Rules Question Drop Pod Assault

Adalger

Fellow Brethren,

Reading through the Rulebook and the Index I wonder whether Drop Pods are treated like a transport which has been moved (not allowing assault that turn) or like a Jumppack/Teleport Assault (allowing assault that turn). The rule that describes disembarking troops need to stay away 9" from an enemy sounds in line with the Jumppack/Teleport Assault, so that's why I am wondering/hoping.

Looking forward to seeing the light of your guidance...

Edited by Adalger

Well, the rules don't actually prevent you from charging after being in a transport that moved, they prevent you from disembarking in the first place.

Because Drop Pods force units to disembark at a different point in the phase, they circumvent this problem and so you are free to act normally afterwards, which includes charging.

From the core rules, disembarkation always happens before the transport moves - after which the unit acts normally.  As such, the transport moving doesn't interact with the Charge rules at all, because a unit inside a transport that moved can't be outside of it, barring a handful of special rules (like Drop Pods, or Valkyrie grav-chute deployment).

As such, if the Drop Pod Assault rule does not explicitly forbid it (which I don't have it in front of me right now, but I believe it does not), units can absolutely Charge out of a drop pod.

Thank you guys :cool.:

Now I have a plan...

Be careful though.

The drop pod needs to be deployed more than 9' away from any enemy model. The same rule applies to models disembarking from a drop pod, they also need to be more than 9' from an enemy model. 9' makes for a long charge.

Thank you guys :cool.:

Now I have a plan...

Be careful though.

The drop pod needs to be deployed more than 9' away from any enemy model. The same rule applies to models disembarking from a drop pod, they also need to be more than 9' from an enemy model. 9' makes for a long charge.

And a large army like a horde can easily deny landing spaces by covering a lot of the table. :(

Actually it's 8", you have to end your charge move within 1" :smile.:

I'm aware that it's splitting hairs, but you need the 9. "Within" means "up to" 1 inch away. If you start 9" away and roll an 8, you can't be "within 1" as a result of that.