Post-release roundtable: what worked? what didnt

Blackwinter

@Karhedronuk

I would only take -1 to hit weapons on people that already hit on 2+ if I can help it (so guys like wolf lords). The -1 to hit just costs you to much attacks to really be effective. esp if you only have 2 to begin with. If your worried about high toughness things I would rather take a Wolf Claw for +1 str and re-rolls to wound for half the price.

Depends on what you're hunting. The fixed 3 damage that a hammer provides is great for killing big things like knights or land raiders. Yes, it does have a -1 to hit but this can be mitigated to an extent with the inclusion of a wolf priest.

I have my own question for my fellow wolf brothers: how are you finding Razorbacks and Whirlwinds so far? I haven't fielded any yet and I am wondering how they hold up in this edition. My Whirlwind hasn't felt worth a pick in a list in years.

Razorbacks are doing well this edition. People like the twin assault cannon.

I haven't heard of anyone fielding whirlwinds. IMO they don't put enough damage out. 2d6 is okay but youre still rolling to his. So maybe 4-5 hits per unit. Blast weapons across the board don't seem as good.

Blast weapons across the board don't seem as good.

I kinda agree, however I found the Helfrost Disruptor of the Stormfang to be considerably stronger than in 7e. In fact, I prefer the gunship over the stormwolf unless I need a transport (I use enough bikes/jump packs that it isn't usually needed).

Razorbacks are doing well this edition. People like the twin assault cannon.

I haven't heard of anyone fielding whirlwinds. IMO they don't put enough damage out. 2d6 is okay but youre still rolling to his. So maybe 4-5 hits per unit. Blast weapons across the board don't seem as good.

Yeah those twin linked assault cannons are really filling in a nitch for firepower and lane control.

Well I haven't field any whirlwinds and to that reason its because I don't own any. I never felt the need to get one because I prefer to get up close to maximize my shooting and then charge into combat to finish them off. A classic space wolf strategy. There's also the fact I've used Long fangs to fill in the gap of long range support because they can fire a wide variety of heavy hitting weapons while being able to be boosted by Rune priests. 

That doesn't mean one shouldn't try them. 2d6 isn't bad if not a little too random. There's also the fact that vehicles can get killed rather quicker due to multi damage wounds compared to one wound models that can keep the multi damage limited to one model per unit and not carrying over. 

In 5th through 7th I considered WW's to be 'Large Blast Template Flamers with LONG range and indirect fire' and used them in that mindset to great success. 

Still have yet to get a game of 8th edition but I WILL be trying them. 

I'll let you know!

Whirlwinds were fun back in 6th and 7th ed, but were outclassed by the volume of shots put out by other units like Thunderfire Cannons and Wyvern artillery platforms. Given the randomness of the blast in template along with the cover shenanigans (when using the high strength template), the Wyvern just wasn't cost effective enough, though it was undeniably fun to have our own Large Blast. But lack of Twin link or volume of shots really sucked.

As mentioned, Twin Assault Cannon Razorbacks are very popular now, as even with BS 4+ when you move, that's still 6 shots hitting on average, more than twice the old Assault cannon every hit. The Twin Heavy Bolter version isn't bad either when you are on a budget, the longer range means you can comfortably snipe from behind cover. Haven't tried Heavy Flamer or Lasplas yet though.

When you are fighting slippery opponents like Tau or Eldar, Whirlwinds can really be worth their points. Stick them somewhere safe and use them to lob artillery at units that like to play hide-and-seek. When your opponent has a weakened squad hiding out of LOS but still guarding an objective, the ability to drop some ordnance out of the blue onto them is surprisingly handy.

@Karhedronuk

I would only take -1 to hit weapons on people that already hit on 2+ if I can help it (so guys like wolf lords). The -1 to hit just costs you to much attacks to really be effective. esp if you only have 2 to begin with. If your worried about high toughness things I would rather take a Wolf Claw for +1 str and re-rolls to wound for half the price.

I think you are right. Power Fists and Thunder hammers are likely to be relegated to WS2+ characters or units where a Wolf Priest is likely to be hanging around to provide a source of rerolls. I think the WGPLs for my Grey Hunters and possibly my Skyclaws will be toting Wolf Claws in future as they are more likely to be operating independently.

I've had extraordinary success with 5 2x Wolf Claw Terminator WG. Good at killing backfield vehicles and blobs thank to that magic S5. I'm still working on if they are good enough without a Wolf Priest but I won't get a game again until the weekend likely.  

I've had extraordinary success with 5 2x Wolf Claw Terminator WG. Good at killing backfield vehicles and blobs thank to that magic S5. I'm still working on if they are good enough without a Wolf Priest but I won't get a game again until the weekend likely.  

Have you faced counter dropping plasma? Because that is my biggest fear with Terminators. 

A good but expensive unit that is destroyed by 100 points of scions (Prime + 4 plasma command squad)

Have you faced counter dropping plasma? Because that is my biggest fear with Terminators.

A good but expensive unit that is destroyed by 100 points of scions (Prime + 4 plasma command squad)

I think its just something players are going to have to get used to I'm afraid. Stuff is going to die and it will probably be sudden. But if you are concerned storm caller is a pretty good defence against plasma at that volume only 8-9 shots.

But the more you spend to support them the harder the loss hits you.

I would like to try the 2X Wolf Claw terminators. I already assembled them for the previous Void Claw formation. But I think I'll drop them Turn 2 when the Wulfen are close enough to give reroll to charge in their aura, otherwise the terminators would be vulnerable to heavy weapons if they don't get into charging right away. Or drop pod Ragnar Blackmane nearby for same effect.

Hi Just got back in to W40K currently playing against a Friend that is Using Blood Angel we are sticking with a 1000 point army with Maelstrom battles until we get quicker at playing.

I have been taking Inquisitor Grey Fax as my Psyker in a Aux Detachment ( dominate can be good if your opponent have a charter with a good ranged weapon) and my main Space wolves army as a Battalion detachment.

I have a wolf lord and WGBL as my HQ options.  the troops are 1 5 man grey hunter and 1 five man blood claw  and one 6 man blood claw squad with WG .  add in a Long fang and WG terminator squad  (2 TH/SS  one wolf claw x2   and one x1 claw with assault cannon).  topping it off with a Razorback with heavy bolter.  So far I have 2 wins out of 3 the loss was down to me placing my deployment badly in our first match.

the bubble of 3 characters seems to be great with rerolls on failed hits and wounds and greyfax leadership 10 for all morale tests which any friendly unit can use if they are with in 6 ins. also if needed they can all use the razorback to move around as well.

We are using Battle forged army rules which means to include say a different chapter or ally in your army, you have to have a separate detachment i.e. you can not mix and match chapters or organisations and she is inquisition so second detachment for me :( 

thats good to know we where using the chapter parts as well so that a space wolve could not go in with blood angels and things like that.  one more command point  into the pot :) 

We are using Battle forged army rules which means to include say a different chapter or ally in your army, you have to have a separate detachment i.e. you can not mix and match chapters or organisations and she is inquisition so second detachment for me :sad.:

All units must share a keyword. In the this case Imperium. So any unit from Index Imperium 1 and 2 can be taken in the same detachment with no restrictions. Since all have the <Imperium> Keyword.

You can also have models from 2 different Chapters in the same detachment since they share the <Imperium>  keyword.

The only real limit is that stuff like Rites of Battle from a <Blood Angel> captain only applies to other <Blood Angel> models and not to the <Space Wolf>  standing next to him.

We are using Battle forged army rules which means to include say a different chapter or ally in your army, you have to have a separate detachment i.e. you can not mix and match chapters or organisations and she is inquisition so second detachment for me :sad.:

All units must share a keyword. In the this case Imperium. So any unit from Index Imperium 1 and 2 can be taken in the same detachment with no restrictions. Since all have the <Imperium> Keyword.

You can also have models from 2 different Chapters in the same detachment since they share the <Imperium>  keyword.

The only real limit is that stuff like Rites of Battle from a <Blood Angel> captain only applies to other <Blood Angel> models and not to the <Space Wolf>  standing next to him.

Exactly.

Tempting to build an inquisitor for my forces.

yeah the bubble with the WGBL and WL and put them in the middle of your 3 troops selections makes a nice hard pack. with the rerolls on hits  and wounds.  also with greyfax able to do 2 deny witch tests seems to be a tough nut to crack,  also they can all fit in a rhino if you want to put them together with thunder cav to have a fast moving group 

Tempting to build an inquisitor for my forces.

yeah the bubble with the WGBL and WL and put them in the middle of your 3 troops selections makes a nice hard pack. with the rerolls on hits  and wounds.  also with greyfax able to do 2 deny witch tests seems to be a tough nut to crack,  also they can all fit in a rhino if you want to put them together with thunder cav to have a fast moving group 

Its like a spearhead formation or mobile castle defense. 

What works? My ultimate hammer and anvil. Two squads of Wulfen, two axes, two shields/hammers, one claw. Two squads of WGTDA 3x hammer/shield, 1x claw, 1x Asscan/fist. Arjac. Logan. Move Wulfen up, deep strike in terminators. Keep them close enough to buff. Now you have rerollable charge distances if you need it. If you don't, +1 attack from Wulfen AND +1 attack from Arjac. Rerolling hits and wound rolls of 1. This list tabled DG twice, and smacked the crap out of titans at Sunday's Apoc game.