Squad leader insignia

Kua

I’m speaking of the leader of the second battle squad if a unit is spit up and the sergeant is leading the first one.

They exist by 2nd edition fluff and have a red Iron Hallow, opposed to the sergeant’s red skull, as their should pad marking.

(They weren’t mentioned in 3rd edition since you could just take 5 man squads and rule-wise they would be the same as sergeants there, and they were forgotten since. Now you can do both, with is kinda redundant.)

Anyway, is there anything more known about them?

Do they have a distinguishable helm colour/marking or something on the knee pad?

Is it just the red Iron Hallow and a non-red helm?

Since they were only seen in second edition, then unless you continue the practice, the it's really up to you ^_^

Maybe the Captsin has a different take on the Codex because of the mission theater. Or maybe the Sergeant has developed his own identifier.

I don't think there is a special marking for those guys anymore. In the lore it's probably something like "second in command" or "next most senior member of the squad" who looks like a regular guy. In the Space Marine video game, it would've been Sidonus, had Titus been a sergeant rather than a captain.

I like to call them corporals and just use spare sergeant models for them. If you're the kind of guy to put those cool back banners on your sergeants, you could give one to the combat squad leader, and then differentiate the two by giving the sergeant the standard sergeant markings in addition to the banner. Another option is to give the combat squad leader a 30K vox backpack.

Thx.

Yes, I too understand them as second in commands, and in German they are even translated as corporals.

In the 2nd Ed codices (both Ultras and Angels of Death) they have something special painted on their left knee, but it’s not explained there and could be just some “more special than a regular guy” random badge.

No, no banners for ravens.

Vox backpack could be an idea though. It makes a bit of sense for a split up battle squad to have one, doesn’t it?

Not, that I look at the FW models, it shouldn’t cost much effort to put a piece of wire, some cables and an enigmatic box on a regular backpack.

Oh, interesting!

Curiously, the even newer assault squad has no such thing, nor does the devastator box.

The best be would be to find the insignia for a non veteran sergeant and use that.

Non-vet sergeant would be the red helmet without white stripes, which is exactly what the red skull is a symbol for. So no, doesn’t work unfortunately.