Dark angels Forgeworld units

Madmonkeyman

Ive just got my imperial armour book this week.  Has any one got any ideas on what units are good in the new book.  Everything looks very expensive points wise but its hard to know with out playing a few games. I think I'm going to give the fire raptor a go tomorrow and maybe the scicaren.

On a side note: looking at the rules can non codex chapters such as dark angels etc take units from the forgeworld book.  In the main codex imperial book from GW It gives a specific list of units that can be dark angels and states no others units are allowed to be from chapter dark angels.  The forge world books don't seem to say that dark angels can take any of these units just that they can be taken by space marines.  Im guessing I'm just missing something as they have always been allowed to take units in the past.

chaos players also meet same problem, this may help:

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/06/8th-edition-40k-keyword-problems-with.html?m=1

via a reader on Faeit 212
I sent a query to forgeworld regarding the issues with chaos legions such 
as thousand sons not being able to use any forgeworld items due to 
restrictions in the main chaos index this is the response

Forgeworld Response
Thanks for the email. The thousand sons have access to nearly everything.our rules team have given us an official response regarding the key wordstructure.

Units in Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of Chaos with the keyword follow the rules for using the keyword presented in Index: Chaos,and units with the keyword follow the rules for using the keyword also presented in Index: Chaos.

In addition, all units in Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of Chaos with the keyword are added to the lists of available datasheets for World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, and Emperors Children.This will be updated in future publications.

You can use any. Don't worry

Forgeworld tends to be expensive. But powerful. Best units I have played with:

Leviathan dreadnought. Siege claw and flux bombard in a Lucius. 430 for the whole package. Wrecks things. Very hard to kill.

Mastodon. My favourite. 830 all in. Obviously expensive. It literally nobody will kill it. Killed Magnus with it in my first game.

Fire raptor. Flying gunboat. Very strong.

Falchion. That double volcano cannon is ridiculous.

The Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Mortis options are good price/effectiveness ratio. You save 5 points doing a standard rifleman over the mortis (and no change in stats). Sadly any chapter can now take the Mortis :(

Missile Launcher Mortis is priced competitively with a Typhoon. You're gaining durability and combat ability for the loss of fly and another gun.

Lucius Pattern Drop Pods will be useful for delivering Venerable dreads. Too bad they cost so many points. It's probably worth it, but I'm definitely feeling sticker shock!

Tried out the fire raptor last night. Is still very good. Would have been great if they had kept strafing run though. Putting it next to samael meant I still got to re roll ones . Shame it's not raven wing or it would have been twin linked . It is a lot of points / power levels though. Great at murdering hoards of fire warriors .

The sicaren is still very good. Used the twin las option. Need to calculate to see how many more points than a las predator as it fills the same roll. Over all still a solid choice . Sat at the back of the board in cover with azrael to give it re rolls and 4++.

Keep in mind the new relic rule means you have to have an equivalent non relic in that slot in the same detachment

I have just bought two fire raptors to form a "wing". Gonna be murderific

The Lascannon and Heavy Bolter Mortis options are good price/effectiveness ratio. You save 5 points doing a standard rifleman over the mortis (and no change in stats). Sadly any chapter can now take the Mortis :sad.:

Missile Launcher Mortis is priced competitively with a Typhoon. You're gaining durability and combat ability for the loss of fly and another gun.

Lucius Pattern Drop Pods will be useful for delivering Venerable dreads. Too bad they cost so many points. It's probably worth it, but I'm definitely feeling sticker shock!

Other chapters could always take the Mortis, just in smaller numbers. And the Mortis became a lot less useful without the Helical Targeting array (strangly enough, the Madcat Deredeo DID get the targeting array). The only really useful loadout now is the twin lascannon, imo. Missile launchers are as underwhelming as they were last edition, especially when compared with a twin autocannon which is only 8 points more. And a venerable dread can do a Rifleman loadout better. Twin bolters lose out to twin autocannon in everything except horde-killing.

I faced a SW army this weekend with two Venerable dreads with twin las/twin autocannon each, and I think that's one of the most powerful loadouts available right now for a shooty dread, especially since it's 2 points less than a quad-las Mortis (which has a lower BS and no 6+ FNP).

And Lucius drop pods don't give any more survivability for the occupant than normal drop pods. The droppod itself is slightly tougher (T8 vs T7), but unlike last edition, the dread has to disembark immediately, so no more hiding inside for a turn.

I have to agree with "Itsacon" on the dread loadout

Tried both full Auto and Las/Auto and an all round loadout has to be Las/Auto its better than a Mortis in that you can target different squads with each weapon type. This weekends game was an example where I could target Tau drones with the Auto cannon before unloading the Las to try stop the drone pass on thing.

It helps that all your Las isn't in 1 place as well using 2 meant they could draw a bead on different stuff.

Lucius pods are the only way to transport dreads other than stormraven and the mastodon

Wow, you're right. I hadn't noticed that.

And that despite the fact that the Lucius hasn't been on sale for ages. I guess you're supposed to use the normal droppod or something.

Deredeo with the shield generator behind a land raider.

You know what's scarier then a 16 wound tank with 4 lascannons and a grav cannon and AoE army buffs.. One with a 5+ invul

Edited by aura_enchanted