Starting a second army: Deathguard and Chaos

micahwc

Here is a slightly more doucheier version of the above. Three detachments. No brigade, but two battalions and a supreme command detachment. I lose out on my chaos spawn and marauders, but I gain 3 more Malefic Lords and 2 heavy bolters. It also gives me a 30 man unit of cultists to infiltrate instead of just 10 man units.

Detachment 1, RnH, Battalion Detachment. +3 command points

Malefic Lord

Malefic Lord

Malefic Lord

10x cultists

10x cultists

10x cultists

Earthshaker Battery

Earthshaker Battery

Earthshaker Battery

Detachment 2, RnH, Supreme Command Detachment, +1 command point

Malefic Lord

Malefic Lord

Malefic Lord

Detachment 3, Alpha Legion, Battalion Detachment, +3 command points

Chaos Lord, bolt pistol, power fist

Chaos Sorcerer, bolt pistol, force sword

30x cultists

5x Chaos marines, heavy bolter

5x Chaos marines, heavy bolter

5x Havoks, 4x Lascannons

5x Havoks, 4x Missile Launchers

5x Havoks, 4x Missile Launchers

Pros over the previous list: More smite, More chances for Malefic Lords to hulk out. 2 extra heavy bolters. A large group of cultists to infiltrate/tide of traitors. More heavy weapons than previous list. Cost less command points to mass infiltrate.

Cons: No sniper rifles, lose 4 units of marauders and three chaos spawn. Less bodies on the field. "Only" 10 command points instead of 13.

Edited by micahwc

My AoS Khorne Blood Reivers arrived last night. I got all 40 put together. I think they will look great as Khorne dedicated cultists with brutal assault weapons. My DV chosen with axe and chosen with mace also arrived. They will be my Exalted Champion with Power Axe (Axe of the blind furry) and Dark Apostle with power maul (the Mace of Color).

Sad news. I was asked to reschedule a commitment and I will not be able to participate in the tournament.

Badger 105 will arrive tomorrow so I'll start painting again then. I need to prime and base coat a lot of models. The airbrush makes it easy as I can literally do 40 miniatures in a batch quickly, and the paint goes on smoothly. its also great for vehicles. I can not get even coats on tanks with a brush no matter how much I've tried. Airbrush does it so much better and faster.

Sorry to hear you have to miss the tournament - it sounds like you were pretty excited for it and you've certainly been gearing up for it for a while. But hopefully the next opportunity rolls around soon.

In the meantime, those earth shaker guns are mighty impressive - can't wait to see them painted up

Well turns out I looked at the calendar wrong. I'll still get to play. Yay.

Next problem is I have to finish painting my army in less than 3 days without an airbrush. Airbrush is supposed to arrive today, but I got an e-mail saying it "may be delayed" from Amazon. I have 40 blood reivers and 3 malefic lords that need complete painting, 20 cultists that are basecoated and washed but need accent colors, and 10 more chaos marines that need to get finished. I really hope that airbrush arrives today.

Some chaos spawn

http://i.imgur.com/UZQHM7A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xDHthMJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zXYy3dw.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/j4ExvJr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N8lLn6c.jpg

And in this pic you can see my last 10 devestators and 40 cultists with brutal assault weapons.

http://i.imgur.com/VKkmHY7.jpg

yeah, crypt horrors make a good basis for chaos spawn, though the bone clubs and bone piercings are a bit odd.  Maybe fine for night lords, but I'd consider removing them for other legions.  A few extra spines & tenticles taken from the actual spawn kit would go a long ways, too.  The bodies from that kit are terrible, but all the flailing doo-dads you're supposed to attach to them are pretty good, good enough that I think it would be worth getting about one spawn box for every two horror boxes.

I think my spawn are all just misunderstood loyalists. The one with club wants to play baseball. The one with the book is returning it to the local library. The one hunched over with his hand over his stomach is sick and needs to see an apothecary.

I think my spawn are all just misunderstood loyalists. The one with club wants to play baseball. The one with the book is returning it to the local library. The one hunched over with his hand over his stomach is sick and needs to see an apothecary.

What? Play baseball? You mean he has time to do something else besides working or fighting for humanity? Slaanesh cultist confirmed! Burn the heretic!

The other one? Obviously Tzeentch cultist, d'uh!

And the last one is clear as day a Nurgle cultist. :P

Got a lot done tonight. Did some details on the spawn, got all the havoks green/blue, did the havoks chest eagles, got my exalted champion and Dark apostle green/blue, started over on my cultists because they were really annoying me, and finished the earthshakers.

Played three matches. Lost three matches. Each one worse than the one before. First match was called due to time, a another turn and I would have tied, I killed 1100 points and he killed 1100 points. Game 2 went two turns before running out of time against conscript spam. I lost, and killed 89 points of models in the process. Round three I was tabled and only killed 4 grey knights.

First match was against guard with Yarrik, 2 wyverns, a vendetta and a bane hammer, as well as a special weapon squad, a lord Commisar, and two infantry squads. By the end of his second turn I had lost all my earthshakers and lascannons. To lucky missile hits took 11 wounds off the superheavy, and a combination of smite and warp flux killed it and the Valkyrie off. Ran out of time with my opponent holding two objectives and first blood, to my two objectives. Both his objectives where held by only one person, I had my malefic lords, lord, and sorcerer alive. Had we not run out of time I am confident I could have at least tied it up in turn four and probably tabled him by six. I don't think I played aggressively on this one.

Round two was against blob guard. Six infantry squads and 2 conscript squads backed up with leman rises and Commisars. We had a two hour time limit and it took over an hour for him to do his first turn. I infiltrated 30 cultists and my lord. He killed all the cultists but the lord made it into close combat and tanked everything for two turns. I got one valkyrie down to 1 wound remaining and the other down to 8. We only played two turns before we ran out of time, I think I would have done well had we played longer as I had all my havoks and malefic lords and a sorcerer. Game ended with us each having one objective and he got first blood.

Round three was against grey knights and it was basically over as soon as my opponent chose his deployment zone. There was a large imperial building (bastion maybe?) that had a curved section on the end. The deployment was the one where you have opposite corners and there is a 9" circle no mans land in the middle. The circular part of the terrain was in that circle about perfectly and it blocked off the relic from my side. I infiltrated my lord, sorcerer, and 30 cultists on the relic but they were basically completely cut off from the rest of my army. I killed four grey knights total, one of which was brought back from the dead with an apothecary. I was tabled on turn 4.

Hilariously bad rolling all day. Repeatedly rolling 1s for damage or re-rolling with a command point and rolling a 1.

Round 1 I killed 1100 points of stuff, leaving a lone guardsman, Yarrick, and two wyverns alive.

Round 2 I only killed 89 points of stuff, most of that from my lord in combat, but I put 18 wounds on two valkyries.

Round 3 I killed just over 100 points of models with 8 missile launchers, 4 lascannons, 3 earthshakers, and 7 people casting smite.

Malefic lords were MVPs all day. They killed a super heavy tank, a vendetta, and put a lot of wounds on two valkyries. They were also really good at shutting down grey knight psychic powers.

Edited by micahwc