Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wraithwing's Primaris Novamarines - The Glorious 4th.

Primaris Novamarines 4th Company 8th Edition Space Marines Codex Compliant

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves\Novamarines

Greetings folks, 

A little over 8 years ago, I started a small force of Novamarines. I wanted to do a Codex chapter, having mainly played non-Codex chapters previously. I got a few squads and characters painted up, then real life caught up with me and I had to abandon the project. 

Fast forward to last week and I get given a Primaris Marines to paint up for my local GW's painting competition. It had already been converted to have a chapter pad from the Deathwatch kit. Lo and behold, it was a Novamarine. Looks like the universe is trying to tell me something!

Anyway, I've painted up the store mini as a test scheme for my own Primaris Marines, having already purchased Dark Imperium. I'll be dropping him off at the store tomorrow to go in the cabinet. 

Here's the test miniature, 2nd Intercessor Squad, 4th Company:

gallery_5348_3397_34122.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_43980.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_104118.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_87892.jpg

I'm going to start with the contents of the Dark Imperium box only for now. I'm also trying to scrounge together more Novamarines pads from the DW kit. I may well end up hitting Shapeways to order some custom pads. 

I've gone for white instead of bone, as I just prefer the contrasting look of the two colours. They'll be done as 4th Company, as denoted by the numerals on the left kneepad. If I can get hold of some white numeral decals, I'll put the squad numbers in the tactical marking. 

This will likely be a slow burn project, as I collect together the bits I need, but I do hope to keep this thread rolling. 

C&C is, as always, appreciated. 

Cheers,

WW

• Doghouse, Honda, Biohazard and 28 others like this

fisheyedbunny

fisheyedbunny

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts
  • Faction: Howling Griffons

very nice mate, the lines are nice and crisp. As someone painting Howling Griffons I know how un-fun that can be to get them correct. I am using the Shapeways icons for my marines and could not recommend them enough! Well worth the money

• Wraithwing likes this
Sig Updated

Skippy the Magnificent at your service

Instagram - fisheyedbunny

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts

very nice mate, the lines are nice and crisp. As someone painting Howling Griffons I know how un-fun that can be to get them correct. I am using the Shapeways icons for my marines and could not recommend them enough! Well worth the money

Howling Griffons were another chapter I was looking at. Mainly because I want to get a box of Gryph-chargers, convert them to have Primaris riders, and use them as counts as Thunderwolf Cavalry! biggrin.png

Edited by Wraithwing, 22 June 2017 - 04:09 PM.

• binary, Eberious and fisheyedbunny like this

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,054 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem

Very nice, clean paintwork.

• Wraithwing likes this

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,898 posts

That is very tidy :tu:

• Wraithwing likes this

gallery_48988_6285_23120.png ETL_2018_Medal_02_Oath_Breaker.gif ETL_Medal_06.gifgallery_48988_10069_34672.png gallery_48988_11572_25584.pnggallery_48988_10069_10569.jpg

Check out my current and past projects HERE  Heralds of Devastation

Help fund the B&C : Buy a model painted by me

Theduke08

Theduke08

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 520 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Space Wolves

Ive always wanted to paint a 2-tone paint scheme but im not that confident.  Looks great!

• Wraithwing likes this

binary

binary

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts
Yay another quarter scheme log. Welcome to the brotherhood 😄
Loving the crisp and clean look and I think it was a good decision to go with white instead of bone as it's a more complementary colour scheme, giving a nice cold base so your warmer spot colours like the green eyes stand out more and draw the eye towards the face of the model without being garish.
I have to ask though (having just started my howling griffons) brush or airbrush? Or combination of the 2? I personally use my airbrush for the base colours, then tidy and straighten it using a brush
  • Wraithwing and Honda like this

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts

Yay another quarter scheme log. Welcome to the brotherhood 😄
Loving the crisp and clean look and I think it was a good decision to go with white instead of bone as it's a more complementary colour scheme, giving a nice cold base so your warmer spot colours like the green eyes stand out more and draw the eye towards the face of the model without being garish.
I have to ask though (having just started my howling griffons) brush or airbrush? Or combination of the 2? I personally use my airbrush for the base colours, then tidy and straighten it using a brush

Thanks for the kind comments.

This is all brushwork. I'm not really proficient enough with an airbrush to attempt a quatererd scheme!

Not sure how I feel about doing an army of them, but currently it's only 22 bodies, and the Primaries are an absolute pleasure to paint.

Welcheren

Welcheren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 452 posts
  • Faction: Novamarines & Legio XIII

That'll make Corvo proud.

• Wraithwing likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,545 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,474 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
That model is GLORIOUS!
  • Wraithwing likes this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,353 posts

Beautiful work to echo everyone else.

Every day the call of Primaris grows stronger... I'll see about picking up a box on the weekend methinks.

tn_gallery_78067_11287_22792.pngtn_gallery_78067_11287_15234.png

Open Ye Heavenly Gates

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Eberious

Eberious

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,029 posts

Howling Griffons were another chapter I was looking at. Mainly because I want to get a box of Gryph-chargers, convert them to have Primaris riders, and use them as counts as Thunderwolf Cavalry! biggrin.png

Ha, get out my head, its the exact idea I was thinking of for the past 2 weeks. In fact was in the local GW just yesterday eyeing a box up and thinking.. well the same thing. lol. Was also planning to do Howling Griffons, but trying to come up with another name paint scheme based on them.

And nice marine, paint job is great and striking. Looking forward to seeing more.  

• binary likes this

Like Thunder from the sky, sworn to fight and die.
~IN HOC SIGNO VINCES~   "In this sign you will conquer"

"When you hear the trumpet Blast
Know, foul xenos, Black Templars have come at last."

My Eldar project
http://www.dakkadakk...ist/309329.page

gallery_48988_6285_2678.png L_T_3_2017_Badge_01_Centurion.jpg

NomadPainting

NomadPainting

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,853 posts
  • Faction: Marines Malevolent

Looking real good there Wraith! 

I wait with baited breath until I can get my own box. 

• Wraithwing likes this
++ Vis Sanctimonia ++

The Mad Hermit

The Mad Hermit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 386 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Very, very nice.

I've long been a fan of Blue and White as a color combination.

You make it look really good.

What a long, strange trip it's been....

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts

Just put together the Captain in Gravis armour. Wasn't a fan of the raised Power Sword, so reposed it slightly. I think it gives him the look of someone striding forward:

gallery_5348_3397_91795.jpg

Cheers, 

WW

• KBA, DBadger and Ahistorian like this

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,930 posts
  • Faction: Hive Fleet Chimaera, Renegades
Ooh, I'm stealing that - after I replace it with a power kama, of course.

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

Welcheren

Welcheren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 452 posts
  • Faction: Novamarines & Legio XIII

I like this pose better than the box cover.

Ugolino

Ugolino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts

Mind sharing your technique for white?

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts

Managed to scrounge up some more Novamarines pads from the Deathwatch kit. I have 13 in total now (3 in hand, 10 on the way), so that means I can get started on the Lieutenants and the Ancient. Will probably do the two Intercessor squads as well. Here's the WIP in the first Lieutenant: 

gallery_5348_3397_2608.jpg

gallery_5348_3397_127229.jpg

Mind sharing your technique for white?

The white is fairly straightforward:

• Prime Corax White
  • Base coat in Ulthuan Grey
  • Recess shade wash of Nuln Oil
  • Neaten up with Ulthuan Grey
  • Edge highlight with White Scar

Quick question for all you quarter scheme veterans: How do you denote Sergeants? IA9 states that Novamarines use red helmets to denote sergeants. I quite like that.

But what about Lieutenants? Should they have red helmets with white and blue stripes, or split helms with some variant of the stripe?

What about captains? Split helm or red with stripes?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on the above folks!

Hopefully, I can start getting some paint on these guys this coming week!

Cheers, 

WW

Edited by Wraithwing, 24 June 2017 - 10:06 PM.

That Guy Matt

That Guy Matt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard
Not quartered but close. I'm considering doing Eagle Warriors Primaris Marines and having the same thoughts.

I've been thinking red helmets for sergeants, red with a white stripe for veteran sergeants, red with a thick white stripe and thin red stripe (or white-red-white) for lieutenants. Then back to split helms for captains, relying on alternative ornamentation to make them stand out.

The one that's making me think is specific to part white schemes and that's how to do veterans. Codex would be a solid white helmet but I think that would look a little funny, like you just forgot to do it half blue. What do you think?

The Frater formerly known as Asamodai.

gallery_70393_10089_17958.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpg

My Raven Guard 3rd Company Log

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts

Not quartered but close. I'm considering doing Eagle Warriors Primaris Marines and having the same thoughts.

I've been thinking red helmets for sergeants, red with a white stripe for veteran sergeants, red with a thick white stripe and thin red stripe (or white-red-white) for lieutenants. Then back to split helms for captains, relying on alternative ornamentation to make them stand out.

The one that's making me think is specific to part white schemes and that's how to do veterans. Codex would be a solid white helmet but I think that would look a little funny, like you just forgot to do it half blue. What do you think?

For lieutenants, I thought maybe split helms, thick red stripe, then a thinner blue stripe, with a white stripe in the middle? Might be too much though. 

Hadn't thought about Veterans. Maybe split helms with Laurel Wreath designs on each side of the helm?

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,467 posts

Started work on my second Lieutenant. I'm really not a fan of the bear Primaris heads, so I've cut away the helms attached to the belts and rebuilt them into usable helms. 

Here's where I've got to so far, along with a Novamarines shoulder pad:

gallery_5348_3397_101127.jpg

As you can see, cutting the helm away leaves quite the hole, so I'm going to have to green stuff ribbing in there:

gallery_5348_3397_81416.jpg

Thankfully, the leg armour plates are intact, so it's only undersuit ribbing that needs to be sculpted. The rear armour plates did need some creative filing, but they look OK for now, and shouldn't be noticeable once painted. 

I've also cut away the bear headed Intercessor sergeant helm, but that's going to take a little more rebuilding and green stuff to salvage. The space left on his hip will need to be covered with some spare ammo pouches. Pics to follow once I've made a bit more progress!

Cheers, 

WW

• LacklusterBrown likes this

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 415 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
I've done the same, cut away the Sgt helmet this evening to use on head and filled belt space with pouch and grenades. Worked well as head and belt looks fine.
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

LacklusterBrown

LacklusterBrown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Started work on my second Lieutenant. I'm really not a fan of the bear Primaris heads, so I've cut away the helms attached to the belts and rebuilt them into usable helms. 

Here's where I've got to so far, along with a Novamarines shoulder pad:

gallery_5348_3397_101127.jpg

As you can see, cutting the helm away leaves quite the hole, so I'm going to have to green stuff ribbing in there:

gallery_5348_3397_81416.jpg

Thankfully, the leg armour plates are intact, so it's only undersuit ribbing that needs to be sculpted. The rear armour plates did need some creative filing, but they look OK for now, and shouldn't be noticeable once painted. 

I've also cut away the bear headed Intercessor sergeant helm, but that's going to take a little more rebuilding and green stuff to salvage. The space left on his hip will need to be covered with some spare ammo pouches. Pics to follow once I've made a bit more progress!

Cheers, 
WW

Thank you for the inspiration, I've just now done this same conversion.
I've just now done the same conversion myself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Primaris, Novamarines, 4th Company, 8th Edition, Space Marines, Codex Compliant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users