Azrael kitbash help

GreenMoss

With new rules and new life for my beloved Greenwing I feel it's finally time to add the Grand Master himself to my collection. Have a bit of dilemma though. On one hand, I believe named characters ought to be represented by their official models. On the other, I hate painting metal and also slightly resent that in all these years Azrael's model has not received an update. Long story short, I'd love to get some feedback on this kitbash. I've never tried making a named character before and I want the Boss to be properly represented so please consider this just a first draft.

Few things I wanted to get some feedback on specifically.

1) Wings on the backpack? Too much or fine for Chapter Master? Should I maybe even get rid of the banner since it's so generic?

2) Stuff on his belt. I think dagger and keys are fine but what do you think about grenages? Holster better? (my idea was that metal grenages would be a nice contrast with robe's cloth and will add some interest to a fairly large dull area). 

3) The head. Not my favorite but it's the best one I have for the purpose. 

Obviously anything else that comes to mind too. I should also add that my sculpting skills are non-existent so trying to stick with pretty simple stuff. 

image1 (1)

image3 (1)

Edited by Mossada

1) Wings on the backpack? Too much or fine for Chapter Master? Should I maybe even get rid of the banner since it's so generic?

2) Stuff on his belt. I think dagger and keys are fine but what do you think about grenages? Holster better? (my idea was that metal grenages would be a nice contrast with robe's cloth and will add some interest to a fairly large dull area). 

3) The head. Not my favorite but it's the best one I have for the purpose. 

1) I think if anything, removing the banner will give you a weird space in the middle which is "framed" by the wings. Perhaps you could swap it for an Icon instead?

2) I think you're right and the grenades will add a bit of "texture" to the otherwise flat robe. I don't think it looks overly busy.

3) Head is okay; mimics the shouting head of the original model. Don't think there are many plastic ones that would suit better.

Misc) Think about how you're going to pose his right arm, because the Combi-Plasma you've got (with the strap on it) is going to look really unnatural if the strap is falling upwards against gravity!

1. The banner is generic but stil looks fine. I'd say keep it, he will look "too naked" without it. The wings are a bit overkill IMHO.

2. A holster on the belt would be good. Also very WYSIWYG and fluffy.

3. The head is just fine.

Here is my version of an Azrael kitbash (no sculpting skill required), maybe it will give you a few cool ideas:

IMG 20170408 184412

IMG 20170408 184602

I would convert a primaris. Make the chapter master bigger!

see i've had this coming up all over the internet. I dunno it just seems wrong to me to make him now be huge because a upscale happened. He is of course still the original space marine size. 

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter Master is finally finished. Decided to go without stuff on his belt for cleaner look. I'm about 80% happy with it. Both arms are magnetised which makes for much easier transport but I didn't put magnets in exactly the right spots so his sword arm is a bit lower than it should be I feel. Would love to get some other feedback.

IMG 1038

Edited by Mossada

I'm not sure what to do to be honest. My options are ignoring magnet and gluing the arm a bit higher (and perhaps bolter arm a bit lower), pulling out magnets and redoing them or leaving as is. Redoing magnets is best but I'm really reluctant to do that cause pulling out a well-seated and flushed magnet without any damage to the model is pretty hard. Not sure if I wanna risk it. Gonna see how much it bothers me on the table.