8th Edition Knights

Lord_Ikka

And there in lies the comparison , you have feet on everyone , knights with guns will also have the sword , AND a ranged weapon

The combat effectiveness of a Gallant is not superior to any other knights and its drawbacks are essentially a lack of a role when its not in combat

Its only draw is that its cheap.

Having had a chance to use and fight knights finally I can safely say the gallant still has his use. If you're list isn't hurting for ranged weapons and you want your knight in combat the gallant is absolutely the best choice and not because of price.

My opponents knight had serious issues wounding my land raiders with the reaper due to needing threes instead of twos. Having the option to pick the best weapon for the situation in all combat situations will make the gallant incredibly useful, especially when you can fall back and charge again. You can even fall back over enemy infantry helping you get past bubble wrapping units.

Of course if you're only going to have one knight I'd probably take one of the others but it's not a bad choice in the right lists.

I respectfully disagree here again , because the thunderstrike gauntlet is not  unique to the  gallant. 

In multi knight lists ( which I often run)  I will usually give one plastic knight a gauntlet and that is my warden. 

If your running multiple knights then you normally can usually apply the right weapon for the right job by selecting your correct knight. 

The Gallant is deficient its verity of weapons is nothing that another knight cant simply select.  Having feet the gauntlet and the reaper    mean it can ONLY  effect one part of the game ( unless you buy it a carapace )   If it gained an additional attack it would be worth a go maybe.  Especially with how titanic feet work.  Or maybe if it was the only pattern of knight that did not  suffer the -1 to hit while swinging it. 

As it stands now in mono knight lists putting a fist here or there  is fine  you dont NEED the gallant to be a multi tool in  close combat  if your running between 3 and 5 knights  

The Gallant's greatest use has been, as the cheapest Knight, to fit into lists with few points to spare.  I think it can still serve that role, though with the general increases to the performance of Knights across the board it may be more useful to trim points somewhere else to afford an Errant instead.

The problem with being able to take the gauntlet over the sword rather than having both is against most enemies you face the gauntlet is inferior, especially once the knight starts to degrade. The gauntlet is better against T7, T8, and anything above T12. The problem is unless fighting other knights or vehicle heavy lists you won't see much t7 or 8. Unless you really have nothing better to spend the points on most knights are better off with the chainsword as it will wound just as well as the gauntlet against the majority of enemies while hitting better. Since the gallant has both by default it does not matter what it gets into combat with, you will always have the appropriate weapon for the task.

So if you want a knight purely to get stuck into combat and you don't own a lancer the gallant is better for that role than any of the other GW knights.

That's not to say the Gallant should be any sort of priority. Until knights get a codex and hopefully ways to grant bonuses and re rolls to the army I feel the ranged knights are far better and you should just take the chainsword since its the standard. If you really want to try and take things out in melee though a Gallant is far better in a take all comers list.

I do agree that it should have a bonus attack or something but who knows what will happen in the future.

Good Morning, I had stopped by this post hoping for some answers but the question has uet to be asked.

I have a GW Knight I want to add to my Sisters of Battle army, but I was wondering about what would add the most. Would a Crusader with a Thermal Cannon and Avenger cannon be more effective or a Battle Cannon and Avenger for longer range?

Someone had suggested an Errant with a gauntlet.

If I had to pick one - Warden with Gauntlet and Stormspear. 

The Avenger gatling canon is the best against all kind of infantry, and it not really that far behind the other two against heavy vehicles. The gauntlet shores up that weakness nicely. Lastly, the Stormspear's an auto-take for general utility.

If you care more about anti-horde, then an honourable mention goes to a Crusader with a RFBC and Stormspear. Expensive, but the highest number of shots you can get.

I did some mathhammer about the expected number of wounds for the various weapons.

Edited by momerathe

If I had to pick one - Warden with Gauntlet and Stormspear. 

The Avenger gatling canon is the best against all kind of infantry, and it not really that far behind the other two against heavy vehicles. The gauntlet shores up that weakness nicely. Lastly, the Stormspear's an auto-take for general utility.

Seconded, I think the torrent the Warden can generate is probably the most consistent firepower a "basic" IK can get.  The Heavy Flamer is a nice bonus, too.

After a few games and many lists, I actually quite like the gallant. Its very easy to fit in a list, and it has a simple in game role. Get across the board and mess stuff up. It works well with Admesh especially since our combat options just aren't that good, and without battle servitors our army can become very immobile, very quickly. 

​I've also been deploying it similarly to a unit of conscripts as in I'm fine if it gets charged since it can just leave combat anyway, and allow me to shoot the unit. Between 40 conscripts and the Gallant I can make my army all but immune to first turn charges on my guns. 

Edited by Baluc

• 3 weeks later...

If you had to have one Knight as AdMech, I would say Crusader with TC and Avenger. RFBC is too expensive and your Knight should always be getting up close and personal in this edition. Feet > Gauntlet > Reaper.

The runner-up would be the Warden with a Gauntlet. I would never run a Gallant in AdMech; we have such excellent anti-tank already. So if you want a can opener, use an Errant with a Gauntlet instead.

Edited by Suzuteo

Honestly I think the archeon is probably one of the best for it's. it's 2d6 hits with str 7, ap-2 Damage 3 for it's flamer weapon, which means it can kill most light vehicles and cripple most tanks laughably easily, not to mention killing infantry.

Also, gotta say despite it being expensive the RFBC is still really good at wounding infantry and tanks. there is no minimum range so it doesn't matter how close you get, and it's enough to kill a tank when your neutron lasers fail to kill that stupid rhino right next to the front of your lines.

One interesting thing is that you dont have to worry about danger close anymore , like at all ,  all of these weapons that were  large blasts and were dangerous to use point blank no longer are. You just sort of fire at whatever with no worries about scattering back onto yourself.  

Testing out my Acheron in a Mechanicus army this weekend. Think he's gonna be a brutal distraction carnifex while my robot blob load up their protector protocols.

I think knights are looking great this edition. More fun to play with and against, and still very strong. A lot of lists in the ETC seem to revolve around 3 knights, which is usually a good sign. The FW ones seem quite balanced and interesting, even if they changed a lot of them - especially the melee weapons of my castigator and the acheron flamer. 

The Porphyrion seems a bit much though - actually turned me off from buying one. It just seems like a hard counter against other knight lists, superheavies and so on. I mean he'll just brutalize them. 4 -12 shots over 72 range, hitting on 2+ and doing 6 damage each. Doesn't do much against hordes though - and that's a pretty uninteresting game mechanic. If you play against someone with knights, he won't have fun, if you play against anyone else, you won't have fun. It looks fantastic though, so I hope they rework it a bit - perhaps by releasing a new weapon kit for it with a more fun ruleset.

Are any of the non forgrworld variants worth taking in a admech list?

Yes. But again, depends on if you are doing AdMech with Knights or Knights with AdMech. If you are taking a lone Knight (which is common, since you only get one Lord of War in a lot of tournaments), then you take a Crusader. If you are taking multiple Knights, you want to take three Knights that complement one another.

Since i have been playing some games and i believe i have a good impression of the new edition i ll add a few tips. Ad mech and knights are not what it used to be. And till we get a codex that will provide sunergy with a knight i will prefer admech units. A knight cost somewhere around 2 onagers and 2 robots. Or close to that. Why would i prefer a knight over better saves more wound more options etc.

In war convo knights had canticles. Now it has not. Our units get cantiles get healing rerolls etc. Wont take a knight unless it is a knight list or has at least 3 knights and something else.

Now if you consider Robots not good in melee or slow and you cant seem to get the ad mech units in par with your melee heavy playstyle then i d accept a knight. But remember knights cost force you to both shoot and melee every single round to get his points worth each turn. That said Lancer would be my first knight pick. If you dont want/have FW a simple gatling melee knight would be ok.

Remember everything can die this edition especially big expensive knight walkers. No buffs no healing no reason to take a 598 Crusader to stay back. Take a knight that can move round one towards enemy and never forget to play him full to earn his points back.

Edited by Yoda79

Yeah. It's ironic. To maximize your investment, you have to be aggressive. Expect your Knight to be dead by the end of every game. That being said, don't just charge them turn one into a bunch of meltaguns. Use them to screen and take objectives; they actually move really fast. Remember: the power of a Knight is that it cannot be ignored. The longer the game goes on, as your artillery removes more and more anti-vehicle threats (despite our high unit counts, we aren't exactly worrying about anti-horde), the more pressure there will be on your opponent to commit resources that aren't optimal for killing Knights to the task of killing Knights.