Some Help with finding a good 40k Story

Bedouin2

Hey everyone,

So I've been pretty heavy with reading the past while, mostly with the Horus Heresy, and yesterday I finished the last of my books in "to read" list. So I come here to ask, what stories (novels, novellas, short stories) can ya'll recommend that isn't predictable right from the start, maybe sheds some light and reveals some obscure or lesser known lore, isn't just filled with fight scenes (I find myself just skimming over those parts) and gets down into the psyche of the characters who share meaningful insights and have deep conversations with the ones around them (whether for "good" or "bad")? Also a story who's nature is dark and grim. I don't really care much for happy endings.

I mostly read about Space Marines, but any other faction out there is game. Now that the B&C allows Xenos, something about them would be great as well.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to recommend anything. I just want to have a good insight into what i'll be reading before I buy it.  

Believe me, you should love The Emperor's Gift.

Fantastic novel. I'd recommend reading Ravenor and Eisenhorn before it though. They aren't directly connected in terms of plot, but there's a moment that will feel far more fulfilling if you've read Ravenor (and to read Ravenor you gotta start with Eisenhorn in my opinion).

B&C allows xenos discussion now? That's cool.

Anything by Peter Fehervari. Go pick up Fire Caste

Fully agree with DC. Fehervari is brilliant. The only way you can't like dark stories from Peter is if you as a human does not have even a leg of imagination.

Bedouin2

As to the other good books:

Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin/Gaunts Ghosts is a must read. Some of the stuff are old, but it is still GOOD.

Fehervari other novel 'Genestealers Cult' and 'Fire and Ice' novella are aamazing too.

From the SMB books  - Wrath of Iron, Legion of the Damned and Battle for the Fang are brilliant.

From the traitors side - Reynolds 'Word Bearers' trilogy and A D-B Night Lords  trilogy are amazing. And the new 'Fabius:Primogenitor' from Joshua Reynolds is a masterpiece.

'Carrion Throne' and upcoming 'Inquisitor: Ressurrection' are brillaint too in the descriptioness of the awesome settings.