Base trophies, awards, marks of valor, etc?

How do you show your crusade's achievements?

I haven't played any games yet as I'm brand new, but I plan to use the following guidelines for any models that show an act of valor...

For being the last man standing in a squad and not failing moral: a shoulder shield badge.

For killing an enemy HQ: a base trophy related to the enemy army. Ex: an ork bit for killing an ork HQ etc.

For killing a witch (psyker): the model's weapons get painted gold.

For misc acts of extreme bravery, valor, and zeal, a purity seal.

I will be using base trophies, purely because it can get confusing between say terminator honours that were given but not earned, precast purity seals, etc. I think keeping it to the base better shows the accumulated honours.

Typically when a model does well in my crusade he earns himself a name (if he doesn't have one already) and then his story is recorded. If he continues to perform well or does something spectacular I might give him an extra purity seal or something

I put kill markings on some, especially on heavy weapons,.

Although I've thought about putting bits of the slain on the bases, I usually talk myself out of that "You're fighting Orks, what's that Tyranid arm mean?"

I do really like your other ideas, though burning a witch is its own reward.

Good point. It'd be weird to have and iron ork jaw on the base if I'm fighting Tau. Maybe I'll hang trophy's from the squad's Rhino or LRC. Like I said, I haven't played yet so how common are the feats of valor that I mentioned? Will my guys be absolutely festooned with shoulder shields for being the last man standing without failing morale? I feel like that would be pretty rare. Rare enough that it warrants an award.

Edited by ChaplainMatthias

Will my guys be absolutely festooned with shoulder shields for being the last man standing without failing morale

This should be your fervent hope and prayer before every game. :)