiled by contemptors and the boxnought version leaves a lot to be desired. im considering the FW one. I was looking at the FW SW contemptor, but Im concerned about WYSIWYG.

Also has anyone considered using the Imperial Space marine? The disintigration weapons are pretty sweet, and 60 points is cheap enough. 4 wounds, 3 attacks, pistol and combi, he makes a pretty good character to ride with razorback GHs.

I personally like the current GW Bjorn. Just enough bling with a sweet claw, but not over the top. 

So after a few more games I can say:

Drop Pods - Nope

Vindicators - Nope

Sniper Scouts - Nope

Long Fangs - still good

Bjorn - awesome

Rune Priest - decent

Grey Hunters - ok. Very Fragile my last few games (10 strong packs). Maybe I'll try Razors with smaller units :ermm: 

Terminators - need a delivery system. Deep Strike is too chancy (especially assaulty builds)

I was thinking about sticking a power armor lone wolf in as the sixth guy with grey hunters in razorbacks. Maybe give them a little more punch if something comes after them? Since you could never do that before. Who knows, maybe it'll work. It's pricy though, for sure. If I try it out I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like the current GW Bjorn. Just enough bling with a sweet claw, but not over the top. 

So after a few more games I can say:

Drop Pods - Nope

Vindicators - Nope

Sniper Scouts - Nope

Long Fangs - still good

Bjorn - awesome

Rune Priest - decent

Grey Hunters - ok. Very Fragile my last few games (10 strong packs). Maybe I'll try Razors with smaller units :ermm: 

Terminators - need a delivery system. Deep Strike is too chancy (especially assaulty builds)

My Bjorn is customised from a normal venerable Dreadnought with some wolf bling. Then I used the banner from the honor guard and stick on his chassis. I cheated on the picture though, printed his emblem on a piece of laminated picture and stuck it on the banner.

He was also my very first Dreadnought, so holds a special place in my heart even if the new one looks much better. The only thing I don''t agree with the new model is that instead of a banner attached on top, his heraldry is carved into his chasis, like on his left chest plate shows him strangling a serpent.

Then you're losing the Wolf Guard Pack Leader which is just too good not to take in a squad of Grey Hunters.

Let us know if you have any success though, it may be something to consider

Are they though? An extra point of ld and a combiplas? Good if youre taking the plasma loadout but if you just want a cheap unit to hold obj and protect characters I dont see a reason to take a wg in the squad.

Then you're losing the Wolf Guard Pack Leader which is just too good not to take in a squad of Grey Hunters.

Are they though? An extra point of ld and a combiplas? Good if youre taking the plasma loadout but if you just want a cheap unit to hold obj and protect characters I dont see a reason to take a wg in the squad.

If I want a unit to sit on an objective I'd rather take some Primaris.

Cant get much better meat for your buck then 10 MEQ wounds for 100 points.

I've never understood why you'd take such a basic unit though.

I understand the temptation to save points but whenever I've taken a basic squad they've been killed without inflicting any noticeable damage to the enemy.

Whether it's a couple of Plasma Guns or a Frost weapon or two I've always found they kill more in points than the extra loadout costs.

With how good Plasma is in 8th I'd prefer to cut 49 points from my other units than cut my 5 Plasma shots.

That being said I'm always happy to try new things and I try not to be inflexible, if jerrys has success using a 5 man squad plus Lone Wolf I'd love to know and I might try it out once or twice.

If I want a unit to sit on an objective I'd rather take some Primaris.

Cant get much better meat for your buck then 10 MEQ wounds for 100 points.

That's a very good point.

Double the wounds, longer range and a better ap. much better than 70 points for basic Grey Hunters

I've never understood why you'd take such a basic unit though.

I understand the temptation to save points but whenever I've taken a basic squad they've been killed without inflicting any noticeable damage to the enemy.

Whether it's a couple of Plasma Guns or a Frost weapon or two I've always found they kill more in points than the extra loadout costs.

With how good Plasma is in 8th I'd prefer to cut 49 points from my other units than cut my 5 Plasma shots.

That being said I'm always happy to try new things and I try not to be inflexible, if jerrys has success using a 5 man squad plus Lone Wolf I'd love to know and I might try it out once or twice.

Well the lone wolf less so. Im currently running 3 5man gh squads in asscan razors. Two rune priests in there and the third has an imperial space marine. Theyre really just support units to gey the rps in smite position and the imp marine is pretty sweet at taking down multiwound models like death guard and characters.

with the lone wolf it is really only good if you termi armour him up and deep strike as this is useful to disrupt your opponents back field i.e. has to keep stuff back to keep his long range shooty units alive.   I also equip mine with thunder hammer/storm shield if he has armour that needs killing.

Edited by wilkco

Are they good for that? I used to do that with a dread-in-a-pod. But it seems like the lone wolves would die pretty fast. Plus, they don't have enough attacks to really threaten much... And are expensive (I think significantly more than the dread-in-a-pod was). I guess he could position himself to charge some basilisks or something and draw some fire. But I'd be happier using them that way if they cost half as much.

On the other hand, I guess he's a character, so you have some control over what's allowed to shoot at him. I'll look into this...

Edited by jerrys