Brood Brotherhood: How to build a list?

Aothaine

Hey everyone!

I was looking into the Astra Militarum units and posts and what I was finding is that they are designed to unleash a torrent of fire and specialize in taking out light targets. They have the ability to take on heavy targets but are better suited to fight against infantry when using lots of infantry.

So, I remember looking at the purestrain genestealers last night and noticed that they fill pretty much the same role. They don't really have a way to shred up monsters/vehicles. It seems the Primarch is designed to be able to do that. But at 150 points and possibly ending up behind your own lines on bad rolls for our version of deep strike what might be a better way to handle this?

Should we plan on not using our deep strike and just deploy our units behind our gun lines to then counter charge? Should we risk the bad deep strike and potentially have a unit not be able to do anything most of the game?

What say you?

I'm in the same boat with you brother on the new Genestealer/Imperial Guard approach to 8th edition. That and hell, I already have purple Imperial guard might as well field Nids with them.:biggrin.:

I would say the risk is worth it. The ability to be within 3 inches of your enemy on turn 1 is too good to pass up. Even if you have 2nd turn the ability to dictate when combat is going to happen is a great asset to field. It will immediately put your opponent on his heels as he has to deal with Genestealer cult units within combat distance, or die. Plus he's being shot at while he considering assaulting our troops. The aggressive nature of the GSC/AM is what is going to help win games. I can't wait to try it out. I've been playing games with just my AM and adding the seriously powerful Close combat capabilities of GSC my opponents are in for a rude awakening.

(That and my main opponent is Sisters of Battle so its just fluffy goodness :wink:)

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

I think Cult ambush will be best used with multiple opportunistic units supporting a solid gun line or swarm. It's too variable to rely on for big units of Purestrains in my opinion. I'd stick to small 5 man units, maybe 10 acolytes. I think you might be able to spring a surprise with Purestrains in a truck or chimera though for a big turn 2 charge.

I took a small army yesterday, was impressed with my leman russes, and acolytes on the charge (they got messed up afterwards). I had a Primus and Purestrains in ambush, even with the re-roll they ended up coming on miles away from anything.

1x Battalion Detachment (GSC) +3CP
1x Patrol Detachment (GSC) +1CP
1x Superheavy Auxillary Detachment (AM) +0CP
1x Patrol Detachment (AM) +1CP

BATTALION (GSC)

HQ 1:
Patriarch- Monstrous Rending Claws

HQ 2:

Primus- Toxin Injector Claw, Needle Pistol, Bonesword, Blasting Charges

TROOP 1:
10x Acolyte Hybrids- Cult Icon, 2x Heavy Rock Drills, 1x Heavy Rock Cutter, 7x Cult Knives, 10x Autopistols, 7x Rending Claws, Blasting Charges

TROOP 2:
10x Neophyte Hybrids- Cult Icon, 2x Mining Laser, 1x Flamer, Blasting Charges

TROOP 3:

ELITE 1:
15x Purestrain Genestealers- Rending Claws

PATROL (GSC)

HQ 1:
Magus- Autopistol, Force Stave

TROOP 1:

SUPERHEAVY AUXILLARY DETACHMENT (AM)

1x Baneblade- Baneblade Cannon, Adamantium Tracks, Twin Heavy Bolter, 2x Lascannons, 2x Twin Heavy Flamers

PATROL DETACHMENT (AM)

HQ 1:
Company Commander- Laspistol, Chainsword

TROOP 1:
Infantry Squad- Laspistol, Chainsword, 9x Lasguns, Frag Grenades

FLYER 1:
Vulture Gunship- Twin Punisher Gatling Cannon, Heavy Bolter

FLYER 2:
Vulture Gunship- Twin Punisher Gatling Cannon, Heavy Bolter

TOTAL: 1996pts

Primus ambushes with the Acolytes.
Patriach ambushes with the Purestrains.
Neophytes camp deployment zone and bubblewrap Baneblade.
Vultures fly around causing chaos.

In matched play you can only use a stratagem of a certain type once per phase. So you couldn't re-roll cult ambush multiple times in one turn, but you could re-roll once (plus however many you get for having Primuses) and then later in the same turn use a command point to re-roll one die for a charge move.

Thanks Redtoof. Still getting a hang of the rules for this edition.