Cato Sicarius Dead?

beefeb

Seems to be. Here's the passage so you can make up your own mind. I think it's correct but it's tricky to read in places.

"While the Ultramarines Primarch organised what was to become the Indomitus Crusade, the Great Rift tore the galaxy asunder. Fearing for Ultramar, Guilliman sent to safeguard his realm.much of the task force of Ultramarines and Successor Chapters that had accompanied him to Terra. With them went/were the first Primaris Ultramarines, for Archmagos Cawl had begun to open his secret vaults. The small armada - commanded by Captain Sicarius and dubbed Fleet Avenger - ran into warp storms the like of which had not been seen since the Age of Strife. With the fleet becalmed/battered and split apart, Sicarius signaled for each ship to make it's own way back to Macragge, the inteferrance proving/growing so bad he feared many would not recieve the message. Sicarius' own strike cruiser, The Emperor's Will, was still in the warp when the Astronomicon failed and went black. Amidst the tidal waves of psychic energies that cascaded randomly across all star systems, one last transmission was recieved from the Emperor's Will. The fragmentary message was accompanied by disturbing images, and only one sentence could be made clear; "They have breached the hull, they are here." Fully half of the Fleet Avenger reached Ultramar bringing with them their precious cargo, but of The Emperor's Will there remains no sign."

When does the Astronomicon fail? I thought it was fairly early on in the new background, not long after Guilliman's awakening but I'd need to check. That might give us a clue as to exactly when these events happened.

Maybe by the time the Indomitus Crusade finishes 100 years later he's returned from his time in the Warp. None of the other background on his page seems  to mention his return, in fact the ending of the above passage and the quote from Calgar imply that he's still missing. Again though, it's hard to make out some of it.

Seems to be. Here's the passage so you can make up your own mind. I think it's correct but it's tricky to read in places.

"While the Ultramarines Primarch organised what was to become the Indomitus Crusade, the Great Rift tore the galaxy asunder. Fearing for Ultramar, Guilliman sent to safeguard his realm.much of the task force of Ultramarines and Successor Chapters that had accompanied him to Terra. With them went/were the first Primaris Ultramarines, for Archmagos Cawl had begun to open his secret vaults. The small armada - commanded by Captain Sicarius and dubbed Fleet Avenger - ran into warp storms the like of which had not been seen since the Age of Strife. With the fleet becalmed/battered and split apart, Sicarius signaled for each ship to make it's own way back to Macragge, the inteferrance proving/growing so bad he feared many would not recieve the message. Sicarius' own strike cruiser, The Emperor's Will, was still in the warp when the Astronomicon failed and went black. Amidst the tidal waves of psychic energies that cascaded randomly across all star systems, one last transmission was recieved from the Emperor's Will. The fragmentary message was accompanied by disturbing images, and only one sentence could be made clear; "They have breached the hull, they are here." Fully half of the Fleet Avenger reached Ultramar bringing with them their precious cargo, but of The Emperor's Will there remains no sign."

When does the Astronomicon fail? I thought it was fairly early on in the new background, not long after Guilliman's awakening but I'd need to check. That might give us a clue as to exactly when these events happened.

Maybe by the time the Indomitus Crusade finishes 100 years later he's returned from his time in the Warp. None of the other background on his page seems  to mention his return, in fact the ending of the above passage and the quote from Calgar imply that he's still missing. Again though, it's hard to make out some of it.

I think its because the fluff script 8th Edition Codex SM was written before Dark Imperium. It could be an accident.

I prefer to believe its a setup for another story though. Remember that the Maccrage's Honour was left in the hands of the Red Corsairs at the end of Gathering Storm but was back in Ultramarine hands at the end of the Indomitus Crusade?

Perhaps the two events are tied. With Cato coming back with the MH.

I believe I read somewhere that it failed when the Great Rift appeared. The warp storms battered it and blotted it out with their intensity. It is still shining now that the warp energy abated somewhat, but I'm pretty sure it can no longer be seen on the other side of the Rift.

It does look like Galenus is no longer with us, as the Firth Company Captain is now Phelian (Dark Imperium p. 130).

NOOOOOOOOO

I sincerely hope he isn't dead ;-; He was a pretty forgettable character at first but he plays a crucial role in the Space Marines Battles novels with the Ultramarines. They really made me like him.

The Plagues of Orath and Legends of the Space Marines: Cassius really fleshes him out as a character: Quiet, somewhat boring personality but an absolute legend when it comes to strategic planning and logistics

Odd that it's still Galenus in the Codex. I assume the Codex is up to date as Acheron, not Sicarius is Captain of the 2nd.

Also, what happened to Fabian? As Ventris appears to now be canon, does that mean Fabian's gone? His Thunderhawk was blown out of the Sky in the aftermath of the Bloodborn invasion of Ultramar in the Ventris series (I think it actually happened in one of the short stories, but I'm almost certain it was referenced in another).

Hopefully the new edition will have a complete Ultramarines Company line-up like they've done in every other Space Marine Codex which will allow us to see what's going on.

Fabian is still in command of the 3rd according to the Codex, which is fantastic news as he's one of the originals from 2nd ed and to be honest, McNeill's treatment of him in the Telion short story was abysmal. Then again, McNeill's treatment of any Ultramarine who isn't one of his non-Codex edgelords is terrible.

Sicarius' "fate"*

siccy.jpg

*Either this is just a part of a thing and he returns just a few days later anyway, or the events of the Dark Imperium novel are completely false.

When you look at the events mentioned in the new codex and the DI novel there is an approx 100 year gap between Sicarius's disappearance and the Events of the novel. Cato probably drifted around in the Warp for a bit, had a bromance with Draigo while there and then returned to dad's place for dinner after xx years because of Warp time shenanigans.