Initial Thoughts on 8th Edition.

Damo1701

Ok Brothers and Sisters.

I thought I would ramble a little on my initial experiences of 8th edition, after I have played 2 games.

So, first game was a Kill Points game, to try and get a feel for the rules.  Generally it went well, looking back, we discovered we both made a few mistakes and misremembered how things worked or what units had which saves.  However, I didn't face too much that caused me real issues.

I will say, though, guard automatically passing their orders seems rather broken, especially without access to Chapter Tactics.

I never saw much use of the new vehicle degradation tables during this game, as my vehicles never reached a bracket because they never received enough damage, or, I was destroying my opponent's vehicles with a single model or two.

+What doesn't make sense in 8th edition+

Flamers being able to automatically hit flyers when they are not hovering.

Multiple cases of overwatch if a unit isn't engaged in combat.

CP usage not being restricted to one of each kind per turn.  Per phase comes over as too powerful.

Morale punishes Low Ld/High numbers units unfairly.

5-man squads of marines with a sergeant are immune to morale if they lose less than 3 models in a given turn.

+ What I've Learned So Far+

Playing against Guard generally, means I'll get to go first.  Unless I'm facing an army like Knights, we Marines should generally get the first turn.  Might be tight against armies like Chaos.

Having an opponent fail to do any significant damage in their first turn can really throw them for the rest of the game.  The dice gods have not been kind to the guard in the last two games.

Never try and assault a Hellhound...  Never!  They kick out far too much damage...

As Raven Guard, we need something that enables us to get to the second turn (or first) relatively unscathed.

Sniper Scouts can punch well above their weight in terms of denying special rules by targeting characters.  Though they don't last long when targetted by a miffed punisher.

On the CP usage: It will likely be rare to see anyone with more than 10 CP in a game.

Sure, you can do a single reroll in each phase, but you'll burn through all your CP in 2 turns doing that.

Also, don't some Strategems cost 2 or 3 CP? In that case, you could burn through all of them in the first turn and have none left for the remainder of the game.

Being able to reroll a failed armor save in a combat that will determine the outcome of the game is pretty huge. But you can't do that if you used all your CP 3 turns ago.

You can even use different strategems in the same phase, so they add up to the re-roll if you want to count this way. :wink:

Edit:
What OP was writing about Imps and Hellhounds reminds me of a Youtube battle report I watched yesterday. (Even if they got a rule wrong, particulary no being allowed to attack an opponent one didn’t declare charging.

Edited by Kua

So, I have a different list to run through things here.

+++ Alt Raven Guard (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [105 PL, 1980pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [105 PL, 1980pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 96pts]: Power fist, Storm bolter

Chaplain [6 PL, 90pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 90pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout: Sniper rifle
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [6 PL, 90pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 93pts]
. 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 93pts]
. 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 167pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Multi-melta

Sternguard Veteran Squad [7 PL, 173pts]
. Space Marine Veteran: Combi-melta
. Space Marine Veteran w/Heavy Weapon: Meltagun
. Veteran Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-melta

Tartaros Terminator Squad [13 PL, 273pts]
. Tartaros Sergeant: Chainfist, Plasma blaster
. Tartaros Terminator: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. Tartaros Terminator w/Heavy Weapon: Chainfist, Reaper autocannon

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 96pts]: Jump Pack
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Plasma pistol

Assault Squad [6 PL, 96pts]: Jump Pack
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Lightning Claw
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Plasma pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [7 PL, 105pts]
. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 318pts]: Twin lascannon, Twin multi-melta, Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 100pts]: Twin assault cannon

Razorback [5 PL, 100pts]: Twin assault cannon

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Now, after the disappointing news from GW about the future of Primaris Marines, at least for the time being, I'm not going to stretch myself to get them painted or games played with them other than against the Deathguard in the Dark Imperium box.  With that in mind, I am going to be looking to get the most out of my basic marines.

I'm hoping that with some tweaking, I can find a decent loadout for my marines.  I might look at switching my melta tacticals back in in place of the Plasma tacticals.  However, I'm currently looking at rate of fire with decent power for the time being.  One of the sniper squads will go towards being replaced by a lascannon devastator squad, hopefully by the end of the week.