✵ Everything Black ✵

Sception

ALL BLACK ✵ EVERYTHING BLACK

Welcome to the latest Incarnation of Malisteen's Black Legion hobby thread!  Earlier incarnations can be found here:

Black Like My Soul

Back In Black

You can also find a few extra pictures on my 40k sideblog on tumblr:

Minisception

"But Malisteen," I hear you asking, "if you already have two threads, why are you starting another?"  Well, partially because old threads include models I no longer own due to losing, breaking, or foolishly selling them away, and partially because they're not very well set up to continue after a long hiatus.  Honestly, it's become sort of a habit to me to start a new thread when the motivation strikes, and then when it fades go quiet for a couple years, only to start a new thread when the motivation strikes again.  But while I'm playing out that habit again, I'd kind of like to make this thread the last one, so I'm trying to set this one up so that I can just update the first post or two with the current state of things after my next inevitable hiatus, then link to the post where I pick up again.  We'll see how that goes.

The first few posts of this thread are dedicated to an up to date inventory of models that I have at least assembled, as I work on anything I'll update the inventory posts with current pictures.

And next time I take a nine month break from the hobby and come back, I should hopefully be able to pick up this thread where I left off and put a link in this first post to the specific post I'm starting from.  Least, that's the plan.

I also eventually plan to replace this first post with fluff & general army concept, replace some of the generic names in the inventory with specific names, past in some fluff to go with the pictures etc, but that will have to wait until I have time to revise and re-work my old fluff.

Edited by malisteen

All pictures up.  Units that area at least partially painted marked with a ✵

✵ Headquarters ✵
Shadows fall over my heart
I Black out the moon
I wait for you to come around

Abaddon the Despoiler 

tumblr_orz618NlUZ1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

Huron Blackheart (?) 

tumblr_orz6ep6AvI1woua6zo6_1280.jpg

Chaos Lord 

tumblr_orz6ep6AvI1woua6zo5_1280.jpg

Chaos Lord on Juggernaut

tumblr_orz6kvxaSt1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

Dark Apostle

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo3_1280.jpg

Sorcerer

tumblr_orz6kvxaSt1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour 

tumblr_orz618NlUZ1woua6zo5_1280.jpg

Mojo Jojo,
Warpsmith

tumblr_orz6kvxaSt1woua6zo2_1280.jpg

Be'Lakor 

tumblr_orz68bbgkB1woua6zo7_1280.jpg

Daemon Princes 

tumblr_orz68bbgkB1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

✵ Elites ✵
You got me dancing in the dark
I've closed my eyes,
But I won't sleep tonight

Chaos Terminators 

tumblr_orz6s2aRec1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

Chosen 

tumblr_orz6s2aRec1woua6zo6_r1_540.png

Berzerkers

tumblr_orz6zgu3FA1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

Helbrutes

tumblr_orz6zgu3FA1woua6zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz6zgu3FA1woua6zo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz6zgu3FA1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

✵ Dedicated Transports ✵
Baby, you should come with me
I'll take you to the dark side

Chaos Rhinos 

tumblr_orz76rqG8A1woua6zo5_1280.jpg
Edited by malisteen

✵ Troops ✵
Me and you, you and me
Do bad things in the night time

Chaos Space Marines

tumblr_orz7e7JjYS1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz7e7JjYS1woua6zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz7e7JjYS1woua6zo3_1280.jpg

Chaos Cultists

tumblr_orz7e7JjYS1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

✵ Fast Attack ✵
Baby, you should come with me
And we can kill the lights

Helforged Dreadclaw Drop Pod

tumblr_orz76rqG8A1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

Chaos "Bikes"

tumblr_orz76rqG8A1woua6zo6_1280.jpg

✵ Heavy Support ✵
Hit the lights, let it Blackout, Blackout
Hit the lights, let it Blackout, Blackout

Havocs

tumblr_orz7l3FFNR1woua6zo7_1280.jpg

Melchizedek 
Defiler

tumblr_ovb1cmn4zN1woua6zo2_1280.png

Giant Chaos Spawn

tumblr_orz7l3FFNR1woua6zo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz7l3FFNR1woua6zo6_1280.jpg

✵ Fliers ✵
Black bird, Black moon
Black sky, Black light
Black, everything Black

Melanchthon,
Heldrake

tumblr_orz8elZrji1woua6zo3_1280.jpg

Moloch,
Heldrake

tumblr_orz8elZrji1woua6zo10_1280.jpg

✵ Lords of War ✵
Black heart, Black keys
Black diamonds, Blackout
Black, everything Black

Some day I'll get a new Lord of war.
Not today, though. Not tomorrow, either.

All Black, everything, everything
BLACK Edited by malisteen

Of course, it's not a log if there's no progress, so here's the admittedly modest amount of work I've managed to get done on the defiler for Diu Ad Belli so far:

tumblr_orz7l3FFNR1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz7l3FFNR1woua6zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz7l3FFNR1woua6zo3_1280.jpg

It's got a long long way to go, but I'm still optimistic that I'll be able to finish by the end of August.

Always great seeing your dudesmen especially all together; love these guys especially the Chosen as you know. Really flavourful conversions and painting. Really entertaining and well presented thread btw :tu: Quick question, where is the tail from your Daemon Prince from?

Defiler going great guns, time to show these curs the might of the Black Legion!!

Thanks, all!

Your Belakor is :cussing awesome!

It's the Final Fantasy Master Creatures series 2 line Diabolos PVC figure.  I just reposed it to be more upright, repainted it, and added a sword made from a metal daemon prince sword plus a spawn tentacle for a handle.  Some more pics:

tumblr_orz68bbgkB1woua6zo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz68bbgkB1woua6zo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_orz68bbgkB1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

I like how it turned out as well, but the paint job was a bit rushed to meet an ETC deadline.  I've been meaning to go back and re-work it somewhat, but now that I mostly hang out at a GW store instead of an independent I can't use it anyway, which pushed it way, way down in the queue.

I'll get back to him eventually.  I still have every intention of doing a small side detachment of chaos daemons after I've filled out my Chaos marines to a more playable size, and he'll be part of that.  But right now the top of the queue looks more like:

1 - rhinos, dreadclaw, defiler

2 - cultists, havocs, CSM icons, possibly re-base the CSMs, or at least their champions

3 - terminators, including abaddon & the sorc

4 - fix up the lord, paint the smith (possibly converting him to a fw dark mech guy on abeyant)

5 - drakes, maybe a fiend and/or some of the brutes

And, as is obvious from the inventory, there's a ton of other stuff waiting that may or may not jump the queue depending on how the mood takes me.  Finishing the half-started revisions to the winged prince & doing up a retinue of warp talons for him is a very tempting possibility, and the only thing keeping it off the queue so far is that, due to pilfering raptor & warp talon bits for other projects, I'd need to buy another box of them to get the unit up to 10, and between my lack of funds and the huge piles of unpainted stuff I already have to work on - including bunches of stuff not yet pictured that is currently either unassembled or poorly painted in the old colors, I'd rather not buy any new models right now.

Added a few stragglers to the inventory:

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_os48hhoYlM1woua6zo4_1280.jpg

Painting progress on CSM stuff has been slow.  I've been falling way behind on the horus heresy raven guard commission I'm supposed to be working on (link), so my hobby time this week has gone into finishing one of five castellax battle automata that are part of that pile, so I have at least something I can give to the guy to show I haven't forgotten about him.

Edited by malisteen

Very little progress on the defiler this week - I've fallen way behind on the commission work so I had to prioritize that - but 'little progress' isn't the same as 'none':

tumblr_os4i3o72F81woua6zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_os4i3o72F81woua6zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_os4i3o72F81woua6zo3_1280.jpg

The base coat gold is pretty much done on the lower body - just one or two missed spots I noticed taking these pictures, plus one or two incorrectly painted bits I'll have to go back and fix later.  Upper body's only just started.  This is one of the longer steps in the whole process, so hopefully once I finish it the next few applications will go quicker.

Quick question, where is the tail from your Daemon Prince from?

Sorry i missed your question. The prince's tail is from an old wood elf forest dragon, back when the model had one rider instead of two, and didnt have newts and fairies crawling all over it. :p

And thanks for your compliments & encouragement, coming from you that means a lot! Not that i don't appreciate encouragement from anyone else, mind...

Or, well, most anyone else. Sometimes a good rivalry is more more motivating than a pile of supporters.

Not that i miss him or anything. It's not like i go to bed every night thinking about him, wondering what ever became of him, or if i'll ever see his stupid, punchably beautiful face again...

• 1 month later...

tumblr_oulmfzGpYj1woua6zo1_1280.png

tumblr_oulmfzGpYj1woua6zo2_1280.png

tumblr_oulmfzGpYj1woua6zo3_1280.png

Finally got family stuff & work emergencies under control, and I finished something for the Raven Guard commission (link), so today for the first time in over a month I finally had time to get some work done on my defiler.  Seven grueling hours at the game store later, though, and I’ve only finished the base coats.  This guy still has a long, long ways to go.

I’m trying to work up the energy to do the first earth shade wash tonight - over all the gold, skin, & bone, and some of the steel.  Don't think I have it in me, though, as it’s going on nine already.  I only have two and a half weeks left to get this thing done for Diu Ad Belli.  Not sure I’m going to manage.  It’ll be tight.

On the up side, it got a welcome discount to its points cost in the new codex.  And while I personally might have preferred a boost to its weapon skill and ballistic skill, there is a new stratagem for daemon engines that will provide some re-rolls to help with that.  Maybe he’ll actually see some use when I finish?
I also picked up a box of terminators, the Chaos Marine datacards, and the epub version of the codex.  I meant to buy ADB’s new Black Legion novel, but apparently the physical copy of that isn’t out till next week, so I put it on order.  I’d just buy it on digital, but I found my hardcover copy of the previous book, Talon of Horus, while rummaging around in some boxes a few days ago, so I figured I might as well get a matching version of the sequel.

Resisting the urge to buy the epub or mp3 copy while I wait will be a challenge, though.  I’ll try to hold off by re-reading the previous book.

Edited by malisteen

Even without the shade I think the defiler is looking really good! Daemonic mutated look for the right arm is especially cool. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Keep hearing good things about ADB's black legion series, sounds like I might have to get around to reading it myself.

Thanks!  As with most of the conversion on this defiler, the arm is a fix it job after the model was broken by years of bad storage.  I think it came out pretty well!  Was meant as a generic extra close combat weapon.  In the new book I guess I'll call it a scourge.

While I can't vouch for Black Legion personally myself, the first book, Talon of Horus, was fantastic.  I can't recommend it highly enough to Chaos Marine and in particular Black Legion fans.

Eh, it's in the playlist - https://youtu.be/lcg6wekmCRA?list=PLRgcwtw4-fGMCj3bauqklfe7K_5mvIrnH

There are actually a lot of solid songs for the Black Legion - AC/DC's Back in Black, Dethklok's The Galaxy, Heart's Black on Black II, heck we even have an official theme song in H.M. Kids' Black Legion (though the 'Burn Maim Kill' chorus of that song seems a better fit for World Eaters).  Frustratingly, though, while there are a lot of 'pretty good' songs for the Black Legion - again, check the playlist - I don't think we or any other legion will ever have a theme song so perfect as the Prince of Egypt soundtrack's Playing with the Big Boys is for Thousand Sons.

Edited by malisteen

got the earthshade done, took two sessions over two days.  Trying to do a little bit every day, only way I'm going to finish in time.  No pics of that yet.

Hobby ADD is kicking in hard, though.  I already ordered stuff for my next project:

99120102058_CSMTerminatorCommand07.jpg

1x Terminator Lord's Cadre

http://www.bitzstore.com/8736-large_default/bolter-cataphractii-terminators-the-horus-heresy.jpg

10x Cataphractii bolter bits

http://www.bitzstore.com/en/cataphractii-terminators/3068-bolter-cataphractii-terminators-the-horus-heresy.html

710x528_19129401_11155441_1497235490.jpg

10x shapeways 3rd party combi-plasma bits

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V6XGGBSE9/10x-combi-plasma-calth-terminator-bit

plus a few magnets from K&J

With these, plus the terminators I already have assembled, and the handful in pieces but still salvagable, and some spare bits I have lying around, I should be able to put together a solid unit of 10 with a variety of decent, if-not-especially-chaotic looking magnetized combi weaponry (maybe I'll try to chaos them up a bit w/ some green stuff), plus a selection of melee weapons, a couple reapers, and the icon bearer (still need to swap out the big khorne symbol for a more generic eye or chaos star).  These plus Abby, 3 terminator sorcerers, and a termi lord (to round out the alignments).  Just a shame you need a full 10 for the second reaper, as 8 plus the five characters would have made an aesthetically pleasing 13.

If combi plasma ever drops off in efficiency vs other options, I'll have the bits to run them as regular combi bolters, and the same vendor on shapeways sells bits for melta halves.  Hopefully they'll add the flamer halves in the future.  I considered also ordering their 'dark legion' shoulder emblems, to re-do my stuff with 'proper' Black Legion iconography, but... I've grown attached to my variant big red eyes.  I don't know, we'll see.  Maybe in the future.  I guess in part it depends on how the bits I already ordered turn out.  I haven't ordered from them in the past, we'll see.

tumblr_ouuwgcSjFY1woua6zo1_1280.png

finished the eathshade, and the gold (retributor, liberator, a sepia wash, liberator again, and P3 quick silver).  May have gone a bit overboard on that last highlight, will consider it tomorrow and maybe re-apply in some areas from the sepia.

Other than that, still have to do:

the steel bits (touchups, another wash, a couple highlights)

The black bits (basecoat in 1x grey, 4x black, a couple edge highlights)

The daemonic fleshy bits (touchups, purple wash, mid tone, red wash, mid tone, highlights x2, maybe up from a wash again, we’ll see)

miscelaneous details (bone bits, wires, lights, flayed skin, rivots, etc; all with their own washes, mid tones, & highlights)

So…. a long way yet to go.

tumblr_ov68jzJBYI1woua6zo1_1280.jpg

Gold is pretty much done done. I did end up re-doing a lot of it. Steel is mostly done, apart from the final edge highlight and a bunch of rivets & other odds & ends. First layer blocking in the black panels is on, will need at least one more. Still a ways to go, but it’s starting to come together.

Edited by malisteen