Tau experimental cadre WIP

depthcharge12

"The silent hunter, gets the prey..."

-Kauyon way of War

Hello fellow blue skinned comrades - here begins the plog of my wrathful blueberries!!! I am currently painting up and stripping my old models to achieve this scheme:

WzBriWf.jpg

I have picked up Shas'o R'alai from an EBay win and I absolutely love his model and paint scheme. It tempts me to do Dalyth, but I'm tossing and turning over how to do their sept colors with their armor being the same color as their sept markings. I am also torn to do Fal'shia because they are pretty much the Tau's guinea pigs for all the new prototype weapons...and boy do I love me some fancy FW and GW suits!!! :D

Edited by depthcharge12

I think you need some more contrast between your armor plates and other metal (or whatever material it is) parts like the joints, weapon barrel, air intakes etc.

For my models I went with black and drybrushed necron compound but there are several other methods to paint those parts without making it look too shiny. GW for example just goes with grey and some edge highlighting iirc.

A fine black line between the armor plates would improve the look as well but rather hard to do so it's usually better to basecoat black and just don't paint that part with your armor color.

I think you need some more contrast between your armor plates and other metal (or whatever material it is) parts like the joints, weapon barrel, air intakes etc.

For my models I went with black and drybrushed necron compound but there are several other methods to paint those parts without making it look too shiny. GW for example just goes with grey and some edge highlighting iirc.

A fine black line between the armor plates would improve the look as well but rather hard to do so it's usually better to basecoat black and just don't paint that part with your armor color.

Thanks for the advice! They are definitely still WIP...

I was debating if and how I should paint the joints and "calf" areas, but I'm leaning towards black. On my XV8's I went with a dark grey, but I'm worried that might blend in as well. I will be adding orange sept symbols as well for contrast.

It's a bit tough to leave out the lines black because I airbrush (tough to see the contrast with the lighting) but I think I'm going to take a super thinned down nuln wash and pin wash the armor segments.

Any more advice is welcome! I've been painting SoH, WS, and DAs for a while so I needed to break up the monotonous colors of Heresy marines :D

Black will work well for the joints and I highlight mine with a light drybrush of shadow grey. The panel lines between the armour plates and other recesses can be painted in black ink to help make each individual plate stand out.

At the moment your paint damage at the feet especially just looks like incomplete paint coverage over the resin. Try using a sponge to dab on some darker paint (black/dark grey) then over that use the sponge again to dab on the metallic colour. This help to give the appearance of damage which has scratched the surface paint, the undercoat and finally revealed the base metal and has the bonus of being easy to do.

An edge highlight on the armour plates would also work well. I would suggest fortress grey or similar.

;)

Thanks Elmo! I'm going to look into a dirt/primer color but I'm still undecided which. I'm leaning more towards a Gorthor Brown or Rhinox hide.

As for edge highlights...I tend to stay away from them with a few exceptions. Just personal preference is all :P

I will be adding orange sept symbols as well for contrast.

That would be Sa'cea then. Which would work really well since the blue-ish/grey armor is the kind of armor Sa'cea is usually shown with in the Codex.

I for one went with green for jungle/forest armor however that is completely up to personal decision. Just make the base fit thematically with the armor plates if you want to be 100% fluff accurate (which is sometimes pretty hard since making your models blend in with the base is pretty much the opposite of what we are used to do).

Anyway, I only went with Sa'Cea myself because I thought orange would make for nice contrast with the green armor plates and only later found out that it's the Sa'Cea Sept color and that they fit my playstyle pretty well too. However considering that we are most likely getting rules for the bigger Septs in the upcoming Codex and since you are still really undecided about which Sept to use, I'd recommend to just wait a bit longer with that decision....unless of course you don't care about 100% accurate fluff representation in your games (like playing Blood Angels with models in Ultramarine colors and symbols etc.).

I don't like Sa'cea's traditional colors back from 5th ed, but I like how this painter handled them:

lXuysDA.png

As for bases...in going to fight that with every fiber of my being because I'd like some contrast or they will become too monochromatic. I've got the tundra vibe right now and I'll be adding some sparse snow to the bases to make the blue more friendly toward the environment.

I'd prefer Dal'yth or Fal'shia but I just want to make a paint scheme work lol. You can make a gorgeous tau paint scheme only for it to be ruined by wonky sept colors :P but c'est la vie