Killer-screamers?

Adorondak

So 8ed, and some well timed bonuses at work, have put me in a position to finally build the tyranid army I've wanted for a while and I've already come up with a question as to how I should build my carnefexes(sp?). The original fluff for the killer-screamers(basicly four really big claws and a mouth that vomited plasma at you) is what got me interested in tyranids in the first place and I was wondering if in the new 8ed there was a place for strictly stabby carnefexes, or if pure dakka or a mix of the two would always be better?

Screamer-Killers (not killer-screamers) aren't a pure melee build, so not stricly stabby. What you're looking at is bio plasma (a multi-shot, pistol-range plasma attack) and two pairs of monstrous scything talons. It's a useable build, you've got a powerful but short ranged attack and strong melee. That said, the bonus of two pairs of monstrous scything talons is just one attack, so personally unless you are trying to save points I would trade one pair for more ranged power. Most Tyranid ranged weapons are now viable and you can shoot evey gun on a model (excepting grenades and pistols), so you could be shooting a main weapon plus the bio-plasma, or even two main weapons plus the bio-plasma (though you're trading out all of the monstrous scything talons, whick kind of defeats the point of this build).

If you do go for a Screamer-Killer build, just keep moving then advancing, because bio-plasma is an assault weapon so you can fire it while moving at top speed. Carnifex are still (mostly) better in melee and despite having a ranged attack, they still want to be there asap. Consider adrenal glands for this reason.

In summary, a Screamer-Killer will work. I don't know if it will be the best build but that's really up to you to decide.

Also, magnetising models especially big Tyranids, will give you the option of changing your build and experimenting to find what works best for you. It shouldn't be too hard to magnetise all four arms and the head.

If I can find those darn 2nd ed models I got off ebay two years ago, I'll be using 3 Screamer Killers and seeing how they do.

A pair of deathpitters or devourers along with one pair of talons are only a couple of points over two pairs of scything talons so you're not saving many points at all. You're saving a lot of points over bio-cannons but so is the other shooting option.