Bikes and Scout Bikes in 8th

Kua

Let’s try some unit discussion on them.

Yes, they have 2W can shoot their handguns in addition to the bike-mounted weapons etc. etc., you know the text.
But what else is there to say?
Let’s try comparing them.

Bikes have the option for special weapons (I’m imagining them with flamers) and an attack bike which is currently being discussed as somewhat underwhelming.
Scout bikes can take grenade launchers that are to my opinion just as underwhelming. The frag shot is almost never better than the bolters and the krak shot only when shooting at targets you don’t want to target with the unit anyway, and even then not that much better.
Their big advantage is carrying the combat knife and the shotgun at the same time what regular bikes have to choose between BP and CS.
While being better armed, they are also cheaper, a tiny bit faster and less armoured.

I like them more from reading an from using once (having played only one game yet).

And then there are veterans on bikes. For +3 pts you get +1 A, are not any more forced to choose between BP or CS, and free choice of weapon upgrades. The only limitation being the missing attack bike (you probably didn’t want anyway) and the max unit size of 5 (more dangerous because of morale and thus a disadvantage in the 8th.)

I see them displacing the regular bikes almost entirely.

Am I missing anything?
Do you see them in different roles or just being a choice of preferences?
And is anyone seing himself using grenade launchers?

Edited by Kua

I agree that scout bikers looks more attractive than plain bikes. Grenade launchers looks a waste for me - it's costly and only one shot per model. If it were at least rapid file 1 - than might be consider to take. I think best to keep base weapons to generate more dakka (6 shots per model <12") and, possibly, give Sarge power weapon (axe or lance).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be careful about saying you don't want the attack bike with your assault bikers.

Arugment:

Attack Bike has four wounds. If you can take some shots on it and have it survive you can have a apothecary heal those wounds without having to roll for it on your turn. Making the Attack Bike a damage sponge. Then!!! Say it dies, you have two Apothecaris on bikes with them. Roll to bring back the attack bike with one apothecary. Now the unit has a model with wounds on it. Use the second Apothecary to heal the wounds off the attack bike. :happy.:

Working on a list for my Flesh Tearers that uses this with Sanguinary Priests (+1S in combat from Chalice buff). 

Also the attack bike can take two chainswords giving it the same number of attacks as normal bikers but it can also toss on a Multi-Melta or Heavy Flamer.

Quite fluffy and pretty damned awesome if you ask me.

Edited by Aothaine

2x naked apo on bike = 160 pts.

How much does your squad cost to make the investment worthwhile?

Bikes are expensive. Not arguing against that. But if you're into alpha striking bikes are a solid choice to deploy.

I meant: A regular bike squad is probably not important enough to justify of so much character support.

And other as with the apo I don’t really see the advantage of a divergent wound count in the unit. It’s not a ward save (where mixing some in is a real advantage) and it is not cheap enough per-wound to make good ablative wounds.

I guess one can take one, just because of 4 wounds, but I’m not excited about it. Unlike the Eldar with their shuriken cannons they don’t even have a non-heavy weapon option for firing it without penalty on the move.

The main idea here is that you can bring the attack bike back up and put it back to full wounds. The rest of your army would be 1-2 flyers and some TDA. The apothecaries on bike at mobile enough to jump over to the terminators and show them some love too.

Just a thought.

And avoiding single-wound models entirely?

Hm… could work. Even if I dislike the idea of using primaris for troops. Alternatively one can use the elite detachment, if every apo fills a slot anyway, and maybe the fast attack one.

If anyone has the models for testing it, I’d be curious about the results.