Command Points

CrystalSeer

With the introduction of command points, how are people finding them? How often do you utilize them and when? What is a solid number for army composition?

I initially thought they'd be really important but anything over 7-8 seem to be kind of a waste.

Yeah 6-8 seems like the sweet spot. Some builds may be command point hungry just to shore up weaknesses of their list, I find it an interesting concept to have a list built around using your CPs as often as possible to maximize your army's strategy instead of just using them as an "uh oh" re-roll.

Let's say that Tyb's strategy is to build an army with as much plasma as possible and rely heavily on overcharged shots to deal damage.  That's a lot of chances to roll 1's and start losing models.  He can mitigate that risk by including multiple buff characters with the re-roll 1's abilities, but even they can't be everywhere.  What can be everywhere, however, is the Stratagem that allows you to spend a CP to re-roll a die.

Ergo, a strategy of using CPs.

Another example of a command point strategy would be big gun spam. Allows you to reroll the d6 which determines how many shots you get.

Once the Codices start coming out, I think we'll see way more command point oriented strategies, as every army begins to get Stratagems of their own. 

Another example of a command point strategy would be big gun spam. Allows you to reroll the d6 which determines how many shots you get.

Once the Codices start coming out, I think we'll see way more command point oriented strategies, as every army begins to get Stratagems of their own. 

Yea i hope thats the case, thus far its either rerolls or abilities that attempt to stop/slow a curb stomp.

OK, I see. But the important part would be then: Holding back CP for using them for plasma.

Because taking much plasma would work anyway with the plasmagun being quite good currently, there is not much strategy behind. ;)

Another example would be large units (especially of Necron Warriors) and holding back 2 CP for morale auto-pass. + regeneration buffs in case of Necs.

But again: Self-repairing Necs are something you would use in large units or not at all anyway, so it’s down to sensible CP management but it’s not a strategy solely enabled by CP.

I’m afraid for real strategic synergies we’ll have to wait for codices, because the whole idea of the general 3 strategems is to be universally useful and not prioritizing some specific strategy