Starting a second army: Deathguard and Chaos

micahwc

I'm about done assembling my Imperium army and have a good start painting it, but I realized that I both needed more guard models and that I wanted a bad guy army to play sometimes, so....

I ordered a second box of Warzone Mutant Chronicles 2nd Edition, and a set of the Nurgle half of Dark Imperium.

This will give me 63 cultists made from Warzone minis, 3 groups of 7 which are in turn made of 3 groups of 7 models. Not sure what possessed me to start a second army before finishing the first, but I'll have enough stuff to get a game in even if I have to provide both sides.

I'd welcome any advice on what to get next for this. I'm thinking a dark apostle would be nice to buff the cultists. I'll need some heavy firepower as well, but I'm not particularly familiar with chaos. I haven't collected Chaos since like 5th edition.

Edited by micahwc

I ordered 60 snapfit marines for a decent price. I'm hoping a lot of greenstuff will help nurgleize them well. I also accidently ordered the Forgeworld chaos index instead of the regular chaos index. I shouldn't buy things online when I haven't slept. Seeing the rules for the scorpios, and having two scorpios tanks painted up as Sisters of Battle Exorcists got me thinking about adding them to my chaos army.

So far I have this to work with.

• 1 Plague Lord (I think I could do a Typhus conversion easily with this guy)
  • 1 Plague Caster
  • 1 bell guy
  • 20 pox walkers
  • 60 snap fit bolter marines
  • 2 Valkyries
  • approximately 60-80 WW1 British inspired sci-fi infantry (80 models, but 20 are sergeant or heavy weapon poses that are different)
  • 2 Scorpios tanks
  • 3 rhino/razorback/predator tanks.
  • Whatever artillery emplacements I can kitbash, looking at Earthshaker batteries and Quad Launchers.

Currently looking at using the Plague marines as chosen, and converting the snapfits to plague marines. Maybe using some extra snapfits to make champions, sorcerors, etc. I think I'll use the infantry to make 4 squads of heretic Veterans with grendade launchers/flamers, since I have a bunch of those left over from my scions. I'll Nurgleize my rhinos and scorpios'. I may or may not use 1 or both Valkyries for my heretics, it depends on whether I want them for my scions or not.

I

Started painting deathguard and infantry.

http://i.imgur.com/XnFP8jU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cEJkxd2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XzIiaxH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KG125uI.jpg

Worked some more on the drone. My snap fits arrived so I got them all assembled on the sprue. I like assembling snap fits, they go so much faster and I don't have to deal with glueing arms on. I've got 60 of them, all with bolters. Time to break out the green stuff.

Started working on a combined chaos list. For 2000 points I have three detachments.

Deathguard Battalion detachment +3 Command Points, 900ish points

• Typhus
  • Malignant Plague Caster
  • 7 plague marines
  • 7 plague marines
  • 7 pox walkers
  • Bloat Drone
  • Noxious Blight Bringer

Renegades and Hereteks Vanguard Detachment, +1 Command Point, 600ish points

• Malefic Lord
  • Renegade Marauder Squad x7, Heretek discipline, autoguns
  • Earthshaker Battery x 3
  • Heavy Quad Launcher with crew x 2

Chaos Company Detachment, 0 Command Points, 464 points

• Malefic Lord
  • Hellforged Scorpius
  • Hellforged Scorpius

I think this works out. The rules for the Hellforged Scorpius confuse me a bit; as they say they can take the "Legion" keyword, but the rules for the deathguard legion specifically list which units can take the deathguard legion, and it doesn't include any of the forgeworld stuff. Otherwise I'd put the scorpius' in the deathguard section. My total right now is at 1956, so I have some room for upgrades.

Feedback welcomed. Thanks.

I ordered three Marx 88mm 1/35 scale German WW2 anti air guns to kitbash into Earthshakers. I also ordered a pair of WW2 German Nebelwerfers. I love saying that. Nebelwerfer, Nebelwerfer, Nebelwerfer. Stupid me ordered them in 1/76 instead of 1/35, so I'll probably have to order some larger ones. These will become Quad (Hex?) launchers. The Marx guns were only like $7 each, and they look a lot like an Earthshaker platform.

I'm trying to decide what weapon to run on the marauders. I am giving consideration to shotguns over autoguns. I'm planning on using them to bubble wrap the big guns, and with shotguns they can withdraw from close combat and shoot twice at strength 4 (assault 2, +1 strength at half range).

The Marx guns I ordered arrived last night. I got them assembled. They are only three pieces, the gun is in two halves and there is a base to attach the gun to. The gun rotates, but doesn't elevate. It's a cheap plastic 1/35 model of a German 88mm flak gun from WW2, it looks similar to an Earthshaker cannon and with some modeling I'm sure it will be a decent proxy. Best part about it is that three of them were about $25 shipped.

The gun is hollow and the base for the gun is open on the bottom. I plan on filling the base with miliput to help weigh it down. I may put some green stuff in the gun itself as well to give it some heft.

I'm thinking that I will put it on a base and not glue the crew to it, I won't put chaos symbols on the actual gun. This way I can swap out Loyalist/Traitor crew and use them for both my Imperium and Chaos armies. I can magnetize slots for the crew to fit. If I put slots for 7 crew members (a proper Nurgle number) I can use the crew as wound counters. 7 is also a reasonable number for a towed artillery crew; I know this from experience. We shot with as few as three on occasion, but I think 6 was the minimum "legal" number of crew, and 10 was ideal.

The nevelwerfers arrived and are definitely too small to use as quad launchers; however, they are about perfect for using as Havoc missile launchers on my two Scorpius tanks.

The army list above is probably what I'll aim for, with the FAQ from forgeworld I can get rid of the third detachment and move the Scorpius tanks up to the Deathguard detachment.

I've had family visiting for the past week and my wife has been on a home improvement binge so I haven't made any progress on any of my armies in that time; I have however replaced several doors, multiple locks (1 key for all our doors now), a couple of light fixtures, and some drywall.

I've had family visiting for the past week and my wife has been on a home improvement binge so I haven't made any progress on any of my armies in that time; I have however replaced several doors, multiple locks (1 key for all our doors now), a couple of light fixtures, and some drywall.

Pics or it didn't happen

In all seriousness, I want to see those Marx guns made into proper earthshaker batteries! I have been looking at various scales but have been hesitant to pull the trigger and get some without actually seeing good comparative shots.

I'll try to post pics tonight. They are still very much a work in progress but I have them on base. The base has wall filler and sand applied. While the wall filler was wet I took a Tempestus Scion I had nearby and pushed it down 7 times in the wall filler to make a space on each base for seven crew models to represent wounds. I don't have a real earthshaker to compare size with but the Marx guns look pretty spot on for 40k scale. They are 1/35.

As far as the manticore batteries idea, I didn't glue the gun into the platform for the Earthshakers and I am pretty sure I have a dowel that will fit the hole for the gun, I could convert some manticore launcher's fairly easily I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Realized I don't want to run death guard and been attracted more recently to alpha legion. I got 30 marines assembled today. I found a great video on YouTube for painting them that I will be using. Video by epic duck studios.

Nice thing is I'm using loyalist models so I can run them as chaos and/or loyalists depending on my mood.

Realized I don't want to run death guard and been attracted more recently to alpha legion.

Truly you are a traitor's traitor.

I can appreciate a flexible army. I waffle between 'normal' IG and the FW renegade list when I want to leave my DG at home.

Looking forward to the results of your painting.

My paint should arrive today for them. I've got a bunch of bits on the way for conversions. 

I worked on the earthshakers some the last few days. I've installed a gun shield on the barrel just to the barrel side of the equilibrators*. I cut the barrel nub thingy off the front of all three, but they looked a bit stumpy. I drilled out one of them and installed a dowel to make the barrel length longer. I like how it turned out but I haven't taken pictures yet. I'm thinking of making a cardstock muzzle brake for them as well. 

My tentative list that I will have all the parts for is as follows:

Spearhead detachment, +1 command point. 1981 points. 101 power level

HQ

• Sorcerer with Force Sword, plasma pistol

Troops

• 30 cultists
  • 30 cultists

Elites

• 5 chosen, 5x plasma guns
  • 5 chosen, 5x plasma guns

Heavy Support

• 5 havoks, 4x missile launchers, power maul
  • Hellforged Scorpius, combi-bolter, combi-flamer
  • Hellforged Scorpius, combi-bolter, combi-flamer

Dedicated transports

• Rhino, combi-bolter, combi-flamer
  • Rhino, combi-bolter, combi-flamer

This is kind of intended as an all comers list that can be tailored later as needed. I've thought about swapping lascannons in for two squads of havoks, and heavy bolters for the other two squads, but I think the missile launchers will work out better.

The scorpius is expensive, but each can get 6d3 shots per turn that do 2 damage each, plus they look cool so they are staying. They also get a surprisingly large number of shots in overwatch and get better in close combat as they take wounds. 

Sorcerer will be casting prescience as often as possible for havoks.

Cultists are to rush forward, take objectives, and die to prove their worthiness to become future alpha legionaries. I've thought about reducing the cultists to 20 or 25 each, and using the extra points for either a dark apostle, or maybe a warpsmith to babysit the scorpius'. 

combi-flamers on the tanks are for overwatch. Chosen ride in the rhinos. 

*fancy name for the hydro shock looking things, they are typically filled with Nitrogen which can be compressed or decompressed to make the barrel easier to raise or easier to lower

This is the video I plan on following to paint everything. 

I am Alpharius

http://i.imgur.com/9q4dgan.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/g1xCB2d.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0LuaJLK.jpg

These are all snap fit monopose marines modified to hold plasma guns.

http://i.imgur.com/r4qOvNO.jpg

These are my Havok proof of concepts. I used a Dremel to amputate both shoulders, then I filed them flat and added missile launcher arms instead. These are again based on snapfits. I got 60 snap fits for $40 on eBay and am making use of them. I have 16 more missile launchers coming in the mail to use for conversions.