Discussion: Power Armored Wolf Guard

grouj

How is everyone outfitting their Wolf Guard? I personally am finding them to be one of our most versatile and powerful units. I feel like they cover all of our bases since they can take shields, combis, and melee weapons. I think though that it is easy (especially with the increase in points for combi-weapons) to go overboard in the price department. How is everyone fitting their wolf guard? I personally am thinking of these set-ups:

10 Wolfguard with Jumppacks: 10 Shields, 10 Combiplasma, 10 Frostswords or Chainswords

I feel like this unit comes down, blows something up, then charges for the kill. With Logan nearby they are fearless and if Arjac is nearby then they are a harder hitting unit.

5-10 Wolfguard on bikes: 5-10 shields, 5-10 combi flamer, 5-10 swords.

Very similar to the above loadout, but this one is capable of denying points much quicker than their brethren and are much harder to take down.

What are you guys running? Just trying to get a consensus of what everyone is doing lol.

Right now I have a few loadouts that seem pretty solid. One is 5 WG with combi-melta and chainsword x2 and jump packs. deep strike when you need to take care of a big threat asap. The next is super cheap 10 model WG unit with chainsword x2 and storm bolters and jump packs. Again, these can be nice to surprise the opponent with a crap-ton of dakka and melee attacks, and at a pretty fair price (230pts, or 180 without jump packs). I also have a squad of WG bikers all sporting wolf claws, SS, and combi-melta or flamer. These guys wreck a lot of worlds, and do it quickly.

Im really keen try the out the combi flamer jump pack option.

The thought of 10d6 auto hits and 20 rapid fire shots. then jump out of combat to get another 10d6 auto hits, on man... its just evil.

You'll be out of flamer range when deepstriking though. When running up the field, might not be a bad idea to keep some bare to soak up wounds and shave off some points.

The thought of 10d6 auto hits and 20 rapid fire shots. then jump out of combat to get another 10d6 auto hits, on man... its just evil.

You'll be out of flamer range when deepstriking though. When running up the field, might not be a bad idea to keep some bare to soak up wounds and shave off some points.

That's why I am gonna go with combi-plasma on my jump squads and not flamers.

you are not wrong, but I look at it this way.

I still get to shoot my Bolters / rapid fire.

then If I charge and make it then yay. 

If i charge and fail then, feel free to charge into my 10d6 auto hits....

Edited by Spazmonkey

you are not wrong, but I look at it this way.

I still get to shoot my Bolters / rapid fire.

then If I charge and make it then yay. 

If i charge and fail then, feel free to charge into my 10d6 auto hits....

Except if you charge you sort of wasted the flamers as they didn't get used? Sure you can fall-back and still shoot, if you survive 2 fight phases, or fight + shooting if the opponent falls back first.

The opponent can charge from 8+ inch and completely negate your flamers overwatch. Rolling an 8 for the charge if you have rerolls, especially if it negates a bunch of overwath seems worth it. That or they just shoot instead :p

Then there's the fact that sure, it can be a lot of hits, but also not that many, and flamers are still only S4 AP0. Whilst the tactics of a giant wall of fire dropping down from the sky seems awesome, and I might actually try running a smaller pack,  I'm not sure plasma wouldn't just be the better choice every time considering the cost of that 10-man pack. Worse overwatch, and less hits, but the hits will wound more often and ignore quite a bit more saves. We're talking a possible 20 plasma + 20 bolter shots before the charge after deepstrike. Why need to kill them in overwatch if you just decimate them on the alpha ;) At least you get to shoot those combis at least once, unlike the flamers.

I actually really like the jump guys with storm bolter idea to be honest and I hadn't thought of it. It brings a level of points dedication that actually allows us to bring special melee weapons without breaking the bank.

I also think storm bolters are a good idea. I was more thinking about Flamers from a defensive point of view.

Jump in and fail you 10 inch charge, if you get charged then thats a wicked about of overwatch. 

as you also get to fire those bolters rapid fire as well. I know its a lot of of points.

But yes Storm bolters are more cost effective.

I really wonder how long Wolf Guards and their prehensile beard (how else would they wield 3 weapons?!) would be allowed to exist. I hope it's permanent....hahahaha

There is 3 sections for them and they work in unison. First is melee weapons, second is pistols or melee or SS, last is bolter or combi bolter. The first can be sheathed when using the bolter. Second is the easiest, melee weapon held or sheathed, pistol holstered, SS can work in unison with melee or bolter. Bolter can be mag locked when using melee. Theh dont use all 3 ay once

Considering our GH have been managing with CS/BP/Boltgun for some time now, I would hope the elites haven't somehow forgotten how to manage three weapons...What irks me is that our HQs, lone wolves, and TDAWG don't have the same versatility.

I'm really liking the storm bolter idea for a big pack of Wolf Guard, maybe with jump packs. Style them as Skyclaws that just wouldn't die :)

My question though is does everyone see Wolf Guard getting 3 weapons as a normal thing or a mistake on GW's part that will be faq'd or amended when our codex drops? Our HQ's don't get 3 weapons and why are Space Wolves special over Dark Angels Company Veterans or even Vanguard Veterans? I worry that it was just poorly written and completely in our favor.

I'm really liking the storm bolter idea for a big pack of Wolf Guard, maybe with jump packs. Style them as Skyclaws that just wouldn't die :smile.:

My question though is does everyone see Wolf Guard getting 3 weapons as a normal thing or a mistake on GW's part that will be faq'd or amended when our codex drops? Our HQ's don't get 3 weapons and why are Space Wolves special over Dark Angels Company Veterans or even Vanguard Veterans? I worry that it was just poorly written and completely in our favor.

space wolves used to have true grit, which gave them the equivalent of an extra attack from what i remember, also our grey hunters in 5th had bp/bg/cs as standard (i think?? has been a while!), and in 6th/7th could pay extra for the CS.

As such I've always seen that availabilty of the extra attack as a space wolf 'trait'

That said, wether the Wolf guard being able to take 2 Chainswords is actually purposeful or a mistake i dont know. I hope its the former though! :smile.:

Edited by DanPesci

Just bought some Grey Knight combi boaters, building a 5 man with unit with jump packs, storm shields and chainswords/frost swords, really looking forward to the bits arriving so I can put them together.

That was my plan, except just taking storm bolters apart. Wrist mounted combi-weapons, just trying to figure how to make them look decent and magnetic.

I have started also on some arm mounted combi plasma using plasma pistol and bolt pistol. I'm no master of Greenstuff but have used it on the wrist to make it look like it's attached, makes use of the thousands of plasma pistols we get in each wolf kit lol.

Yes it seems having a pack of WG with jump packs seem to be the popular choice currently. I think I have enough magnets left to give them optional ground walking if I need to save on points.

Combi plasma might be the way to go if I had enough bits around. I'd have to ask my local sources for spares.

Combi-melta will probably be better than plasma, if the goal is to take out hard targets. Granted, the range differece may be the more critical decision point, however. Still, WG with jump packs and combi anything-but-flamers will allow the surgical removal of the most onerous of enemy units.

Not sure how I feel about storm bolters vs combi weapons. Trying to crack some math down with just 5x wolf guard vs 5x normal space marines. Hopefully I did this right.

Storm Bolters

10x shots 

6x shots hit (BS 3)

3x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound)

3+ Saving throw=66% saved

1x damage dealt

TOTAL: 1x damage/2x damage rapid fire bolt guns.

Combi-plasma

5x boltgun shots

3x shots hit (BS 3)

1.5x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound

.5x damage dealt 

5x plasma shot

3x shots hit (BS 3)

2x shots wound (S7 vs T4=3+ to wound)

6+ Saving throw=16% saved

1.7 damage dealt 

TOTAL: 1.7x damage/3.4 damage rapid fire boltgun+plasma ((2x/4x Overcharged))

EDIT: WRONG!

TOTAL:2.2x damage/4.4x damage rapid fire boltgun+plasma 

So roughly double, and overcharge doesn't seem worth it.

Combi-melta

5x boltgun shots

3x shots hit (BS 3)

1.5x wound (S4 vs T4=4+ to wound)

.5x damage dealt

5x melta shot

3x shots hit (BS 3)

2.5x wound (S8 vs T4=2+ to wound)

No saving throw

2.5x D6 wounds dealt (if within half range roll 2D6 and discard lowest)

2.5x to 15 damage dealt 

TOTAL: 3x to 15.5x Damage/3.5 to 16x rapid fired bolt gun

Storm bolters just seem pretty weak when it comes to facing just normal space marines or any 3+ T4 enemies. With 5 guys you are only causing 1 damage vs the nearly 2 from plasma or 3 from meltas. I think the good balance is plasma for range, damage, and flexibility to shoot at vehicles, you just have to worry about that overcharge chance of 16% to be slain. Melta's also seem incredible provided your not scared of getting into melee.

Edited by Caldersson

But storm bolters are rapid fire 2, so at 12" it's 4 shots per model. Up close the storm bolter performs much better. Still not sure which is better, but against hordes it's probably the storm bolter.