Embarking transports after falling back

RapatoR

Hi there, I have a simple question - is there anything that prevents a unit to embark on a transport after it fell back? Edited by RapatoR

I don't believe you can. Because the "fall back" rules don't specifically mention embarking on a transport while falling back. I think I'd have to go rules as intended on this one as there isn't a definitive answer.

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

Ok so you two summer my thoughts perfectly - there is no restriction in the rules. However I believe this is not intended, as I have not seen anybody from the Warhammer TV/playtesters to do it. (Moreover, this type of tactic could cause a lot of pain for cc oriented armies.) How I should this question to GW for potencial FAQ/errata?

Well so far I haven't seen anybody from "official" to play it that way. Moreover it seems pretty broken against CC-oriented armies, with unit falling back 6" than embarking 3" and moving another 10".

That's why I got the impression it is an unitended interaction, though this night be the reason why the transports are so expensive now.

Edited by RapatoR

Most important to remember in the OR: feelings =/= rules. :D

Of course. I will just feel extremely dirty when I will pull this off against myfriends with CC armies. :)

Acebaur - thats correct but you can disembark the next turn and be albe to fire on the enemy well out of charge dance.

It could lead to some pretty cheesy hit-n-run tactics. Certainly a reason to keep the transport around after dropping its cargo.

Thematically it makes sense to fall back into the safety of a transport and speed off.

Personally I like the idea of transports being used during the battle and not just as a means to block an alpha strike or deliver CC troops.

But if you want to talk about max cheese: Consider that you can embark into a transport that is also in combat, then fall back the transport to get away. You cannot fall back if you cannot end your move more than 1" away from an enemy model, but you can embark as long as you are within 3" of the transport. Rules does not state that you cannot embark if you are in combat (I could have missed that clarification though).

Add that some transports are flyers and they can then shoot after falling back (plus most of the flying transports are pretty fast so they move far away).

You can also move the transport to be within fall back + embark range of your unit locked in combat, then escape into the transport. As you can move the models in any order you wish.

All good reasons to not ignore the transports, but pop them when possible.

Edited by Aziras