Starting a second army: Deathguard and Chaos

micahwc

New list idea, keeping the scorpius' home for now. Just a battalion detachment this time, but I added Icons to just about everything. Last time I went was a tournament and almost everyone had Imperium armies, so I've thrown an Icon of Excess on just about everything that can take it for the 5+ DttFE. Seriously, last time there was 1 Tyranid player and everything else was some form of Imperial.

HQ: These guys are mostly to help everything shoot better via prescience and the Lord's reroll 1 ability.

• Sorcerer
  • Lord

Elite:

• 5 chosen, 4 plasma, Icon of Excess
  • 5 chosen, 4 plasma, Icon of Excess

Troops

• 10 chaos marines, 2 heavy bolters, Icon of Excess

Heavy Support

• 5 Havoks, 4 missile launchers, Icon of Excess
  • 5 Havoks, 4 missile launchers, Icon of Excess
  • 5 Havoks, 4 Lascannons, Icon of Excess

Cant wait for the codex to drop so I can infiltrate the plasma and shoot the lascannons twice per turn.

Icon of excess is good but wasted on five man units of havocs, that unit only has six attack so on average you're getting one extra attack, not worth it. Not even great for standard marines with bolters either who don't do great in assaults. Now if you geared up one chosen unit for an assault then it would be solid but I think your list is good as is with the heavy plasma/missile focus.

Did some painting tonight. Also ordered 6 lascannons. Here is the group shot after the infamous battle of Ding Room Chair 3.

http://i.imgur.com/3NMGuF6.jpg

My sorcerer with force sword, plasma pistol, and snazzy cape

http://i.imgur.com/6VXl0nR.jpg

Sorcerer and Dark Apostle

http://i.imgur.com/gTtcZj1.jpg

Group shot of everything I have painted

http://i.imgur.com/0SjiyNj.jpg

So if I drop the icons off the chaos marines and havoks I free up 60 points. I'm not really sure what to do with the left over points other than to add numbers to the havoks to keep them firing longer.

Mmkay, tournament list take 3 or 4 or whatever.... 5 or 6 or whatever

Battalion detachment

Lord, plasma pistol, power axe

Lord, plasma pistol, power axe

Dark Apostle, plasma pistol, power maul

8 chosen, 5 plasma, combi-plasma on the champion, 2 with bolt pistols and chainswords, Icon of Excess

Rhino with combi-bolter, havok launcher

2x5 marines with 4 bolters and 1 heavy bolter

Rhino with combi-bolter, havok launcher

2x5 marines with 4 bolters and 1 heavy bolter

Rhino with combi-bolter, 2x combi-bolter

7 marines with 6 bolters and 1 heavy bolter

5 marines with 4 bolters and 1 heavy bolter

5 havoks with 4 missile launchers

5 havoks with 4 missile launchers

5 havoks with 4 lascannons

1500 points exactly.  Again 1500 even

Thoughts:

Chosen, Lord, and Dark Apostle and Lords give me something that can actually do damage in close combat if I need  it too, and with the rhino it gives me something to rush forward and grab a relic when required. 3 rhinos to help with target saturation, although each rhino is about the same price as 5 marines and 1 heavy bolter, so I can adjust as recommended. Havoks set up in different places so one assault can't keep all of them from firing for the turn. 

Alternatives: 

Swap the apostle for a sorcerer. I really want some psychic power if I can swing it; however I would need to free up about 40 points. So the squad of 7 marines would go down to 5 and the chosen would probably have to go down to 6 or 7. I would probably keep the sorcerer with the Havocs to cast prescience on them and to act as a close combat deterrent. 

For this game I think a second chaos Lord is a better choice than either an apostle or a sorcerer. The lord has better stats than either the apostle or the sorcerer, and every unit within 6" gets to re-roll 1's to hit, always. The apostle only gives this out during close combat, and the sorcerer has to make a psychic test of 7 to give it to 1 unit once per turn (granted at 18" range). A second lord is quite a bit less expensive than a sorcerer as well, and only a couple points more than the apostle. 

Depending on the game I may split the 2x5 squads and leave 5 back with a Havok squad to keep things from deep striking near them. 

Edited by micahwc

It might be worth it to chuck the apostle in favor of a sorcerer. Your list is very shooting oriented, and an apostle buffing a bunch of bolter guys or havocs with missile launchers probably won't be that stellar. Mortal wounds via smite can be very useful, as is having a chance at denying the witch. 

You don't need crushing superiority in the psychic phase, but having the capability to influence it is important.

Edited by Azekai

1 Lord, 1 sorcerer

8 plasma/combi-plasma chosen

25 marines, 5 heavy bolters

15 havoks, 8 missile, 4 lascannons

3 rhinos with no upgrades

Sorcerer casts prescience on the chosen so they can overcharge,  Lord hangs out with the lascannon team to buff their shooting and discourage close encounters. 

Edited by micahwc

Hmmm... what is the plan for the rhinos? I don't dislike them, not exactly, since they can be useful for blocking both LoS and assaults; but a big use of rhinos is getting things like 'zerkers and smashy characters into close combat, and you seem to want to sit back and shoot with this list. There is some amusing things you could do with your plasma squad and characters, but I am concerned that if they go in hot-dogging it, they might get torn apart.

I guess you could always hold the plasma in reserve to use against deepstriking threats. If you need to go on the offensive (like against Tau or Guard who may be a challenge to straight-up outshoot), you could throw the chosen out there and anything that looks like it might hit them back you charge with the rhinos. Then the enemy has to fall back and can't shoot or attack your chosen, and if you clump up your rhinos you might even be able to deny LoS on them.

Rhinos are for the third round.

Round 1: Retrieval, Dawn of War deployment. 

• 4 objectives to take and I get to place 2 of them. If I place my two as closely as possible it may be possible (terrain dependent) to set up a firebase that covers both of them well; in which case I just need to get first blood and match on slay the warlord and/or breakthrough. Rhinos may be helpful to get to objectives here, or just to block LOS to things, or get breakthrough if they are still alive at the end. 

Round 2: Secure and Control, Frontline Assault deployment

• Basically the same as above but only one objective on each side. Shouldn't be a problem to set up a firebase and if I go first I am fairly confident I can get first blood by shooting at the weakest thing on the opponents table side. Rhinos here are mostly a distraction, LOS blocker, and attempt to get line breaker. 

Round 3: Relic, Search and Destroy deployment

• The chosen, Lord, and sorcerer start in a rhino 9" away from the relic. 20 marines start in rhinos as close as possible to the relic. All three rush just past the relic and disembark. Sorcerer grabs the relic and runs, and then warptimes during the psychic phase to run more. Havoks provide cover and somewhere for him to run to. Lord, chosen, 20 marines, and 3 rhinos perform Operation Doorstop. 

Cool, sounds like you have done your homework as far as missions are concerned! Are you confident about getting first turn? You have a fair few squads but part of that can be mitigated during setup by sticking things in rhinos, including characters, I'd imagine. 

Taking a sorc with Warptime sounds like a very solid way to win 'seize the Relic' style missions.

No idea. I'll try to sieze and use a command point if I have too, but it's kind of uncertain. Good news; the ePub version of the new codex is available tomorrow according to warhamerdigital.com, so I will be using the new codex. I don't think it will change a lot of my list but it will give me some better powers to choose from, strategems to choose from, and relics. Sweet. Also a -1 to hit my Alpha Legion Havoks, who will be able to use the strategem to shoot twice a turn. 

Alpha Legion trickery should do wonders for keeping your backline alive- just in the nick of time too.... funny how that works out. Hydra Dominatus!
Is a counts-as Arkos the Faithless worth having (or is FW even tourney sanctioned)? He gives extra command points, which seems very enticing for things like relics, infiltration, or more shooting for the plasma.

Forgeworld is explicitly allowed. 

I'm thinking now that I can probably remove a rhino from my list. I can strategem infiltrate the chosen and light up a target with 6 rapid fire plasma guns first turn. 

Okay. I think I'm going to drop the rhinos in favor of more marines, as I have some ideas.

Forward infiltrate the chosen with the Alpha Legion stratagem, place chosen 9.1 inches away from target before game starts. Turn 1, move closer, Endless Cacophony Slanesh stratagem to fire twice. 6 plasma guns rapid fire into target twice for 24 plasma shots. Veteran's of the Long War stratagem for +1 to wound rolls. It cost like 4 command points but it will do a lot of damage first shooting phase, and then the chosen can charge.  

New list. 2 Detachments. 8 command points

Detachment 1: Spearhead detachment, +1 command point

Lord Arkos, +1 command point

8 chosen as above

15 Havoks as above

Detachment 2: Battalion detachment

Sorcerer as above

Lord as above

6x 5 marines as above

I'm kind of tempted to make the second detachment World Eaters instead of Alpha Legion for the chapter tactic of +1 attack to all infantry. All my basic marines would be twice as good in close combat. Problem is I wouldn't feel right taking a World Eater's sorcerer (although I think it is technically legal), so I'd have to look into swapping it out for a second Lord.

Got rid of the rhinos for more bodies, as Lord Arkos can infiltrate and the Alpha Legion stratagem to forward infiltrate units will be good. I may actually do 3x10 marines instead of 6x5 so I'll get more models for the price of one stratagem if I infiltrate them.

Alpha Legion warlord trait means I can throw Arkos at anything really hard without worrying about slay the warlord. His sword is ridiculous for 0 points, and is one of the few 3 damage melee weapons available to Chaos.

Round 1 and 2 I'll hold my objectives and try to get first blood and slay the warlord. I wont have to worry about losing my warlord as I will likely be tabled if they go through all 13 characters in my army.

Round 3 I will infiltrate Arkos on the relic, and spend 5 command points to put 20 marines and 8 chosen up front with him. He grabs relic and runs, sorcerer warp times him.

Okay. I think I'm going to drop the rhinos in favor of more marines, as I have some ideas.

Forward infiltrate the chosen with the Alpha Legion stratagem, place chosen 9.1 inches away from target before game starts. Turn 1, move closer, Endless Cacophony Slanesh stratagem to fire twice. 6 plasma guns rapid fire into target twice for 24 plasma shots. Veteran's of the Long War stratagem for +1 to wound rolls. It cost like 4 command points but it will do a lot of damage first shooting phase, and then the chosen can charge.

New list. 2 Detachments. 8 command points

Detachment 1: Spearhead detachment, +1 command point

Lord Arkos, +1 command point

8 chosen as above

15 Havoks as above

Detachment 2: Battalion detachment

Sorcerer as above

Lord as above

6x 5 marines as above

I'm kind of tempted to make the second detachment World Eaters instead of Alpha Legion for the chapter tactic of +1 attack to all infantry. All my basic marines would be twice as good in close combat. Problem is I wouldn't feel right taking a World Eater's sorcerer (although I think it is technically legal), so I'd have to look into swapping it out for a second Lord.

Got rid of the rhinos for more bodies, as Lord Arkos can infiltrate and the Alpha Legion stratagem to forward infiltrate units will be good. I may actually do 3x10 marines instead of 6x5 so I'll get more models for the price of one stratagem if I infiltrate them.

Alpha Legion warlord trait means I can throw Arkos at anything really hard without worrying about slay the warlord. His sword is ridiculous for 0 points, and is one of the few 3 damage melee weapons available to Chaos.

Round 1 and 2 I'll hold my objectives and try to get first blood and slay the warlord. I wont have to worry about losing my warlord as I will likely be tabled if they go through all 13 characters in my army.

Round 3 I will infiltrate Arkos on the relic, and spend 5 command points to put 20 marines and 8 chosen up front with him. He grabs relic and runs, sorcerer warp times him.

Is it worth trying to find the points for a fourth HQ? That way you can split your six CSM squads across two battalion detachments instead of a spearhead and a battalion, and net yourself an extra 2CPs

Is it worth trying to find the points for a fourth HQ? That way you can split your six CSM squads across two battalion detachments instead of a spearhead and a battalion, and net yourself an extra 2CPs

Just grab a single Malefic Lord... 35 points of psychic horror for the enemies of the Chaos Gods! Not hard to proxy either, any suitably ragged psyker without power armor will do.

Ignore the paint, as I haven't repainted yet; but I present Lord Arkos:

http://i.imgur.com/cSmxHZ1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XMHDRdM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MBimytI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dQKKy5j.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HFGrFpG.jpg

Dirty tricks for my upcoming tournament.

Take one unit of lascannon Havoks, give them the mark of Slanesh. Take one sorcerer with the mark of Nurgle and the psychic powers Prescience, and Misasma of pestilence.

Cast Misasma of pestilence and prescience on the Havoks.

Use 2 command points for Endless Cacophony, and 1 command point for Veterans of the Long War on the Havoks.

Havoks now add 1 to all their wounds and 1s to all their hits and they fire twice this turn. Anything shooting at them has a -1 to hit from Miasma of pestilence, a -1 to hit if they are over 12" away from them being Alpha Legion, and a further -1 to hit if they are in cover. 8 lascannon shots at what amounts to BS 2+ with +1 to wound.

Tournament list is as follows:

Spearhead detachment, +1 command point

Lord Arkos, +1 command Point

9 chosen, 5 plasma, 1 combi-plasma, 3 bolt pistol/chainswords, Mark of Slanesh, Icon of Excess

5 havoks, 4 missile launchers, Mark of Slanesh

5 havoks, 4 missile launchers, Mark of Slanesh

5 havoks, 4 lascannons, Mark of Slanesh

Battalion detachment, +3 command points

Sorcerer, Plasma pistol, force sword, mark of nurgle. Powers will be Miasma of pestilence and prescience, may be swapped out for warptime via familiar stratagem.

Lord, plasma pistol, chainsword, Blade of the Hydra relic, probably going to accompany either the lascannon havoks or the chosen for the rerolls.

30 chaos marines with 6 heavy bolters, either 3x10 or 6x5, not sure what would be better yet.

Warlord will be Lord Arkos, with the "I am Alpharius" warlord trait.

Trying to decide if I want to break up the heavy bolters into another havoc squad or leave them with the troops.